Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
selib
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am

Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by selib » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Since Steam Greenlight(http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/) is now available, I wonder if there is any chance that 4LS tries, to get KS on Steam.

What do you think?

User avatar
Nobody in Particular
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Nowhere in particular

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Nobody in Particular » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 pm

No chance. Apparently Steam don't want to be affiliated with pornography. Even then KS is popular enough without Steam.

SaxtonHale
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by SaxtonHale » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Image
i think we're good

User avatar
misterprinny
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by misterprinny » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Nobody in Particular wrote:No chance. Apparently Steam don't want to be affiliated with pornography. Even then KS is popular enough without Steam.
This really.

To be honest, I'm a bit scared of mainstream gamers getting exposed to KS. "Heesaaayyyyyyyyohhhhhhh?"
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.

User avatar
misterprinny
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by misterprinny » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm

SaxtonHale wrote:Image
i think we're good
Some people find nudity offensive. Especially if said nudity features disabled chicks.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.

Enceladeans
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Enceladeans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Not happening.

1. 4LS has made it clear they don't want to bring KS to Steam (or any other platform).

2. Valve probably wouldn't accept it anyway because of the sex scenes.

3. It's a free game (genuinely free, not F2P crap). If Valve's going to host a game on Steam, they'd have to make money off it somehow. And any possible solution to that problem would likely just piss everyone off.

I agree it'd be nice if it was on Steam, if only because KS deserves more love, but don't count on it.

User avatar
Valyou
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 4:57 pm
Location: A desk in my house.
Contact:

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Valyou » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Those who are saying so wrote:VALVE wouldn't accept KS due to the sex.
That's not true, there's some games on Steam (Mass Effect and The Witcher I believe?) with sex. Granted, they're big-budget AAA titles, which probably give them a free pass rather than it being a small indie game. Plus, I'm sure that if VALVE accepted a game like The Binding of Isaac, with a deranged mother attempting to sacrifice her "corrupted" son, as the voice of God commands her, then I'm sure that cripple sex would be fine in Steam.
The only reason VALVE likely wouldn't accept it would probably just be because they don't want to distribute purely free games anymore, needing some sort of DLC or the like to get a free pass...
Unless...
Routes completed: Kenji, Hanako, Lilly
Next Routes: Rin, Emi, Shizune

Enceladeans
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Enceladeans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Valyou wrote:
Those who are saying so wrote:VALVE wouldn't accept KS due to the sex.
That's not true, there's some games on Steam (Mass Effect and The Witcher I believe?) with sex. Granted, they're big-budget AAA titles, which probably give them a free pass rather than it being a small indie game. Plus, I'm sure that if VALVE accepted a game like The Binding of Isaac, with a deranged mother attempting to sacrifice her "corrupted" son, as the voice of God commands her, then I'm sure that cripple sex would be fine in Steam.
The only reason VALVE likely wouldn't accept it would probably just be because they don't want to distribute purely free games anymore, needing some sort of DLC or the like to get a free pass...
Unless...
To most people, I think the mere presence of sex scenes, however sparse, coupled with the anime artstyle would make KS qualify as a hentai game in their book. We all know it's not one, of course, but they don't.

You're right, though. It'd be pretty funny if KS was too offensive for Steam while The Binding of Isaac is OK.

User avatar
Nobody in Particular
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Nowhere in particular

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Nobody in Particular » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Valyou wrote:
Those who are saying so wrote:VALVE wouldn't accept KS due to the sex.
That's not true, there's some games on Steam (Mass Effect and The Witcher I believe?) with sex. Granted, they're big-budget AAA titles, which probably give them a free pass rather than it being a small indie game. Plus, I'm sure that if VALVE accepted a game like The Binding of Isaac, with a deranged mother attempting to sacrifice her "corrupted" son, as the voice of God commands her, then I'm sure that cripple sex would be fine in Steam.
But as we all know incredibly graphic violence is so much better than showing even just a little nudity. From what I have heard Steam have rejected certain titles because of pornographic content (I think Mangagamer wanted an affiliation? I could be wrong.) and so either they are huge hypocrites or allow a certain level of porn. Either way I can't see them accepting KS because the porn content will most likely be way too high for their liking.

