So fellow KS-forums users, how does KS motivate you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pseudogenesis

Re: So fellow KS-forums users, how does KS motivate you?

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:
Helbereth wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Common mistake. Doing it through dialogue is often easier but quality will be lower...Like a convenience meal.
Yeah, reading up on it, I discovered it's a common mistake among younger writers.

It can be difficult to make a paragraph that flows right, though, without having a decent vocabulary.

I think those two conditions likely go hand-in-hand.
Ugh, vocabulary...I'm cursed with having a very extensive vocabulary, while also having autism that prevents me communicating right half the time anyway. It's frustrating as hell. :lol:

Another mistake among writers is being Stephanie Meyer or a fan of Stephanie Meyer. That's neither here nor there though.

I often like to think that I've got quite a large vocabulary as well, but then I get into social situations, my personality drains, and I'm left thinking bitterly how poorly I'm able to express myself around people I'm not comfortable with.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I often like to think that I've got quite a large vocabulary as well, but then I get into social situations, my personality drains, and I'm left thinking bitterly how poorly I'm able to express myself around people I'm not comfortable with.
I just randomly find myself incapable of communicating what should be simple things. My thoughts are very easily muddled, both by my condition and the fact that, being an introvert, I just think too much anyway.

As for me in social situations...Hanako without Lilly's company.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:I often like to think that I've got quite a large vocabulary as well, but then I get into social situations, my personality drains, and I'm left thinking bitterly how poorly I'm able to express myself around people I'm not comfortable with.
I just randomly find myself incapable of communicating what should be simple things. My thoughts are very easily muddled, both by my condition and the fact that, being an introvert, I just think too much anyway.

Sounds extremely familiar. Speaking of which, while playing the game did you find yourself thinking "God, I wish I had time to think this much in between sentences in real conversations"? :p
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Weird Badger

Post by Weird Badger »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Helbereth wrote:
Ugh, vocabulary...I'm cursed with having a very extensive vocabulary, while also having autism that prevents me communicating right half the time anyway. It's frustrating as hell. :lol:

Another mistake among writers is being Stephanie Meyer or a fan of Stephanie Meyer. That's neither here nor there though.

I often like to think that I've got quite a large vocabulary as well, but then I get into social situations, my personality drains, and I'm left thinking bitterly how poorly I'm able to express myself around people I'm not comfortable with.
Me too è_é//
Well probably a lot of the people on this forum have to deal with this problem.
Problem is that when my vocabulary stay with me sometimes i am boooring and i talk about serious things.

With girls i'm just awkward with everything (hands, face, etc..)

Anyway i'm not depressed: i am improving. But I am not improving in social skills thanks to KS.
KS helped me to stop being a hermit and start to hung out with people. And also stop being lazy and start doing sports. My father died at 40 for an unexpected heart problem, no wonder why KS hit me very hard.
Quantum Toast

Post by Quantum Toast »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Sounds extremely familiar. Speaking of which, while playing the game did you find yourself thinking "God, I wish I had time to think this much in between sentences in real conversations"? :p
That's me all the time. By the time I've thought of something to say, the conversation's long moved on.

Heck, it took me about three minutes just to type all this.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

I don't typically have real conversations. The little talking I engage in is either aloud to myself or not requiring much thought anyway.

My brain loves to kick into high gear during the night though, to the point that I've had to go nocturnal and sleep during the day to thwart insomnia.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oddly, I'm an introvert and I'm pretty terrible at expressing myself socially, but I always get the upper hand in a debate.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Helbereth wrote:Oddly, I'm an introvert and I'm pretty terrible at expressing myself socially, but I always get the upper hand in a debate.

What happens in a debate with me:

>Social anxiety replaced by passionate indignation (or maybe indignant passion)
>I start ranting with little to no regard for how much I stutter, and spew out points before they have a chance to react
>Win by default!

