Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrated?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yummines

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrat

Post by yummines »

Gandara wrote:She cuts out of class early, show up late and some days just doesn't show up at all.

picture
Quite possibly the best opening for any anime ever
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

yummines wrote:
Gandara wrote:She cuts out of class early, show up late and some days just doesn't show up at all.

picture
Quite possibly the best opening for any anime ever
I like the English opening dialogue:

"The guys that appear in this anime are delinquents. Please do not under any circumstances imitate anything they do. ... Don't do it, man, I'm serious. Bad idea."

Reppin' Cromartie High School... such an awesome anime. Which reminds me my DAMN FRIEND HAS HAD MY DVD'S FOR LIKE THREE YEARS, what the hell?!
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Gandara wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Eh, I guess that'd say 'delinquent' to most. It was a basic accommodation in school for me. :lol: Plus it's pretty obvious from her general personality that's she's hardly a delinquent.
I suppose she doesn't act "aloof" as is the common attitude with delinquents. Also, Mutou's attitude towards her doesn't express delinquency. If she was just being lazy and not showing up / showing up whenever she felt like it, Mutou would probably say something instead of just silently acknowledging her.

Unless, of course, Hanako had the teachers in a stranglehold of fear.

Edit: Yeah, my school had nothing like that. I would get my ass kicked by my teachers for showing up even a couple minutes late.
...Oh no. That's fanfic material there.

And I was generally permitted to leave whenever I couldn't deal with being around people. If I showed up late, it was assumed I needed the time away. This need got worse when misanthropy and cynicism settled in (both fairly rapidly since I was surrounded by horrible people and plain idiots) to the point that I just started outright abusing the arrangement. At that point, it slowly went from teachers accommodating the autistic guy to "I can't fucking tolerate you people anymore so I'm taking some fucking time to myself. No, I'm not gonna be back today and fuck you if that's a problem." ...Direct quote too.

Guess I just related with Hanako more. At the start, anyway. XD
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
dmhly

Post by dmhly »

Xanatos wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:Our first impression of Hanako is that she's a delinquent.
I never thought she was a delinquent...I really don't see that impression. :lol:
I remember the confusion I felt when Hisao would talk about the delinquent girl in his class. :P Never saw it in Hanako, either
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

dmhly wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
I never thought she was a delinquent...I really don't see that impression. :lol:
I remember the confusion I felt when Hisao would talk about the delinquent girl in his class. :P Never saw it in Hanako, either
I always thought Miki might fit the mold, actually...Or Suzu.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:

Neither did I, but Hisao mentioned it several times.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Magnenntae

Post by Magnenntae »

Personally, Hanako's route has been my least favorite so far, but the only other routes I've played through are Lilly's and Emi's, so I can't really say that it's my least favorite. ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Hanako's route didn't evoke any strong emotions for me, and I couldn't really get attached to her, but there are a lot of things that could be the cause of that, which I don't guess you guys would really care about.

There are a few things that make it difficult to gauge the quality of something like this, one of them being that while some people might not like the writing of a certain route or they might not like a certain character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the character or the writing is bad, it just means different people have different opinions, that's something I'm sure you guys already knew, though.

I don't think Hanako's route is overrated, I think that a lot of people genuinely enjoyed her route more than the others.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Not gonna lie, I kinda wanna see a fanfic of Hanako as a school delinquent/bully. Like, she has no other outlet of dealing with her pain and fears so the only way she can do it is hurt and harass other people to make them feel how she feels. Oh and she bullshit to her therapist about how she is feeling better but actually she hurting deep inside even more since she became a bully/delinquent of sorts.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Magnenntae wrote:Personally, Hanako's route has been my least favorite so far, but the only other routes I've played through are Lilly's and Emi's, so I can't really say that it's my least favorite. ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Hanako's route didn't evoke any strong emotions for me, and I couldn't really get attached to her, but there are a lot of things that could be the cause of that, which I don't guess you guys would really care about.

There are a few things that make it difficult to gauge the quality of something like this, one of them being that while some people might not like the writing of a certain route or they might not like a certain character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the character or the writing is bad, it just means different people have different opinions, that's something I'm sure you guys already knew, though.

I don't think Hanako's route is overrated, I think that a lot of people genuinely enjoyed her route more than the others.

