Here are some tips for dealing with Katawa Soujo depression.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yassodude

Here are some tips for dealing with Katawa Soujo depression.

Post by yassodude »

First of all , I played KS a week ago and I got and especially bad case of the feels (reasons which I explained in Hanako's Broken Heart Club) , but after hours and hours of thinking and reflecting on the whole experience , I got it boiled down to a few essential points that helped me get through "The Feels" :
1 It's Just A Game : I know , you're thinking "Of course it's just a game we knew that" But that's not what I emant . KS is Perfect . Not as in "ERMAGERD ITS AWESOME" but as in the event's that happen in it are too well planned and convenient for it to happen in real life. Think about it , Hisao starts out like most of us , in high school , lonely and he has a crush , which is why most of us instantly connect with him. We consider him a version of ourselves , and so we are eager to find out how he improves his life so we can perhaps do the same. So when :His crush confesses , he gets a heart attack , she stops visiting him , he goes to a school with ungodly beautiful crippled girls , it just seems waay to convienient , and if you focus on that then you will realise more and more that it IS actually just a game , and an impossible series of events that we simply wish were true.

2 Even if it were possible , relationships don't work like that : Unless hisao has a magical love beam or is a ditsant relative of Barney Stinson, in real life you don't just "choose" the girl you want to love you. If you think hard about KS , Hisao is waay to lucky to even be human , he got Lilly to love him just by being nice and drinking tea , and got Emi to love him just by running and having sex ... Life doesn't work like that , the sooner you realize it the less time you'll spend hoping you get arrhythmia. (I know he did more but that's nothing compared to real life , unless you're freakishly hot but that means girls will probably f!@#k you then break your heart)

3 Do you deserve what you want ? : Despite the 2 previous points , there are some amazing women in the world , I'm pretty sure there are girls just as good as the ones in KS (nobody's perfect though) , but the thing is : Do you deserve them ? . Don't forget that it's not only up to you , it is also up to the girl , she also has her own taste in men , and unles she;s obsessed with JB and want's to marry him then I believe if she's a good woman she will set a high bar for her suitors. So do you believe you deserve that woman , that you are a man that's awesome enough to land an awesome woman . I heard a saying before "Women are like Cars , everyone want's a Ferrari" But like Ferrari's need money , women need affection and attention . Do you deserve a Ferrari , or will you just settle for a Prius ?

Last but not least :
4 Improve yourself : If you read the previous point , then you might either think , nah screw'em I'm good. Or : You're right . If it's the latter then get off your a$$ and IMPROVE. That's it improve on anything , lose weight, take up a hobby , practise your social skills anything , to bring yourself closer to someone deserving of a good life , and a good relationship. Good thing's don't come cheap (not money but effort) and you can't keep playing KS hoping that a beautiful blond blind half-scottish girls will knock on your door and offer to have sex ... Earn it , improve yourself so the odds of a good , beautiful , kind and trustworthy woman loving you increase , don't wait for a btter life ... Grab IT.

Well that's all I have , I'm not especially qualified to give advice but that's just the result of 5 consecutive days of thinking about nothing but KS , I hope people find their answer in this , and if you think I'm wrong or dumb just be kind about it , I'm not a therapist I'm just a gamer with a broken heart :( Yassodude out
Last edited by yassodude on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brogurt

Re: Tips on with Katawa Soujo depression .

Post by Brogurt »

5. Fap
Tomate

Re: Tips on dealing with Katawa Soujo depression .

Post by Tomate »

Introspection is nice and all that, but these things are getting silly. Its just a game, you play it, you get some major feels, a day or two later the feels are gone. Maybe if you finish the game and then do nothing for the next two weeks, the feels will endure for weeks. But if you finish the game and then you make yourself busy (play another game, go dancing, meet some friends, learn how to operate a bulldozer), your feels will vanish quickly.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
magzh

Post by magzh »

Tomate wrote:(play another game, go dancing, meet some friends, learn how to operate a bulldozer)
or learn how to read braille ^^ (that what I did after finishing the game LOL)
yassodude

Post by yassodude »

Learning to read Braille will just make them take longer to go away :( and Tomate , feels vary from one person to another :)
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

I agree with Tomate, KS is just like any other good story and reading a book, watching a film, playing a game or reading another VN will just abolish any depression you may have. Shouldn't last for more than a couple of days.
Zezin

Post by Zezin »

Oooookay
Yassodude. You are five types of stupid.
I don't like KS because I wish for a relationship like that (it would be nice though)
I like it because I have shared VERY similar experiences. It helped me confront my repressed memories and I have never felt better in my life.
Also we all know stuff like that never happens (or I hope we all do). That's why it's a STORY because it didn't HAPPEN
Even then for many people it's depressing to know, that life can't be like that. That they may not deserve it. Wouldn't that only make it worse?