User avatar
Xanatos
Posts: 5365
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Xanatos » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Valyou wrote:
Those who are saying so wrote:VALVE wouldn't accept KS due to the sex.
That's not true, there's some games on Steam (Mass Effect and The Witcher I believe?) with sex. Granted, they're big-budget AAA titles, which probably give them a free pass rather than it being a small indie game. Plus, I'm sure that if VALVE accepted a game like The Binding of Isaac, with a deranged mother attempting to sacrifice her "corrupted" son, as the voice of God commands her, then I'm sure that cripple sex would be fine in Steam.
But as we all know incredibly graphic violence is so much better than showing even just a little nudity. From what I have heard Steam have rejected certain titles because of pornographic content (I think Mangagamer wanted an affiliation? I could be wrong.) and so either they are huge hypocrites or allow a certain level of porn. Either way I can't see them accepting KS because the porn content will most likely be way too high for their liking.
Society in general (at least here in the States) is batshit retarded about this stuff. Hostel and Nightmare on Elm Street and all sorts of that gorey psychotic shit is fine, but GOD HELP EVERYONE if someone sees a tit or hears a four-letter word. It's all a load of prudish bullshit.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."

Flotilla
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:44 am

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Flotilla » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:55 am

Enceladeans wrote:Not happening.

1. 4LS has made it clear they don't want to bring KS to Steam (or any other platform).

2. Valve probably wouldn't accept it anyway because of the sex scenes.

3. It's a free game (genuinely free, not F2P crap). If Valve's going to host a game on Steam, they'd have to make money off it somehow. And any possible solution to that problem would likely just piss everyone off.

I agree it'd be nice if it was on Steam, if only because KS deserves more love, but don't count on it.
Valve is surprisingly lenient with what they accept on Steam; many games currently on Steam feature full frontal nudity, sexual themes, extreme gore, etc etc etc.

And in addition, your third point is simply not true. Over the years, Valve has put MANY games on Steam, free of charge, no strings attached; for example, mods like Synergy, Zombie Panic, and Zombie Master. In addition, Coil, Codename Gordon, Moonbase Alpha, Trackmania, Alien Swarm... those are all games that have no F2P scheme to them, you can play them all with a Steam account you made two seconds ago. I only touched on a select few, but there are many more. Valve is understanding that offering freebies can attract more money than making people pay for them would.

Visual novels are slowly breaking into Steam as well, with one being released not more than a few weeks ago.


I'd like to invite the KS developers to take a look at Greenlight's FAQ: You might find it more agreeable than you think. Putting KS on Steam will require almost no work on your end, and Katawa Shoujo may indeed be able to use the 100% free model that many other games on Steam use, allowing over 40 million Steam users access to your VN, free of charge.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/abou ... ection=faq

Yes I made an account to type all this

SaxtonHale
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by SaxtonHale » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:03 am

Flotilla wrote:
Enceladeans wrote:Not happening.

1. 4LS has made it clear they don't want to bring KS to Steam (or any other platform).

2. Valve probably wouldn't accept it anyway because of the sex scenes.

3. It's a free game (genuinely free, not F2P crap). If Valve's going to host a game on Steam, they'd have to make money off it somehow. And any possible solution to that problem would likely just piss everyone off.

I agree it'd be nice if it was on Steam, if only because KS deserves more love, but don't count on it.
Valve is surprisingly lenient with what they accept on Steam; many games currently on Steam feature full frontal nudity, sexual themes, extreme gore, etc etc etc.

And in addition, your third point is simply not true. Over the years, Valve has put MANY games on Steam, free of charge, no strings attached; for example, mods like Synergy, Zombie Panic, and Zombie Master. In addition, Coil, Codename Gordon, Moonbase Alpha, Trackmania, Alien Swarm... those are all games that have no F2P scheme to them, you can play them all with a Steam account you made two seconds ago. I only touched on a select few, but there are many more. Valve is understanding that offering freebies can attract more money than making people pay for them would.

Visual novels are slowly breaking into Steam as well, with one being released not more than a few weeks ago.


I'd like to invite the KS developers to take a look at Greenlight's FAQ: You might find it more agreeable than you think. Putting KS on Steam will require almost no work on your end, and Katawa Shoujo may indeed be able to use the 100% free model that many other games on Steam use, allowing over 40 million Steam users access to your VN, free of charge.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/abou ... ection=faq

Yes I made an account to type all this
This.
I see no issues with KS being on Steam whatsoever, unless someone considers an increase in popularity an issue(which it isn't).
I made an account to post in this thread too.

