KS like books

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Jawaberztoc

KS like books

Post by Jawaberztoc »

Does anyone know of any books that would give me the same (or similar) emotional feeling as reading through KS?

Mainly because I fell like I have this hole in me since Ive finished, and I need some other thing to read and get attached to, like a book with a male protagonist and a bunch of characters that are really easy to fall in love with. Thanks guys, help would be really appreciated.
RecoiL

Re: KS like books

Post by RecoiL »

You can go read fanfics, there are some really good ones. If you insist on completely unrelated books though, I suggest something with a main protagonist you can easily relate to. One of the reasons I loved the novel, and the girls in it is because I could easily relate to the protagonist. He's 18, as old as me, and with a rather similar mindset and interests yeah, that goes for his retarded side too.
Image Gluehuffers, all of you.
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Do you want real books or manga?

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson) is a very good fantasy series. There are a lot of characters, around 2400 last time anyone counted. The story is told from many characters' perspective, which gives you many different kind of feels. The last book will be released January 8th 2013.

If you are okay with manga, I recommend these:

• i am here! (Koko ni Iru Yo)
• School Rumble
• Kanon & Air Sky
• Peach Girl
(At least the anime had feels :'c)
• The Wallflower (I haven't read the manga yet, but a friend told me it's great)
• Love Hina (It's not exactly the kind of feels KS has, but you should definitely read it ^^)
• MM! (Sometimes written as Emu Emu!)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

I unfortunately can't recommend any books (I think most emotional books would be romance, which I don't read), but I would recommend the visual novel Symphonic Rain as it shares many similarities with KS emotionally except taken up a few notches. Clannad is apparently very emotional as well.

Actually looking back at your post the whole VN medium seems to fit it more or less perfectly, I would recommend looking into it
magzh

Post by magzh »

You can try this manga:
aku no hana
It also talks about a person who is in love in school. Main character doesn't have arrhythmia but he does have a few problems MUCH bigger than that ^^
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Its curious that people that play Visual novels wont read romantic novels, isn't it?
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Tomate wrote:Its curious that people that play Visual novels wont read romantic novels, isn't it?
Well I gave them a shot but I didn't like them, I think it's a genre more suited to the VN medium. I learned my lesson after Twilight. Lolita was pretty good, but I wouldn't necessarily call that "romance" or at least not the usual form of it.
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

OtakuNinja wrote:The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson) is a very good fantasy series. There are a lot of characters, around 2400 last time anyone counted. The story is told from many characters' perspective, which gives you many different kind of feels.
I agree that it's a quite nice fantasy series, but no. Just no. You can't get feels outa that, it's just not written to be emotional. Same with pretty much everything in the fantasy ganre.
Nobody in Particular wrote:Actually looking back at your post the whole VN medium seems to fit it more or less perfectly, I would recommend looking into it
I agree with nobody in particular ._. . Books rich in the feels are pretty heavy and hard to read, and require a lot of imagination. VNs make it easier and somewhat more enjoyable for the reader to immerse in the story.

Besides, there are some VNs really worth checking out, even if you're not that big fan of the ganre.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

RecoiL wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson) is a very good fantasy series. There are a lot of characters, around 2400 last time anyone counted. The story is told from many characters' perspective, which gives you many different kind of feels.
I agree that it's a quite nice fantasy series, but no. Just no. You can't get feels outa that, it's just not written to be emotional. Same with pretty much everything in the fantasy ganre.
You cant get feels from anything, not the fuzzy warm feelings of KS, but feels nonetheless.
There are lots of books that gave me the "cant sleep thinking about the meaning of the story feel" or the "very sad after the ending feel".
I got it from books like Blood Meridian, and trust me, there is nothing in common between KS and Blood Meridian.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

Tomate wrote:You cant get feels from anything, not the fuzzy warm feelings of KS, but feels nonetheless.
There are lots of books that gave me the "cant sleep thinking about the meaning of the story feel" or the "very sad after the ending feel".
I got it from books like Blood Meridian, and trust me, there is nothing in common between KS and Blood Meridian.
A valid point.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Tomate wrote:
RecoiL wrote:
You cant get feels from anything, not the fuzzy warm feelings of KS, but feels nonetheless.
RecoiL, I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant was that you get a lot of different feels from the WoT. :) There are the happy ones, in the beginning of the series and in "Towers of Midnight". The feels of despair, when you follow the story from Rand's perspective. The laughter, when you follow Mat on his journeys... And so on. :)
Oh, and don't forget about Lord Weiramon! :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

If you don't mind overly flowery language, Jane Austen's stuff (Pride and Prejudice, Emma is surprisingly entertaining. The complications aren't like what KS or most VNs offer, but her characters are genuine people.

It's a bit of a reach, yeah, it's just what I'm reading right now.

If you're looking for novels featuring people who have disabilities, most Wikipedia pages for various conditions have "such-and-such in pop culture" sections, and you can find some stuff in there.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Roots: The Saga of an American Family (My feels were so strong about what happen to my people that I wanted to go out and punch the very first white person I saw.)

Native Son

Invisible Man
yummines

Post by yummines »

It depends what kind of feels. Anything from John Steinbeck gave me huge downer feels, especially "Of Mice and Men"

I'm not too big on Romance novels, but I'm sure some manga or anime could fill in for that. Some, like Cowboy Bebop or Toradora! are well written