What do you think about Hisao's personality?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

rosemarie-chan

What do you think about Hisao's personality?

Post by rosemarie-chan »

Well the vn was more than epic for me. The writing, the music, the art but most of all the characters were incredibly amazing. However... at some points Hisao's behaviour just got on my nerves. For example. there was the "Take to the grave" moment, when I didn't know if I should laugh or get furious at the scene. :? And, of course, at Hanako's bad ending I just wanted to slap him. :x and maybe something worse than that. :twisted:

Anyway, I didn't see any comments about Hisao's behaviour throughout the game and I was just curious about your opinion on it. :)
Was there any moment you felt like killing him?
random

Re: What do you think about Hisao's personality?

Post by random »

The only tune un the game Hisao showed better judgement than me was when he did not take advantage of a drunken Hanako
random

Post by random »

Thank you Android keyboard auto-correct for the "tune un" instead of "time in" of the previous post
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

He's just like me.
A boring, confusing and awkward old sod.
So yeah I don't like him much.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

At least he's a better hero than Matoko from School Days. *
rosemarie-chan

Post by rosemarie-chan »

I haven't watched or played School Days but I know what a great person makoto is. Well, if he insisted more at the Hanako bad ending he would end up like Makoto in the anime ending. :lol:... Beware of the yanderes!
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Snow_Storm wrote:At least he's a better hero than Matoko from School Days. *
Really? I'd say Makoto is my favourite VN protagonist, even if he is a complete jackass at times.

On topic: I don't get why so many people hate Hisao. He was fine apart from his occasional stupid line. There are much worse protagonists out there, play Muv-Luv for an example of that.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hisao is a pretty normal nice teenage guy. He's a bit awkward at times sure and sometimes he does some stupid thing, but at the same time, he has his moments where he really shines.

I doubt most of the people here would have learned a new language to talk to Shizune, risked their life to catch up with Lilly (personally, I had already forgotten that he plane wasn't leaving until the later), or been able to develop a relationship with Hanako at all.
Not Dead Yet
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

rosemarie-chan wrote:I haven't watched or played School Days but I know what a great person makoto is. Well, if he insisted more at the Hanako bad ending he would end up like Makoto in the anime ending. :lol:... Beware of the yanderes!
And drunken Hanako would had gotten raped faster than a white girl in a Colorado hotel with Kobe Byrant.

Nobody in Particular wrote: Really? I'd say Makoto is my favourite VN protagonist, even if he is a complete jackass at times.

On topic: I don't get why so many people hate Hisao. He was fine apart from his occasional stupid line. There are much worse protagonists out there, play Muv-Luv for an example of that.
Yeah, and then he rapes a ten year old girl in Cross Days. Poor Kokoro...

People tend to forget that Hisao is teenager who never experience a lot of things such as relationships and as well you must remember, he was in a hospital for months. You be bitter and angry if you have to stop four months of your life because of a sickness. Let's be real here for a second, you were also a whinny awkward annoying teenager as well. I know I was.

Hisao is also a whinny teenager but so was Luke Skywalker.
rosemarie-chan

Post by rosemarie-chan »

What actually irritated me about him was the fact that he overdramatized every situation and sometimes cared only about himself. At Lilly's good ending he realized that Lilly needed also some support only at the very end, even though they were togother for a long time. And in Hanako's case he was simply curious at first, then wanted to protect her but didn't actually try to become her friend, which was what she really needed. I just felt that he made a big deal/drama out of every occasion, and in Rin's route he hurt her because of that very reason.

The only route I liked him a lot was at Emi's route at her good ending. He handled everything quite well with his words and actions in my opinion.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

rosemarie-chan wrote:What actually irritated me about him was the fact that he overdramatized every situation and sometimes cared only about himself. At Lilly's good ending he realized that Lilly needed also some support only at the very end, even though they were togother for a long time. And in Hanako's case he was simply curious at first, then wanted to protect her but didn't actually try to become her friend, which was what she really needed. I just felt that he made a big deal/drama out of every occasion, and in Rin's route he hurt her because of that very reason.
Well, it's obvious that you've never met a teenager in your entire life. Over dramatizing everything is kinda what they do.
Not Dead Yet
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

There's a bit of intentional vagueness written into Hisao that allows the different path writers to dictate his reactions. At no point did his reactions to the information provided ever seem forced or unusual - stupid in hindsight, perhaps. Since he exists as an extension of the player, and his choices are really theirs, if you end up not liking him it's actually your own fault.

Basically, if you screwed up, said the wrong thing and wound up at a bad ending; that's your own stupid fault and not Hisao's.

Personally, I found my way through to the good endings in all five routes before I retreaded them to seek out the bad ones, so my assessment of Hisao is based on how those events transpired the first time - which was generally positive. Thus, I see the bad endings as ways I could have judged the situation poorly, rather than something I feel was Hisao's fault.

