Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrated?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Melkboy

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrat

Post by Melkboy »

Last edited by Melkboy on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trivun

Post by Trivun »

I came into this thread meaning to moan, since Hanako is my favourite character. Then I decided to actually read the OP, like a sensible person, and realised the OP makes some decent points. Personally, I found Hanako's arc interesting precisely because I can relate to the character, rather than anything else. That isn't to say that I don't find her interesting - I do, and can go into detail about that, but others have already done so better than I could. For my part, I feel very much how she feels. I'm not disabled in any way, but I have always had the same feeling of being alone. I was picked on (verbally, never physically) at school, and I too retreated into myself, with only a few close friends. I learned over time to open up more and made new friends, but it took me a long time, and even now I still have a tendency to care too much about what other people think, and that holds me back somewhat. I'm afraid to be too assertive for fear of what others will think and for fear of driving them away.

Whenever I play through Hanako's arc, I see a lot of myself in her, and a lot of her in myself. It's no coincidence that my own fanfiction retelling the game from each girl's POV starts with Hanako's arc. I can relate to her so much, and for that reason her arc is my favourite.

With regards to Rin, I do see your point, OP, and I can certainly agree with you. However, for me the interest was diminished a little by the fact that it was arguably the most complex arc to follow. I played through several times just to get the different conversation options, let alone the different endings. It put me off a little bit, though I still enjoyed the arc for the most part. Quite simply, it was a great arc for a great character, but the difficulty of it to follow was a major down-point that I think would have driven away more than a few people. Hence its reputation among fans and players of the game.

Xbox Live: Trivun117
Steam: Trivun
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Hanako? Overrated?

Well, yeah, I guess.

But you know who's arc and character is overrated? It's Li--*cough* that blonde girl with pale blue eyes.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Everyone's arc is overrated to someone.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Hanako's route is called "Can you face your fears?". If you are not ready for that, then you won't be ready for her route either. And the harder that you reject her route, the farther you are to getting there.

Someone summed up the symbolism and message of her arc best like this:
"Hanako is trust and support that most of us rejected for so long. It's about trusting and being trusted, learning who to open up to, and not judging them when they open in return. Being able to accept someone for who THEY really are. And not who you or anyone else thinks they are. You shouldn't have to be scared of social rejection, you need to overcome it."

A lot of people get that, and I think that is mirrored in the popularity and power of Hanako's arc. There are a few who don't, and that's too bad, but hopefully someday they will get there :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

The only thing that I feel is overrated after experiencing KS is life. Maybe that's my fault.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

ravenlord wrote:Hanako's route is called "Can you face your fears?". If you are not ready for that, then you won't be ready for her route either. And the harder that you reject her route, the farther you are to getting there.

Someone summed up the symbolism and message of her arc best like this:
"Hanako is trust and support that most of us rejected for so long. It's about trusting and being trusted, learning who to open up to, and not judging them when they open in return. Being able to accept someone for who THEY really are. And not who you or anyone else thinks they are. You shouldn't have to be scared of social rejection, you need to overcome it."

A lot of people get that, and I think that is mirrored in the popularity and power of Hanako's arc. There are a few who don't, and that's too bad, but hopefully someday they will get there :)

Or they've never experienced shunning support and trust in the first place, and thus can't relate. You've gotta consider that as well.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Or they've never experienced shunning support and trust in the first place, and thus can't relate. You've gotta consider that as well.
I did actually consider that, but then assumed that clostured monks in a monestary either would not have internet access, or if they did they would probably not be posting in a KS forum. :lol:
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ShadeHaven wrote:The only thing that I feel is overrated after experiencing KS is life. Maybe that's my fault.
Join the club.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Melkboy wrote:Yes!Finally!So sick of all these OMG HANAKO IS SO CUTE UGUU
You and me both.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Yes, now we can start saying "OMG RIN IS SO CUTE UGUU"

Lay off the criticism of people's favourites, will you? It's probably the worst thing about this fandom. Everybody bitching about which girl is the best, when it's clear that there isn't one.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

Pseudogenesis wrote:

I don't think even Rin's fans think she is so cute uguu. She's more... relatable is the word I'd almost want to use, even though in a lot of ways she's difficult to relate to. I don't know what I'm trying to say here but it makes sense in my head. Maybe I mean sympathetic, actually. Even if you don't understand her worldview, you can sympathize with her frustration with not being able to communicate with other people and how that makes it hard to form relationships based on very solid foundation.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

sporkaganza wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:

I don't think even Rin's fans think she is so cute uguu. She's more... relatable is the word I'd almost want to use, even though in a lot of ways she's difficult to relate to. I don't know what I'm trying to say here but it makes sense in my head. Maybe I mean sympathetic, actually. Even if you don't understand her worldview, you can sympathize with her frustration with not being able to communicate with other people and how that makes it hard to form relationships based on very solid foundation.
I think Rin is cute...Like Emi's panties in the morning.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:

Lay off the criticism of people's favourites, will you? It's probably the worst thing about this fandom. Everybody bitching about which girl is the best, when it's clear that there isn't one.
To be fair, that crap happens in every fandom.

The best girl is any and all girls who worked as a part of 4LS to bring the rest of these girls to life.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Pseudogenesis wrote: Yes, now we can start saying "OMG RIN IS SO CUTE UGUU"

He's probably criticising the rabid fanboys that seem to jump all over Hanako like she is the best thing ever, not the character herself. I can agree with him, those types of fans can be irritating in every community, and while I know not every Hanako fan is like that she does seem to have more than say Lilly or Rin. It constantly baffles me how Hanako's route was so popular but then again apparently that all comes down to relatability.

Also as Sporkaganza pointed out Rin can hardly be considered cute. This is coming from a Rin fanboy, and I'm sure other Rin fans think the same way.
Enemy | wrote:Everyone's arc is overrated to someone.
Shizune's route is so overrated. :D