An unbiased opinion? On the internet?! What the fuck is wrong with you?
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Pseudogenesis wrote:An unbiased opinion? On the internet?! What the fuck is wrong with you?
It's why I've started hanging out around here I think. These forums still have a fair chance of actually having one...from time to time at least. :)

And as to the delinquent impression of Hanako, again it's scary how much it mirrors what my own was in high school. Back then I racked up an amazing number of classes that I played hooky (wouldn't believe me if I told you the number), but in the end the teachers gave me a one-time-only offer that if I don't miss a single one until the end of the school year, they wouldn't expel me from the school.

And yet...the reason I had was similar to that of Hanako (not quite exactly the same, but close to it). Bottom line was - I didn't play hooky, because I wanted to be anti-authority, oppose the oppresive establishment of the school, grrr grrrr! I was playing hooky, because I genuinely did not feel like I could stand to be in the classroom. It didn't feel like a matter of choice to me, it felt like I just didn't do so well with taking in the curriculum with other people and preferred to catch up on it by copying notes from a good friend and doing my best to make my grades from him. Or, to put up a hypothetical most people will be able to understand - Would you still consinder a kid, who's constantly bullied at school and skipping class to avoid that bullying as a direct response, a delinquent? If you strictly went 'by the book' - yes. If you had the full context of why he skips school - hell no!

So the outside world percieved me as a delinquent - the other kids certainly couldn't believe the number of my unexcused hours when it was brought up! But...in my heart of hearts, I never felt like one - I never felt like I wanted to piss off the teachers (they were actually good to me for the most part), I never played hooky to gain any kind of 'cred' or somesuch...I just did it because I was under a lot of stress and I felt like the school rules, that forced me in contact with the rest of the class I was in, weren't helping me cope with it properly at all.

Was it the right thing of me to do it? Probably not - looking back on it there were better ways I could've handled that...but like I said, it never felt like a matter of choice until I got that ultimatum from my homeroom teacher. Then, in the end, I pulled through (another thing the old me and Hanako share - we're both stronger than we look). And in the most basic of terms, I feel it's *exactly* like that with Hanako. She doesn't come off as a delinquent or skip classes, because she feels she's 'exercising a choice to go against the school'. She comes off as a delinquent, because she has a helpless feeling that there is no other choice for her. Even though, in truth, there always is - it's just that that choice would involve something Hanako's afraid of: trusting people.
yummines

Post by yummines »

Snow_Storm wrote:Not gonna lie, I kinda wanna see a fanfic of Hanako as a school delinquent/bully. Like, she has no other outlet of dealing with her pain and fears so the only way she can do it is hurt and harass other people to make them feel how she feels. Oh and she bullshit to her therapist about how she is feeling better but actually she hurting deep inside even more since she became a bully/delinquent of sorts.
not sure how Hanako would be capable of bullying

then again, she's a girl. and girls can be really fucking evil so i dunno.
metalangel

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Kanako's arc is overrat

Post by metalangel »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Every character (except for Shizune) seems to have quite a large fanbase
There aren't as many of us, but we're here, working tirelessly and thanklessly behind the scenes so you have a good time (and fried food)
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

metalangel wrote:
Nobody in Particular wrote:Every character (except for Shizune) seems to have quite a large fanbase
There aren't as many of us, but we're here, working tirelessly and thanklessly behind the scenes so you have a good time (and fried food)
We Shizune fans are more dignified that the common rabble of glue huffers that wont shut up about their favorite girl.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Tomate wrote:
metalangel wrote:
We Shizune fans are more dignified that the common rabble of glue huffers that wont shut up about their favorite girl.

Hope that's pretended condescension though.

Edit: Never mind, I overlooked 'glue-huffers' the first time. Didn't think Jigoro would make an account here.

Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Tomate wrote:We Shizune fans are more dignified that the common rabble of glue huffers that wont shut up about their favorite girl.

Hope that's pretended condescension though.

Edit: Never mind, I overlooked 'glue-huffers' the first time. Didn't think Jigoro would make an account here.
Jigoro moved to Sao Paulo and began stalking the best friend of his niece over the web? Actually that might explain a few things, i think i shot Jigoro a few (Dozen) times in Max Payne 3. I actually liked that game but it was kind of annoying that i blew Jigoro's nuts off and emptied an uzi into his chest but he didn't stay down until i popped him in the head.
And yes, i did hit Jigoro's needle dick. I'm that awesome of a marksman.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.