Anyway. You are an idiot in so many ways.
yassodude

Post by yassodude »

Zezin what's the matter with you , I already said these are the stuff I came up with while trying to get over KS , I never said that's what happened to you , and I posted them here so anyone who shared a similar experience to mine can make use of them and perhaps get inspired , I'm not up for arguing that's not why I came here , but if you're so simple minded as to call me stupid just because you don't like KS for the same reason , then you honestly don't even deserve a response but I'm giving one anyway. Calling someone stupid over their opinion indicated a very dumb simple minded person , just go away you obviously don't even understand the meaning of the word stupid , because you said
Yassodude. You are five types of stupid.
I don't like KS because I wish for a relationship like that
So I'm stupid because I don't like KS for the same reason as you , listen to yourself Idiot ... I don't want your opinion , feel free to keep it to yourself and choke on it. could've voiced you objection without insult , now you just look childish , and you made me look childish too , seriously even in the Katawa Shoujo forums there are A-Holes who just want to piss people off ...

I mean you're not even going against what I say , you're repeating it
Also we all know stuff like that never happens (or I hope we all do). That's why it's a STORY because it didn't HAPPEN
Even then for many people it's depressing to know, that life can't be like that. That they may not deserve it. Wouldn't that only make it worse?
That doesn't contradict what I say that enforces it ... These are Ideas that might help people , feel free not to read them or do them . In fact I don't want you to make use of them .
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Destroy your feels by watching something else that will give you feels, which will make you forget your previous feels and then keep yourself occupied with the new feels until you're done with that. Repeat.

It's a vicious cycle, my friend. The Japanese are currently invading our minds. It is working.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

There are few feelings as awful as realizing that there is something wrong with one's life, but not knowing how to act on it. I guess that's why these things keep popping up on here.

The only way to fix things is to fix yourself. There will never be enough fictional characters to fill the gap inside of you. Expand your interests:

Hundreds of free online courses
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
yassodude

Post by yassodude »

Thnks everyone but I have no problems , this is really not for me , I already passed the feels , this is for anyone still having them , maybe it will help :)
Zezin

Re: Here are som tips for dealing with Katawa Soujo depressi

Post by Zezin »

I was under the impression you are saying that people are depressed because of these facts. I was replying saying this is things we knew from the beginning and it won't help any depression. You talked about how it was never going to happen. Then why do you like it for that. But you now state you wish it would happen. Which directly contradicts your original post.
Also you said it as if you were trying to insult people for still feeling depressed. Also some people just like being depressed.
yassodude

Re: Here are som tips for dealing with Katawa Soujo depressi

Post by yassodude »

Yeah I realized hat so I changed the title , these were supposed to be tips to help people GET THROUGH depression , and I understand that before it might've looked like I'm making fun of them but why would I when I am clearly one of them. This has been a misunderstanding. I (or anyone) am depressed because i WISH for it to be true but it isn't i don't see how that is contradictory. But after reading the other responses i realized that people though I was complaining from my own depression which is not the case :)
Pyramid Head

Re: Here are some tips for dealing with Katawa Soujo depress

Post by Pyramid Head »

Katawa Soujo? What is that, an extremely high proof rice whiskey? I thought that was spelled shochu.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Snow_Storm

Re: Here are some tips for dealing with Katawa Soujo depress

Post by Snow_Storm »

If you want a total feels killer, play Awful Fantasy 3, a romhack of Final Fantasy 3/6 made by the Something Awful crew. I started playing that right after Katawa Shoujo and my feels are completely dead and are now replaced with very black humor.

Here's an example of said amazing work!