Least favorite girl?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Who is your least favorite girl in Katawa Shoujo?

Lilly
7%
Hanako
9%
Rin
19%
Emi
15%
Shizune
28%
Misha
7%
Yuuko
5%
Akira
No votes
Meiko
No votes
Miki
3%
Sae
5%
Other (please specify)
1%

Total votes: 74

Oddball

Re: Least favorite girl?

Post by Oddball »

With Shizune, though, you discover there are reasons behind her shotgun attitude; largely her disparate relations with her father, sibling and cousins.
You say that like you don't get reasons for why the others act the way they do.

In fact, Shizune's reasons for acting the way she does are almost identical to Lilly's reasons. They just take it to opposite extremes. It's actually quite interesting how similar the two of them are, although I doubt either would willingly admit it.

They both take leadership rolls because they want to help those around them, they both go out of their way to prove to others that they are completley capable of taking care of themselves, neither likes to show any weakness, they both tend to be a bit hypocritical about the things they say are most important.

Lilly just takes a more subdued path and prefers to gently guide, rather than Shizune's in your face path where she forces others to follow.
Not Dead Yet
Beanwell

Post by Beanwell »

Rin is tied with Shizune.

What a load of bull.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oddball wrote:
Lilly just takes a more subdued path and prefers to gently guide, rather than Shizune's in your face path where she forces others to follow.
Lilly's saccharine approach to honesty is about as passive aggressive as you can get, and it, more than anything, is the source of the entire conflict. Shizune, at least, comes right out and says what she thinks; I'd take that over trying to guess every time.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Lilly's saccharine approach to honesty is about as passive aggressive as you can get, and it, more than anything, is the source of the entire conflict.
I was about to say something here, but then I realized that I had no idea whether you meant the conflict in her route or the conflict between her and Shizune.
Shizune, at least, comes right out and says what she thinks; I'd take that over trying to guess every time.
She really doesn't though. Hisao has to guess at everything with her. Always. She plays games with people, challenges them, and tries to manipulate them into doing what she wants, even over simple things like ordering in restaurants. It's not until the end of her route that she openly admits she has no real clue what she's doing as a leader and is fairly horrible at it. Part of her problem is trying to convince everyone around her that she's always in complete control of the situation, when she doesn't even know what she wants herself.

Lilly at leas knows what she wants, even if she tends to put it on the back burner in favor of not letting others down.
Not Dead Yet
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Emi's whole character and personality really pisses me off. Doubly ironic because her route hit me the hardest by far. It's chicks like her I wind up having a ridiculous predilection to, and wind up being mistakes. I like things that are bad for me, hahah.
... Danger.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Total Destruction wrote:Emi's whole character and personality really pisses me off. Doubly ironic because her route hit me the hardest by far. It's chicks like her I wind up having a ridiculous predilection to, and wind up being mistakes. I like things that are bad for me, hahah.
Exactly what is it about her you don't care for?
Not Dead Yet
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Oddball wrote:
Total Destruction wrote:Emi's whole character and personality really pisses me off. Doubly ironic because her route hit me the hardest by far. It's chicks like her I wind up having a ridiculous predilection to, and wind up being mistakes. I like things that are bad for me, hahah.
Exactly what is it about her you don't care for?
Semi-spoilers: She's very similar to a broad I dated for a very long time who kicked me to the curb much like the Bad End. Very enthusiastic in the sack, EXTREMELY distant about past damage and future plans. Would rather pretend there are no problems and deal with things on her own in the only way she knows how rather than take a chance, let someone in, and handle it together. Very hard to simply let go of because they unwittingly did so much to pull you out of a slump and helped you get your life together. I'm bullheaded and overzealous, and so is she, but she's also an evasive little scamp and I can't handle it.

I've been trying to properly articulate that for like ten minutes. I still don't think that's accurate.
... Danger.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I've been trying to properly articulate that for like ten minutes. I still don't think that's accurate.
I think I've got your meaning.
Not Dead Yet
I'm an Engineer

Post by I'm an Engineer »

Beanwell wrote:Rin is tied with Shizune.

What a load of bull.
It's only a unofficial poll, it's only a unofficial poll, it's only a unofficial poll....
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Helbereth wrote:Shizune, at least, comes right out and says what she thinks; I'd take that over trying to guess every time.
No, Misha does. :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Helbereth wrote:Shizune, at least, comes right out and says what she thinks; I'd take that over trying to guess every time.
Misha? She says what she believes Shizune thinks, but hardly ever speaks for herself. Only a few times does she actually do so, and she's even more evasive about it than anyone else in the entire story. The rooftop scene is the only time she ever just lets things out.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Helbereth wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:
Misha? She says what she believes Shizune thinks, but hardly ever speaks for herself. Only a few times does she actually do so, and she's even more evasive about it than anyone else in the entire story. The rooftop scene is the only time she ever just lets things out.
I meant; Shizune doesn't say what she thinks, Misha does it for her. :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
andivegito

Post by andivegito »

I don't like Misha too much. Simply cause I knew someone like her when I was in school and it just annoyed that hell outta me.
A close second would be Shizune, I just didn't like her character.
The eternal question that hunts, the one that strikes fear into the hearts of many. Why?
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar »

Oddball wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: I think the main reason people don't like Shizune is because of Misha, and the fact that you can't communicate directly with her. In the scene when they're building stalls, she's pretty nice. :)
If anything, I think Misha provides a nice buffer between the way Shizune acts and how others are able to interact with her. Misah makes Shizune more likable to me.

It's just a shame that Misha by herself is also far and above more sympathetic and likeable than the girl she's supposed to be just a supporting cast member for.
I have to agree. Granted, I haven't gone through Shizune's arc yet, but from all the interactions with her in Act 1 and the other arcs she comes off as bossy, arrogant, condescending, and quick to anger. And this is through the filter of bubbling happiness that is Misha.
yummines

Post by yummines »

Beanwell wrote:Rin is tied with Shizune.

What a load of bull.

I think the main reason people don't like Rin is that they don't understand her. I think those that do like her a lot, or at least don't dislike her.