Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrated?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Megumeru

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrat

Post by Megumeru »

Nobody in Particular wrote: Shizune's route is so overrated. :D
Overrated? Overrated you say...?

I'm sorry, it seems I misheard you since that remark...
Fell into deaf-ears. 8)

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Shizune's route is so overrated. :D
Okay, see, now you're just being a dick. :lol:

My definition of "overrated" is essentially "If you claim you don't like it and everyone and their grandma disagrees on cue, it's overrated."

Examples: Zelda. Titanic. The Beatles. Final Fantasy 7.

Incidentally, I'm not a big Zelda fan, Titanic was shit, The Beatles are painful to hear, and Final Fantasy 7 was above-average at best. Now, throughout the planet, millions of people are foaming at the fucking mouth in outrage.

But yeah. By my definition, no, Hanako's path isn't overrated. But Shizune's is underrated.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

Xanatos wrote:The Beatles are painful to hear
Someone's cruisin' for a bruisin'

(The Beatles are still overrated but only because it would be literally impossible for anything to actually be as good as people claim the Beatles are)
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Megumeru wrote:I'm sorry, it seems I misheard you since that remark...
Fell into deaf-ears. 8)

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Exactly. More and more my ignore list grows, to filter out so much of the nonsense. :)

Seems like there are two kinds of KS "fans" who visit these boards. Ones who like all of the girls, but have an order of preference ( I think these are the true fans who understand the game in its entirety). And then there are haters/trolls, who are threatened by one or more of the girls and thus lash out at those arcs and the fans of those girls in some kind of attempt to try to make themselves feel better. It is interesting to see the insecurities that KS exposes in some people, and how some people try to overcompensate for them once they are bared :lol:
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ravenlord wrote:
Megumeru wrote:I'm sorry, it seems I misheard you since that remark...
Fell into deaf-ears. 8)

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Exactly. More and more my ignore list grows, to filter out so much of the nonsense. :)

Seems like there are two kinds of KS "fans" who visit these boards. Ones who like all of the girls, but have an order of preference ( I think these are the true fans who understand the game in its entirety). And then there are haters/trolls, who are threatened by one or more of the girls and thus lash out at those arcs and the fans of those girls in some kind of attempt to try to make themselves feel better. It is interesting to see the insecurities that KS exposes in some people, and how some people try to overcompensate for them once they are bared :lol:
I'm only threatened by Misha...Her verbal tics with those laughing outbursts and all suggest major capacity for being a crazy bitch. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Xanatos wrote:Okay, see, now you're just being a dick. :lol:
Of course, I don't think anyone can say that while being serious. I think Shizune's route is underrated too, it's not anywhere near as bad as people like to make it out to be. Plus it had Jigoro in. He was fun.
ravenlord wrote: Seems like there are two kinds of KS "fans" who visit these boards. Ones who like all of the girls, but have an order of preference ( I think these are the true fans who understand the game in its entirety).
I think that is a little unfair. Just because someone doesn't like a particular character doesn't necessarily make them a hater or troll. All fictional stories will have some characters or parts that you won't like and I fail to see why KS would be no exception.

Also I don't think anyone has been lashing out over any characters or routes in this thread so far. If so they are taking the game a little too seriously.
Mint

Post by Mint »

I cannot name a single purpose for threads such as these.

I mean, I can try. I am trying as I type. And nothing.

Nope.

Not a single purpose.

Why do we have to bash on arcs? Don't like one - don't play it. And leave people to like what they want. Stop being so kindergarten.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Yeah, route discussion is for kindergarten

Let's go back to metathreads and shitposting
Mint

Post by Mint »

Who writes this guy's stuff?
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Xanatos wrote:But yeah. By my definition, no, Hanako's path isn't overrated. But Shizune's is underrated.

Aight, a more serious-time from me.
ravenlord wrote:Seems like there are two kinds of KS "fans" who visit these boards. Ones who like all of the girls, but have an order of preference (I think these are the true fans who understand the game in its entirety)
Agreeing to this point or not, you have to admit that they are legit discussion topics concerning the KS fanbase. I dislike Lilly, mind you, but that doesn't mean I hate her since that will fall in the conundrum of 'fanaticism'. I like all the girls in KS in particular order--preferably my preference.

Sometimes I group the KS fanbase depending on the girls and their characters. It's interesting, unique, and amusing...sometimes.

and yes, Hanako's route is not overrated. It falls right in the middle--not too much FEELS and not too much analyzing. Just perfect.
But still, I prefer something more challenging with lots of thinking and analyzing than having things served in a plate or spoon-fed with FEELS and HHNGGH through to the end of the route (I'm looking at a particular route and character), so I find Shizune's route as my favorite with Rin's following very closely behind.

