Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrated?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DJnickbeta

Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrated?

Post by DJnickbeta »

So that I don't have to spoiler tag this entire post, I'm going to let everyone know that I'm going to heavily reference the Hanako and Rin arcs.

I've only been on this forum for a day or so, but all I can see are posts about Hanako, her arc, and how she is the most relatable and lovable character in the game. I just get tired of this droning on and on of a fact I can't honestly believe so many people see as true. Maybe I'm missing something here, but where did Hanako even become a remotely interesting character? Her entire arc is made up of instance after instance of her beginning to open up, only to have some major setback and cause the process to repeat itself. It's boring, unoriginal, and uninspired. Even the good ending, which, to me, is canon, seemed hastily put together and built around the need for a sex scene.

"Well, Hanako doesn't seem like the type to really have sex..."

"Screw it, let's put together a scene with a half thought-out explanation. Hanako's so cute no one will care."

Rin, on the other hand, has one of the best standalone arcs of any VN I've experienced. She shows intense personal struggle, a deep, complex personality, and (here's what Hanako's missing) viable character growth. Any growing that Hanako does during her arc feels forced, and unreal. It's as if she develops her character in an evening, whereas Rin goes through a long growth period that altogether feels much more satisfying.

I guess what all this comes down to is a single question: Why does everyone think Hanako's storyline is so great when the other four arcs shine so much brighter?
DJnickbeta

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Kanako's arc is overrat

Post by DJnickbeta »

And then I misspelled her name in the title... Guess she was that forgettable. But seriously, that was a total mistake that doesn't repeat itself within the body of the post, though I still apologize for it.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I ain't gonna lie, she is my favorite character in the game but GODDAMN she is fucking overrated as hell. I think it more so of her tragic backstory but I've read and seen better tragic back stories in games, movies, books, etc.

She's just a fictional character, everybody! Nothing more. Nothing less.

(Oh, and get ready to be harassed by Hanako fanboys and perhaps get blocked by one zealous fanboy and be put in his "Ignore List" sig because you don't like Hanako.)
yummines

Post by yummines »

i for one, agree with you. along with Lily's route, i hardly say they OMFG best girl every my waifu 3DPD no longer.

Rin is my favorite route, and character. mainly due to her character development as well as her personality when compared to the other characters.

i mean, i like Hanako. she's my second favorite character, mainly cause i can somewhat relate to her personality. however she is a bit overrated. im just guessing her character in particular hits home closest to most, not because of her back-story but her mannerisms and characteristics. the tile stepping game, man i play that sometimes.

TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM IN THEIR PANTS
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

"Am I the only one who feels that Kanako's arc is overrated?"

Yes. Hanako's, however, may be a different story. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

As a character, I think more people can identify with Hanako (not the burn scars and dead family part, but the isolated and bitter due to bullying part, the awkwardness dealing with people and the tile game) than with Rin. (isolation due to being on a different mental wavelength than most people)

I also thought Hanako's route deconstructing the character type Hanako seems to be was rather clever...one of the first times I've seen a character like her treated this way.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I don't think Hanako's arc is overrated. I think her's is just the most relatable. Take that lightly though, since I'm more like Rin than Hanako.
yummines wrote:TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM IN THEIR PANTS
How would you know that? 8)
yummines

Post by yummines »

ShadeHaven wrote:I don't think Hanako's arc is overrated. I think her's is just the most relatable. Take that lightly though, since I'm more like Rin than Hanako.
yummines wrote:TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM IN THEIR PANTS
How would you know that? 8)
because Hanako's route is the only one with a full frontal
Pseudogenesis

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrat

Post by Pseudogenesis »

More people empathize with Hanako. Her character might not be as interesting as some, but it hits close to home.

/thread? /thread.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Yes, you are the only one who thinks the Kanako arc is overrated. None of us know who or what the fuck a Kanako is so you're the only one with an opinion on it.