Otherwise, he's just a normal teenage guy with a heart condition he feels embarrassed about, four months in the hospital he doesn't like to remember, and the memory of a girl whom sought out his affections and was met with deathly rejection - both because of the heart attack and Hisao's resulting ambivalence. Honestly, I could see myself reacting similarly to his back-story, so I never faulted him for becoming so reclusive and bookish when he realized his friends were there out of guilt rather than friendship.

Playing through the game itself, he's thoughtful and emotionally aware, intelligent, affectionate and protective - though that last aspect does get him in trouble. Sometimes hes sarcastic and blunt, and he starts out having no idea how to cope with the enormity of being surrounded by cripples (pardon my brevity), but he eventually finds his stride and makes friends regardless of the strained, complex and often draining situations in which he finds himself.
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

Which Hisao? I actually wanted to make a thread on this but since you already kind of did I'll just post it here.

Hisao's personality varies in the different arcs (usually mirroring the girl).

I like Shizune's Hisao best. He actually goes for it and asks her out (the girl pretty much falls into his lap in the other routes) and he shows some drive in learning sign language just to talk to one person. He kind of falters in act 3 and Shizune takes the lead again, but by act 4 he has really grown and she even says she can rely on him.

Hanako's Hisao is horrible, aping the worst parts of her personality, a cringeworthy lack of killer instinct, constantly treating her with kid gloves and never saying what he really thinks. If she didn't make something happen then he never would. He is a coward pretty much.

Lilly's Hisao is the same. He becomes a procrastinator, avoiding the future (like she avoids telling him about the summons to Scotland). He also doesn't even try to convince her to stay and doesn't take his health seriously (thus making their last sex scene end on an unsatisfying note). He is totally oblivious to the fact that always letting Lilly take the lead in bed was not enough for her.

Rin's Hisao becomes codependent in her mental problems, somewhat enabling her. And he creepily joins the art club just to follow her around when it is clear he has no real desire to make art himself.

Emi's Hisao starts weak, running only because of the force of her personality. Assuming good ending choices he does redeem himself somewhat, becoming self motivated on the health front and interested in her well being besides. He is kind of overbearing and nosy though. This is also the route where he takes his future in science most seriously.
yummines

Post by yummines »

while Hisao isnt certainly the most likeable character, i cant hate him. why? because he's actually realistic in a depiction of a broken high schooler struggling to come to terms with his new life.

think of it. he has a rare heart condition where if he "needs to take 2 pills daily to not die." his friends, and his almost girlfriend eventually stopped visiting him at the hospital so he became very distant. the game mentions nothing about relatives.

id be pretty pissed off and depressed at that point myself.

so while hes not certainly the best person in the world, i like him because hes not some sparkly eyed boy who wants to save the world through the power of friendship.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I'm with Oddball...Hisao's a rather average teen who never dated before and is tasked with sorting out his life after spending months in the hospital, coping with the knowledge that stupid little accidents like bumping into someone could end his life and dealing with the harsh reality that everyone in his life except his parents moved on without him. And it takes him a while to bounce back. He's not superman sent to rescue the girls, nor is he superman with a weak heart sent to rescue the girls. As mentioned, he's consistently considered a kind person by others, sometimes a little clueless and he occasionally screws up, but he always means well. And he really goes out of his way to reach out to his love interests, sometimes even beyond the call of duty.
What actually irritated me about him was the fact that he overdramatized every situation and sometimes cared only about himself. At Lilly's good ending he realized that Lilly needed also some support only at the very end, even though they were togother for a long time. And in Hanako's case he was simply curious at first, then wanted to protect her but didn't actually try to become her friend, which was what she really needed. I just felt that he made a big deal/drama out of every occasion, and in Rin's route he hurt her because of that very reason.
With Lilly, that wasn't just Hisao's fault. Lilly herself enabled and encouraged the relationship dynamic they had half the time and never actually approached Hisao (or anyone else) for support even though she encouraged him to do otherwise. And he did try to become Hanako's friend...in fact, he friend-zoned her. His motives may have been misguided, but he's always had what he thought were Hanako's best interests at heart. Being Hanako's friend isn't easy, mind you...even Lilly knew next to nothing about her before she started opening up.
Hisao's personality varies in the different arcs (usually mirroring the girl).
There was a thread like that in existence in the past, though it probably sunk a long time ago. It's not really like there's 5 (or 6 if you count Kenji's end) different Hisao's but different circumstances bring out different parts of his personality...just like many people act slightly different in different situations.
"needs to take 2 pills daily to not die."
I believe it was more like 17. Which would piss off just about every reasonable person.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.