What is Love?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tununias

Re: What is Love?

Post by Tununias »

Pyramid Head wrote:Life's greatest lie. Love is nothing more than a strong emotional attachment but people so often seem to think love carries some magical properties that they get an unrealistic view of life and enter a relationship based on hormone painted first impressions without really taking the time to get to know their partner. And most importantly, there is no such thing as "True Love" and love is definitely not a permanent sentiment, the only reason that only %50 of marriages fail is because humans don't always live long enough to learn to hate their spouse.
Don't i just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
You sound like Yusa Yuuichi from the visual novel Wanko to Kurasou.
The protagonist of the story. He appears as friendly and helpful, but detaches himself from others, cynically denying the existence of true love.
His cold personality is a result of his upbringing, which took place in a brothel. Over many years, he came to associate love with material gain and sexual gratification, and thus does not hold any stock in it.
Yuuichi lives alone in an apartment, attends a nearby college and earns money by teaching a junior cram-school.

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Brogurt wrote:
Enemy | wrote:Oxytocin and stuff in your brain.
Nailed it. Everyone go home, Elvis has left the building.
Oxytocin and stuff in your brain that, when the reaction of such is acknowledged by your thinking self, results in behavior that strengthens and enriches all of the individuals involved.

Fixed.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Nullc0de

Post by Nullc0de »

Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more

Just impossible not to quote this song.

Pathing: Lily / Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Character: Lily / Hanako > Shizune > Emi > Rin
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Love it to will the good of the subject. You love yourself - it is your innermost desire to seek fulfillment, to have a sense of completeness, to be happy.

To love another is to have that same sense of desire of the good for another. You want them to be fulfilled, complete, happy.

Insofar as you have an imperfect love, you can "love" someone for the wrong reasons. You want them to be fulfilled, complete, happy (or for them to think they are), so you can get into their pants/inheritance/ whatever.

When you love someone, you're happy because they're happy, you're sad because they're sad. When you love a woman, you're happy that she's found a man that makes her happy. If she loves you, then she's happy that you've found a woman that makes you happy. In a platonic relationship, her man is not you, and your woman is not her. In a romantic relationship, they are one and the same.

A parent loves their child. They are happy when the child is happy, sad when the child is sad.

By extension, the lover is happy when they see something that will make the beloved happy, and sad when they see something that will make the beloved sad, whether or not the beloved is aware of this ultimate effect.

And then we get to the final component:

To know is to love is to serve. You cannot love that which you don't know. You cannot love that which you don't serve. If you love someone, you know what makes them happy, and will do what you can to make them happy. If you know someone, you cannot help to see the good within them, and do what you can for the good of someone as good as them. If you serve someone, you must know them, to know what will make them happy, and you must love them, to truly desire their good.

Obviously, we use imperfect terms for "to know," "to love," and "to serve" in regular conversation.

I love my spouse. I love my parents. I love my siblings. I love everyone on this forum, and beyond. I have moments of weakness, and it is much easier to love people with a close connection in a truer sense, but I try to love, insofar as I am capable, everyone that I meet. I wish the good for my spouse on an intimate and personal level, as we share so much of ourselves, and give much of ourselves for the sake of the other. I wish the good for my parents, as they have given so much for me, out of filial duty, but also because of my great familiarity with them - I am aware, in a vague sense, of their hopes and dreams - in a sense, I AM their hopes and dreams. I wish the good for my siblings on a close level, as blood is thicker than water, but I cannot know them or serve them at the same level as my spouse. I wish the good of the people on this forum, as there is a bond of common kinship - we have been touched by KS, and we have taken it upon ourselves to share ourselves with complete strangers, to hold each other accountable, even though we profit nothing from it. I want the Emibros to get in shape, because they've decided it's important to them, and they will be better for it. I want the Hanabros to give the world a second chance, because they'll never find love as long as they refuse to trust others. I want the Shizunebros, Rinbros, and Lilybros to do whatever they do, because it will make them better for it. Heck, even the Kenjibros, Akirabros, and Jigorobros have something that touched them enough for them to seek change within themselves, and I am all for that.

It is highly unlikely that I will profit from some random schmuck on the internet making his life better, but it makes me happy to know that I can do something to help him. And, in the end, each candle may be insignificant on its own, but each candle will make the world a little brighter and a little warmer.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Enemy | wrote:Oxytocin and stuff in your brain.

This. It's an evolved emotion designed to protect one's genes.

A realist interpretation doesn't take anything away from the impact. It's what it is, and it's pretty awesome.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Thespian

Post by Thespian »

Nullc0de wrote:Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more

As long as we're quoting, I've heard it's all you need...
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Thespian wrote:
Don't hurt me
No more

I was told that is the thing that will tear people apart.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Tomate wrote:
Thespian wrote:
Don't hurt me
No more

I was told that is the thing that will tear people apart.
Again?
TheSongofRaven

Post by TheSongofRaven »

Love is affection
Love is madness
Love is weapon
Love is perception
Love is manipulation
Love is bond
Love is feud
Love is greed
Love is shareable
Love is joy
Love is sorrow

But, for me, Love is......Love.
Never forget that even love can change everything on the world.
No matter how you see about it. Love always be love.

(Dedicated to my best friend who always share his story to me)
Well, kinda like a poetry, but this is about my friend's look about love. And as his friend, i respect him with make this kinda like poet.
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Love is a warm puppy.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Xanatos wrote:Love is a warm puppy.
then lust is a....hot dog?

Ok i'm leaving.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Tomate wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Love is a warm puppy.
then lust is a....hot dog?

Ok i'm leaving.
Yes. Incidentally, you are now thinking of Snoopy getting a blowjob from Charlie Brown. Enjoy!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Tununias

Post by Tununias »

Love: The only think keeping me from not giving a crap about the world and everyone and everything on it.

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
Revvy

Post by Revvy »

I've only ever been truly in love with one girl who ended up hurting me severely. I promised myself that I wouldn't get close enough to someone to fall in love again.

Love is non-existant to me.
So...Revvy enjoys lemon lube then? -Xanatos
(Yes I Do.)
Currently Reading: Scissorlips' Suzu Route.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Revvy wrote:I've only ever been truly in love with one girl who ended up hurting me severely. I promised myself that I wouldn't get close enough to someone to fall in love again.

Love is non-existant to me.
Man, that was blatantly clichéd.

You know the drills, the Dark brooding guy, with hidden depths that was once betrayed and now loves no one. Any day now some chick is going to appear and try to fix you with the "magic of love".