As for responding to your post, yes. You missed something. You see, there is a visual novel out there called Katawa Shoujo, sit your ass down and read it because you honestly give the impression that you haven't touched it but skimmed through a vague synopsis. Don't get me wrong, i loved the Rin arc, but Rin was for the most part a completely static character; Hanako on the other hand did go through significant changes but it had to be subtle because even miracles wouldn't completely alter the personality of someone so withdrawn and traumatized overnight. As for which ending is canon, there isn't a fucking canon. As for the sex scene, the goal was to show that while they did like each other, both were completely lost in to how to treat the other, Hanako didn't trust Hisao and assumed the worst about him but was too lonely to ever confront him and risk the friendship, Hisao...
...well i can sum up his problems with the old phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." While there probably could have been a less graphic way to establish just how off base the two were but how desperate they were to stay together than a sex scene on false pretenses, your allegations that it was just shoehorned in because they wanted there to be a sex scene are disingenuous. Could Pulp Fiction have established how important the watch is to Butch without the uncomfortable Christopher Walken monologue about hunks of metal up his ass? Probably, but whose complaining? Could The Dark Knight have established just how crazy the Joker was without him murdering someone with a pencil? Probably, but the movie was about Heath Ledger's Joker anyway so why not?
Or for an example of something that was shoehorned in, did the horror elements add anything to Dead Space? Of course not. Did you really need the section in Shadows of the Damned where you run across the ass of a gigantic stripper? Probably not, we pretty much got the idea that Fleming was fucked up when Johnson revealed there was a hierarchy based on which demons still had testicles. Did the anal scene with Emi in the shed add anything other than uncomfortable hilarity as people have flashbacks to prostate exams (or actual anal penetration if they're into that sort of thing)? Like i said, you've missed so much you give the impression that you didn't actually finish the arcs, try again and never be too afraid to pause and contemplate on something, sleep is overrated.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Pyramid Head wrote:Yes, you are the only one who thinks the Kanako arc is overrated. None of us know who or what the fuck a Kanako is so you're the only one with an opinion on it.

Right to the signature.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Well the route is patchwork and was written by someone who didn't want to write it, but on the other hand Hanako is probably the most popular girl.
Oh wait the latter half of that statement doesn't do anything to rectify the former.
ojamamask

Post by ojamamask »

Yea I think that Hanako's arc isn't as sad as people make it out as but it's still really good. Even though she is my favorite girl, I think that Lilly's arc was much better.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

ITT: Opinions.

Sadly, it's impossible to define which arc is "best" because it all will lead intrinsically to the player's opinions. Sure, you can try to rate arcs based on different factors - writing style, character development, "feels" induced, etc. - but ultimately the most popular characters and their corresponding arcs will be determined solely by one's bias.

Personally, I got the most "feels" out of Lilly's arc, but I was entertained by Shizune's arc the most due to really well-done humor. Emi's route was the most impacting to my real-world life, and Hanako's arc was, in my opinion, just okay. Rin's arc... I didn't really care for.

See? Unfortunately this topic won't do anything but run circles, with some saying Hanako is the best thing since sliced bread (or should I say, burnt toast WHOAH), and others like myself saying Hanako's arc wasn't anything incredibly special.

However, as some other forum members have already pointed out, Hanako's arc resonates quite strongly with many of KS's player base, as the majority of us nerdy Weeaboo types are not only socially awkward ourselves but get a hard-on for meeting a cute socially awkward girl.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

It all comes down to each person's personal experience. Half of the experience is the same for each of us - the actual content. Half of the experience comes from within, and is heavily defined by the person experiencing it - his prejudices, experiences, mode of thought, etc. Something can resonate with one person and leave another feeling nothing. And neither one is wrong for it.

Is Hanako's route very popular? Yes.

Is the content of the route sub-par? Debateable, but many people (devs included) argue that all of KS is sub-par.

Does it matter in the long run? Absofuckinglutely not. You can judge the objective portion of the work, and you can discuss the value of the effect it may have left on someone, but you have absolutely no right to tell someone what they should or should not appreciate. You're welcome to discuss the "why" of it, but you have to be willing to accept that some people will have no answer other than "because."

In my first run, Hanako and Lilly left me cold. I enjoyed the stories, but they simply didn't compare to the ride upon the Feels Express I got from the other arcs. A second run will be different, and I may appreciate them more. Or less. But the fact that they left me cold doesn't mean their routes are crap, overrated, of otherwise unworthy of merit.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server