Enceladeans
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Enceladeans » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:35 pm

Flotilla wrote:
Enceladeans wrote:Not happening.

1. 4LS has made it clear they don't want to bring KS to Steam (or any other platform).

2. Valve probably wouldn't accept it anyway because of the sex scenes.

3. It's a free game (genuinely free, not F2P crap). If Valve's going to host a game on Steam, they'd have to make money off it somehow. And any possible solution to that problem would likely just piss everyone off.

I agree it'd be nice if it was on Steam, if only because KS deserves more love, but don't count on it.
Valve is surprisingly lenient with what they accept on Steam; many games currently on Steam feature full frontal nudity, sexual themes, extreme gore, etc etc etc.

And in addition, your third point is simply not true. Over the years, Valve has put MANY games on Steam, free of charge, no strings attached; for example, mods like Synergy, Zombie Panic, and Zombie Master. In addition, Coil, Codename Gordon, Moonbase Alpha, Trackmania, Alien Swarm... those are all games that have no F2P scheme to them, you can play them all with a Steam account you made two seconds ago. I only touched on a select few, but there are many more. Valve is understanding that offering freebies can attract more money than making people pay for them would.

Visual novels are slowly breaking into Steam as well, with one being released not more than a few weeks ago.


I'd like to invite the KS developers to take a look at Greenlight's FAQ: You might find it more agreeable than you think. Putting KS on Steam will require almost no work on your end, and Katawa Shoujo may indeed be able to use the 100% free model that many other games on Steam use, allowing over 40 million Steam users access to your VN, free of charge.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/abou ... ection=faq

Yes I made an account to type all this
Well then, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure 4LS has no interest in bringing it to Steam. Then again, it's always possible for people to change their minds. And if it did end up on Greenlight, I know they'd have my vote.

User avatar
Valyou
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 4:57 pm
Location: A desk in my house.
Contact:

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Valyou » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:02 pm

Flotilla wrote:
Enceladeans wrote:Not happening.
And in addition, your third point is simply not true. Over the years, Valve has put MANY games on Steam, free of charge, no strings attached; for example, mods like Synergy, Zombie Panic, and Zombie Master. In addition, Coil, Codename Gordon, Moonbase Alpha, Trackmania, Alien Swarm... those are all games that have no F2P scheme to them, you can play them all with a Steam account you made two seconds ago. I only touched on a select few, but there are many more. Valve is understanding that offering freebies can attract more money than making people pay for them would.
Well, those freebies were added to Steam long before VALVE pumped out free-to-play games with money-related bells and whistles, so I'm not confident they're going to accept it unless it has DLC, item stores, or (maybe) is a Source/Half-Life 1 mod.
If KS itself would be accepted by VALVE, I think 4Leaf's going to say no to Steam distribution regardless.
I'm a little amazed VALVE even considers VNs a genre of games though.
Routes completed: Kenji, Hanako, Lilly
Next Routes: Rin, Emi, Shizune

Flotilla
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:44 am

Re: Katawa Shoujo on Steam?

Post by Flotilla » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 pm

Valyou wrote:
Flotilla wrote:
Enceladeans wrote:Not happening.
And in addition, your third point is simply not true. Over the years, Valve has put MANY games on Steam, free of charge, no strings attached; for example, mods like Synergy, Zombie Panic, and Zombie Master. In addition, Coil, Codename Gordon, Moonbase Alpha, Trackmania, Alien Swarm... those are all games that have no F2P scheme to them, you can play them all with a Steam account you made two seconds ago. I only touched on a select few, but there are many more. Valve is understanding that offering freebies can attract more money than making people pay for them would.
Well, those freebies were added to Steam long before VALVE pumped out free-to-play games with money-related bells and whistles, so I'm not confident they're going to accept it unless it has DLC, item stores, or (maybe) is a Source/Half-Life 1 mod.
If KS itself would be accepted by VALVE, I think 4Leaf's going to say no to Steam distribution regardless.
I'm a little amazed VALVE even considers VNs a genre of games though.
Moonbase Alpha was added little more than a year ago, as was Alien Swarm. In addition, a game was released just the other day (Super Crate Box) for absolutely free. F2P schemes are not compulsory for your game to be on Steam for no cost.

And Valve does indeed entertain the idea of having visual novels on Steam: I believe one or two were added in the last few weeks.

Post Reply