And yes, Shizune's route is underrated.

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Nobody in Particular

Mint wrote:I cannot name a single purpose for threads such as these.

Nope.

Not a single purpose.

Why do we have to bash on arcs? Don't like one - don't play it. And leave people to like what they want. Stop being so kindergarten.
Sorry if I am mistaken here, but did you even read the thread? This thread isn't "Hurr durr Hanako's route is shit, why do all you guys have shit opinions?" but instead "I thought the other four routes were better, why is Hanako's route so popular?" which is a perfectly valid question. It's already been answered, most people seem to relate to that route.

Not everyone can be expected to like all of characters and arcs, as long as it doesn't descend into shitposting there really is nothing wrong with this topic..
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Sorry if I am mistaken here, but did you even read the thread? This thread isn't "Hurr durr Hanako's route is shit, why do all you guys have shit opinions?" but instead "I thought the other four routes were better, why is Hanako's route so popular?" which is a perfectly valid question. It's already been answered, most people seem to relate to that route.
I think it's a given that Hanako fans tend to be the more sensitive type?

Maybe...?

SHII-HAEL!
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Mint wrote:I cannot name a single purpose for threads such as these.

Nope.

Not a single purpose.

Not everyone can be expected to like all of characters and arcs, as long as it doesn't descend into shitposting there really is nothing wrong with this topic..
Ironically, it is obvious that Mint DID read this thread, and that you did not. Go back and read the first post that started this thread.

My last post stands. OP is lashing out in anger because he doesn't understand the arc, and doesn't understand those who do like the arc. And he doesn't care to understand it -- he is simply looking for one or two others that agree with him so that he can somehow validate his own opinion. It is either trolling, or some sort of cry for help through negative attention. Those kinds of posts are usually better suited for /b/ or /vg/, but again ironically even THEY have stepped up the civility when it comes to KS. A post like OP's over there would be dealt with far more harshly than it is here.

There are many threads here with polite and civil discussion about the flaws and weaknesses of the various characters and their arcs. This thread is not one of them. Maybe OP should try again in a new thread, with a slightly different approcah and tone. He may find it better received.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Nobody in Particular

ravenlord wrote:Ironically, it is obvious that Mint DID read this thread, and that you did not. Go back and read the first post that started this thread.
Well believe it or not I did in fact read the OP. I will admit it was back when the topic was originally created, but after rereading I still think I am right. He may have came across as too aggressive, but his question is valid regardless.
ravenlord wrote:My last post stands. OP is lashing out in anger because he doesn't understand the arc, and doesn't understand those who do like the arc. And he doesn't care to understand it -- he is simply looking for one or two others that agree with him so that he can somehow validate his own opinion. It is either trolling, or some sort of cry for help through negative attention. Those kinds of posts are usually better suited for /b/ or /vg/, but again ironically even THEY have stepped up the civility when it comes to KS. A post like OP's over there would be dealt with far more harshly than it is here.
The impression I got from Mint's posts is that the OP did nothing but insult Hanako and her route, which he didn't. He merely stated his opinion, albeit unnecessarily harsh, which was used as the reasoning behind his question. I can sympathise with him, before reading this thread I had absolutely no idea why Hanako's route (or to be more precise, her as a character) was so popular and I partially agree with him on the forced sex scene point. If you think that something is done badly then you aren't going to highlight the good points of it. He is criticising the route because he doesn't understand it, that's his opinion and he is perfectly entitled to have one.

Also you are wrong on the 4chan part. The general in /vg/ rarely even discusses the game anymore and frequently has anti-[heroine of choice] trolls. I don't go to /b/ because that place is full of idiots or teens trying to be dark and edgy but I can presume the KS discussion there would be full of trolls. If you think this thread is bad then stay the hell away from 4chan.

That part about wanting to find people to agree with him is total hokum in my opinion.
ravenlord wrote:There are many threads here with polite and civil discussion about the flaws and weaknesses of the various characters and their arcs. This thread is not one of them. Maybe OP should try again in a new thread, with a slightly different approcah and tone. He may find it better received.
I'll agree with you on this, the OP should have used a less aggressive tone.
Megumeru wrote:I think it's a given that Hanako fans tend to be the more sensitive type?
You're probably right. I suppose those type of people are the ones that can enjoy the route to its fullest.
Beanwell

Post by Beanwell »

It seems I am a rare exception. It's hard for me to say "_____ is the best" or "I dislike ______".

I'm a HanaRinzunEmillybro.
If you can come up with a better word, please do so.