What do you think about Hisao's personality?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Eraser35

Re: What do you think about Hisao's personality?

Post by Eraser35 »

its perfectly understandable why Hisao was so salty(pulling out the fighting game terms) you would feel like that too if you've spent the past 17 years of you're life normally only to have your normal ripped away from you when a girl that you like asks you out followed by finding out you've had that normal for that 17 years by sheer luck pretty much, finding your friends and classmates only visited you out of guilt and whatnot, spent 4 months in a hospital, spent your birthday there and now you have to take a bunch of pills each day, so basically your life plan was torn up right in front of you, the shreds set on fire and then you were kicked in the nuts
Magnenntae

Post by Magnenntae »

Machoman wrote:Which Hisao? I actually wanted to make a thread on this but since you already kind of did I'll just post it here.

Hisao's personality varies in the different arcs (usually mirroring the girl).

Lilly's Hisao is the same. He becomes a procrastinator, avoiding the future (like she avoids telling him about the summons to Scotland). He also doesn't even try to convince her to stay and doesn't take his health seriously (thus making their last sex scene end on an unsatisfying note). He is totally oblivious to the fact that always letting Lilly take the lead in bed was not enough for her.
The bit where Hisao doesn't even object to Lilly leaving made me so fucking mad at him. Do you think he did that out of a sort of respect for Lilly's decision? It's stupid either way.
As for the sex, doesn't it say somewhere in Lilly's route that she enjoys taking the lead?

I'm godawful at explaining personalities, so I can't say much about Hisao. But I can say that at least in Emi's and Lilly's route, he's very charismatic, and always seems to know what to say, I'm the exact opposite, so that gets him some respect from me. On the other hand, as pretty much everyone can agree, his decision making skills can be horrendous.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The reason Hisao didn't argue Lilly's decision (at least not until they met again in the hospital) was because he still looked up to Lilly as someone whose judgement was more sound than his own. He kinda felt it wasn't his place to question her decision, even though she wasn't at all confident in it..
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
EmiBro

Post by EmiBro »

I think the scene of how he reacted to Akira bringing wine is reason enough I wouldn't hang out with him. "But we're too young to drink...", oh shut the fuck up Hisao. It's just wine. Loosen the fuck up and stop being so damn analytical. Rin really said it best when she said "Hisao, you really need to stop thinking so much..."
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

EmiBro wrote:I think the scene of how he reacted to Akira bringing wine is reason enough I wouldn't hang out with him. "But we're too young to drink...", oh shut the fuck up Hisao. It's just wine. Loosen the fuck up and stop being so damn analytical. Rin really said it best when she said "Hisao, you really need to stop thinking so much..."

Yeah, underaged drinkers have a fantastic track record.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

EmiBro wrote:I think the scene of how he reacted to Akira bringing wine is reason enough I wouldn't hang out with him. "But we're too young to drink...", oh shut the fuck up Hisao. It's just wine. Loosen the fuck up and stop being so damn analytical. Rin really said it best when she said "Hisao, you really need to stop thinking so much..."
Um... he does loosen up and in case you didn't notice, he does drink right along with the rest of them.
Not Dead Yet
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oddball wrote:
Um... he does loosen up and in case you didn't notice, he does drink right along with the rest of them.
Is it wrong I think that showed weakness rather than strength? Collapsing under the weight of peer-pressure is hardly virtuous.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

He admitted himself he was curious about the drinks Akira got, so it's not like he got pressured into something he didn't want.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Nyzer

Post by Nyzer »

Didn't they all get drunk enough that they had to skip the next day of classes, in either route? Hisao was showing a little caution. That's not a bad thing. He was inexperienced at drinking, it was against the rules (and is generally not very legal), they were on a school campus, they had classes the next morning... and in the end they didn't drink responsibly enough.
Is it wrong I think that showed weakness rather than strength? Collapsing under the weight of peer-pressure is hardly virtuous.
Dunno if it showed either, really. While they weren't quite responsible enough, they didn't overdo it by any major extent. They got drunk, fell asleep, woke up hungover, and resolved not to pull that crap again. No one did anything they later regretted while under the influence. It was just some casual drinking, after all. Overdone or not.

If Hisao hadn't genuinely been at least curious, and the girls had bullied him into trying it, I'd say that it would be a bad thing, yeah. But it wasn't like that.
All you really need to know is that there's a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. I wish I could make something like that up; it shoots shurikens and lightning.
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

Loosen the fuck up and stop being so damn analytical.
I think that's another big part of Hisao's personality, in all of the routes - he's rather reserved. The fact that he had such a powerful reaction to Iwanako confessing to him makes it pretty obvious that he's at least a little shy even before The Incident, and that sort of personality would easily degrade into wangst and venomous self-loathing given what happened to him. A lot of his inner dialogue throughout the game indicates that he *is* being somewhat nit-picky and overly analytical, but I personally got the feeling that a lot of it was *intentional*. That is, that Hisao runs a constant stream of emotionally-neutral banter through his head in an attempt to stop himself from showing emotion - to try and force himself to think of things in a detatched, controlled manner rather than letting his feelings flow naturally. This is only a theory of mine :P but IMHO it fits with his reserved personality, and especially with his unwillingness to open up to people after his heart failure.

I'll agree that Hisao does need to be less emotionally stunted - and indeed, most of the game's paths involve him gradually learning to do so. I also think, however, that there are better ways to do so than booze. ;) In fact, it might have worked out better for him to *not* have drank with the others - they'd be all drunk and he'd still be sensible, and that would be the perfect opportunity to relax somewhat, knowing that his friends are A> too buzzed to care about how he behaves, and B> likely to not remember any of it anyway. 8)

I would like to point out that Hisao should not draw ire for his "But we're underage, it's illegal" comment. Believe it or not, there are folks out there who actually *respect* the law and don't get some sort of perverse joy out of breaking it. It's perfectly possible to have a good time without being an anarchist. :mrgreen:
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!