It's cool, arguing with people is one of the only situations in which I feel like I can express myself freely. Maybe that's why I like to debate so much. :S

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Helbereth wrote:Oddly, I'm an introvert and I'm pretty terrible at expressing myself socially, but I always get the upper hand in a debate.
I never get the upper hand in debate, mostly because I debate with religious zealots and they don't listen.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Religious zealots are by far the worst.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Religious zealots are by far the worst.
Keep in mind, I'm in a shit redneck town in Kentucky...We get them at our DOOR. :lol: And people wonder why I stay inside!
Keneshiro

Post by Keneshiro »

I guess my questions WERE rather vague. I was thinking of opening up the spectrum of answers, I guess. Anyway, I always felt that KS was the jump start/catalyst/spark that started the change. Having it constantly drive you is rather unrealistic, though mind you, with my hyper crazy imagination, having 'mascots' cheering me on isn't exactly a difficult feat, to be honest.
However, my drive isn't to better myself for the sake of myself. I've given up on that idea, replacing it with laziness. I push myself in the vague hope that if I were to meet my version of Hanako, I can sweep her off her feet etc etc. If anyone has read my older posts, they'd realise that inside this brain of mine lives a cynical arse as well as a hopeless romantic. Fun times in my brain.
Image <<< The waifu
i write crazy stories: A Visit to the Hospital
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Keneshiro wrote:I guess my questions WERE rather vague. I was thinking of opening up the spectrum of answers, I guess. Anyway, I always felt that KS was the jump start/catalyst/spark that started the change. Having it constantly drive you is rather unrealistic, though mind you, with my hyper crazy imagination, having 'mascots' cheering me on isn't exactly a difficult feat, to be honest.
However, my drive isn't to better myself for the sake of myself. I've given up on that idea, replacing it with laziness. I push myself in the vague hope that if I were to meet my version of Hanako, I can sweep her off her feet etc etc. If anyone has read my older posts, they'd realise that inside this brain of mine lives a cynical arse as well as a hopeless romantic. Fun times in my brain.
Join the club. My motivation's rather similar.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:
Keep in mind, I'm in a shit redneck town in Kentucky...We get them at our DOOR. :lol: And people wonder why I stay inside!

It's so unusual to be born into a place whose very theme you hate. Logic would suggest that one's personality would develop around the location and its motifs, but that clearly isn't the case. I'm increasingly coming to realize that I hate California. I've lived here all my life but the culture is so fucking insipid and shallow. Maybe that's the way it is everywhere, and California is simply the standard. All I know is that they air "commercials" showcasing California as being the hub of celebrity. Pathetic.

Anybody know of a region in which people tend to think more (For lack of a not hideously condescending alternative) deeply? A place where I could freely discuss "Heavy" topics like philosophy, music, science and the like as part of everyday conversation would be my idea of heaven. Why hasn't society have evolved to the point where inane smalltalk is completely unnecessary? Why do people give a single damn how your job's going or what Jessica said about Susan the other day when you could talk about things like music, and art?
Keneshiro wrote: If anyone has read my older posts, they'd realise that inside this brain of mine lives a cynical arse as well as a hopeless romantic.

I honestly have trouble deciding which composes the larger part of my personality sometimes.
Last edited by Pseudogenesis on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

It's so unusual to be born into a place whose very theme you hate. Logic would suggest that one's personality would develop around the location and its motifs, but that clearly isn't the case. I'm increasingly coming to realize that I hate California. I've lived here all my life but the culture is so fucking insipid and shallow. Maybe that's the way it is everywhere, and California is simply the standard. All I know is that they air "commercials" showcasing California as being the hub of celebrity. Pathetic.

Anybody know of a region in which people tend to think more (For lack of a not hideously condescending alternative) deeply? A place where I could freely discuss "Heavy" topics like philosophy, music, science and the like as part of everyday conversation would be my idea of heaven. Why hasn't society have evolved to the point where inane smalltalk is completely unnecessary?
I've seen those commercials...And that's generally how it'll be everywhere. Vapid, shallow crap. The majority are stupid. You have to search for the smart ones. And I've only met most of those online so I couldn't pinpoint any one region.

I can say with certainty that the cynic far outgrew the romantic in me years ago. If it were up to me, there'd be a test required to live past 15 and any who failed could be legally shot dead. God knows natural selection's not doing the job anymore.