JewWario reviews KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Gilrond

JewWario reviews KS

Post by Gilrond »

ravenlord

Re: JewWario reviews KS

Post by ravenlord »

yup -- that was a really insightful and balanced review. I might register at his site just to leave a comment and give it 5 stars.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Huh...You know, I've never watched JewWario before...But he seems to give a good insight into the stuff he reviews, if this is any indication.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Haven't finished it because my connection keeps crashing, and while it is nice to see a site other than The Escapist or a henta site acknowledge the VNs existence, i just want to punch that fucking moron's head in every time he refers to it as a "Dating sim."
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:Haven't finished it because my connection keeps crashing, and while it is nice to see a site other than The Escapist or a henta site acknowledge the VNs existence, i just want to punch that fucking moron's head in every time he refers to it as a "Dating sim."
There's a certain stupidity inherent in addressing a complete stranger as a "fucking moron" just for, reasonably enough, calling a game in which the player is a male surrounded by various females with the ultimate goal of a romantic end with one of them (hey, sounds like dating) a dating sim. It's seriously not that big a deal, man.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Very nice review. We have conflicting opinions about the sex scenes but other than that, very nice indeed.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Neil Gaiman once told a story about how he told a stranger he wrote comic books, and when the stranger asked what titles, he mentioned Sandman.

"Dude, you don't write comic books. You writegraphic novels."

He said he felt like a prostitute who had just been told she was not a whore, but a lady of the evening.

In short: "dating sim," "visual novel," or whatever you wanna call it.
gragon

Post by gragon »

its a nice review he has a point. you cant juge a book by its cover. the game may sound wierd for the jappaneese but i think thats not a reason not to play or read it :D
''Bear with the pain,but dont admit to it either'' ''climb the tree of problems and eat the apple of succes''
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Xanatos wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:Haven't finished it because my connection keeps crashing, and while it is nice to see a site other than The Escapist or a henta site acknowledge the VNs existence, i just want to punch that fucking moron's head in every time he refers to it as a "Dating sim."
There's a certain stupidity inherent in addressing a complete stranger as a "fucking moron" just for, reasonably enough, calling a game in which the player is a male surrounded by various females with the ultimate goal of a romantic end with one of them (hey, sounds like dating) a dating sim. It's seriously not that big a deal, man.

Maybe you're right.
Or rather you would be right save for the tiny detail this isn't a video game, what he's doing is something akin to me stating The Last Wish is the prequel installment to CD Projekt's game series. It's getting a very simple fact of what exactly the visual novel is not just wrong but wrong constantly.
random

Post by random »

Pyramid Head wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Maybe you're right.
Or rather you would be right save for the tiny detail this isn't a video game, what he's doing is something akin to me stating The Last Wish is the prequel installment to CD Projekt's game series. It's getting a very simple fact of what exactly the visual novel is not just wrong but wrong constantly.

Oh shut up, your jimmies are rustled over minute semantics

Like an angry comic book nerd screaming about how Watchmen isn't a comic book but a graphic novel or some shit
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

random wrote:Oh shut up, your jimmies are rustled over minute semantics

Like an angry comic book nerd screaming about how Watchmen isn't a comic book but a graphic novel or some shit

When two items have two different definitions and significant differences it's not a matter of semantics when you're correcting someone for calling something what it isn't. Katawa Shoujo has nothing that really counts as interactivity, even when selecting branching paths ultimately you have no control over proceedings, it's all Hisao and there is no player character. It's not a video game because it lacks the core mechanic of what makes a video game a video game, that doesn't make it bad, you should simply address something for what it is. You wouldn't call Assassin's Creed a comic or me a well-adjusted young man, and you shouldn't call Katawa Shoujo a video game or dating sim because it lacks the key defining feature of video games.
random

Post by random »

It's like calling Star Wars sci-fi, when it's actually more fantasy

but who cares?
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

random wrote:It's like calling Star Wars sci-fi, when it's actually more fantasy

but who cares?
Uh-huh. I establish that i do have reason for arguing and you just make a variation of another statement you made. I've had arguments with my cat that were more competent than what you're giving me. I know this is the internet but for fucks sake, use your head and actually counter arguments instead of digging up and beating a horse i already shot and buried.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

Basically it is a to-may-to or to-mah-to kind of thing.

Either way, don't let it detract from the review itself. You don't want to miss the forest for the trees.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

ravenlord wrote:In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

Basically it is a to-may-to or to-mah-to kind of thing.

Either way, don't let it detract from the review itself. You don't want to miss the forest for the trees.
Fine then. The forest got most of the important details though i feel didn't cover much more than i did in a text review i wrote shortly after the release and i'd like to think people with enough money to get cameras and non-linear editors can do a better job than something i threw together in three hours, four hours if you count the time i spent beating my head against for the grammatical issues i spotted after i posted it.