Is There Any Character That You Really Hate Seeing?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Is There Any Character That You Really Hate Seeing?

Post by Xanatos »

Helbereth wrote:I kinda see the characters that contribute little to the story as being the ones I don't like seeing.

Misha is grating, but she actually carries a lot of weight in the tale (and no that's not a fat joke, she's pleasantly curvy).

Yuuko has her moments of zen in the story, and she serves as great comic relief during tense moments - much like Kenji.

Nomiya, thankfully, is only seen in Rin's route, but he contributes heavily to the outcome of the story - indirectly and directly. Sae is similarly cast, but she does have her moments.

Jigoro and Hideaki actually help describe a lot of Shizune's thought process, indirectly, and while they're both jarring, they aren't acting out of character. Jigoro's berating of Hisao is easily fatherly concern masquerading as belligerent antagonism, and Hideaki's oddities set up some of the more telling moments where Shizune is concerned.

Akira flows in and out of a few of the stories, and does a lot to make Hisao think every time she appears. Her contributions actually end up being much more subtle than her candor indicates.

However, some characters feel like throw-aways. The antique shop keeper, Miki, Mrs Ibarazaki (in Rin's route), and, in most routes, Nurse (in all but Emi's route), end up contributing so little to the proceedings that they could have been left out with only minor changes to the dialogue.
Nurse contributes plenty to the proceedings, indirectly. The game's setting is a school for disabled people and such a place would logically employ a medic. Not having one would make the setting less detailed and thus less believable, which would damage the story's ability to immerse the player. It's the same reason Yuuko and Mutou are around, despite being unnecessary. Without a detailed setting, we've got nowhere for the proceedings to even begin. And if they threw away the antique guy, Hanako wouldn't get any presents. :(
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

For me it would be Yuuko and Hanako. Most of the scenes involving Yuuko seemed to be the exact same thing, Yuuko worries about some stupid shit and then Hisao will start talking to her over something unrelated and then she goes back to worrying. I warmed up to her near the end but for most of the VN I didn't like the scenes where she appeared. Hanako was fine in Lilly's and her own routes, but she was incredibly boring in all the other ones, and again all the scenes about her would revolve around her worrying over stupid shit or just being shy in general. I think I just despise characters that worry or panic about nothing.

Why do so many people hate Jigoro and Kenji? They were the two funniest characters in the VN.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Why do so many people hate Jigoro and Kenji? They were the two funniest characters in the VN.
Because Jigoro is an asshole and Kenji's paranoid rambling gets annoying when people just want to get on with their day. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Zezin

Post by Zezin »

I don't like Kenji much either. But he is really funny at times.
I really do not like Rin though. I get annoyed whenever she shows up. It was my least favorite arc.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Kenji and Jigoro. They both have real issues they need to work through.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Xanatos wrote:And if they threw away the antique guy, Hanako wouldn't get any presents. :(
That would only be true in her own arc. In Lilly's arc, Lilly gets her a present from another store. She never went with Hisao, Hidaeki did. By the time he left the antique shop with the doll, Lilly already had the teddy bear for her when he got back to her. (I think thats what it was, correct me if I am wrong)

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

'Hate' is a strong word. but I don't find Kenji as funny as people make him out to be.

Jigoro's quotes out-of-context are hilarious. Experiencing Jigoro in-game makes me more sad than upset.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
andivegito

Post by andivegito »

Nomiya. I mean he is such a douche character that it hurts just to look at him, If I could I'd reach right throw the screen and
rip is damned throat our or something. Worst character ever.
The eternal question that hunts, the one that strikes fear into the hearts of many. Why?
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

txalolrn9 wrote:I can't believe people would hate/hate seeing Kenji or Jigoro

HAND IN YOUR MAN CARDS

also, the only 100% agreed upon character should be NOMIYA

If being male somehow obligates me to like a deluded piece of shit that makes Glen Beck look sober or a megalomaniac in an ugly shirt with a fake tan, than give me a skirt, set me on fire and legally change my name to Hanako.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Pyramid Head wrote:
txalolrn9 wrote:I can't believe people would hate/hate seeing Kenji or Jigoro

HAND IN YOUR MAN CARDS

also, the only 100% agreed upon character should be NOMIYA

If being male somehow obligates me to like a deluded piece of shit that makes Glen Beck look sober or a megalomaniac in an ugly shirt with a fake tan, than give me a skirt, set me on fire and legally change my name to Hanako.
Don't forget to relinquish all social skills and cooking abilities.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

ShadeHaven wrote: Don't forget to relinquish all social skills and cooking abilities.

Okay the first one made sense, but why would i need to relinquish cooking skills? We only have Lilly's word for it that Hanako is a bad cook, and she's shown later on to know close to fuck all about her friend. Besides, i said you could set me on fire after i have a spontaneous gender change because apparently thinking Kenji should be beaten to death with a pipe wrench does something to my man cards, when did i agree to altering my knowledge or personality?
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Hanako's not a bad cook. She just likes to experiment and sometimes that doesn't go well, but painting her as a lethal chef is somewhat of a flanderisation.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

While my comment may have been a bit exaggerated, it can be inferred that she isn't the best cook around from some of the text. Furthermore, one doesn't need to know a person personality wise to know how well that person can cook, although I do see your point.

I think I'd rather just dye my hair blue and not talk. Much less painful, and I've already got the glasses for it.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

Honestly it was Kenji for me. Not that i really hated Kenji but when he would show up i was just like ,"Ugh, let me get back to the girls!". Also personality wise he is a worse version of a person i know in real life, and i do not get along with him already.....also this person is legally blind too which made the Kenji comparisons even more accurate.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Kenji and Jigoro, but I always kind of figured that you're supposed to hate seeing Kenji and Jigoro. Especially Jigoro.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.