Why are we still here

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tununias

Re: Why are we still here

Post by Tununias »

I'm still here because... I wanna be.

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Garry's mod isn't a competitive game, really. It's a game where people play around, have fun, and just make what they want to make, in theory.

Except for the douches everywhere, including on its forums. That's an example of a game that's got too popular for its own good. In threads like HBHC, full of sympathy, naivety and sometimes-heartwrenching tales, you get people trolling, flaming, and generally being arseholes. Game-related trash talk, fine. But the people I'm thinking of don't need the competitive context for it.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

Well i am still here because i like the community. Pretty much everyone i see here is civil and is very accepting of other people, especially if you look at Hanako's Broken Hearts topic, great topic anyway. Its a complete 180 from other boards like Mass Effect 3 on gamefaqs. IMO this community is one of the best i have been a part of, so thats why i keep coming back.
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Because of the feels
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

Xden

Post by Xden »

I'm here because people are nice, and I often find that my friends IRL don't respect me quite as much as I'd like. Maybe it's just that I need friends who are on a more intellectual and mental level to talk to every now and then, rather than just crazy parties, alcohol, concerts/raves, and bright flashing lights. I sense that I can get the kind of mental stimulation that I have been looking for here.

And because I really love this game, and what it can do for people. That is, of course, what drew me here in the first place.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Tomate wrote:
By talking things like "Yada yada, i hate the mainstream" and "i hope this never becomes popular" you guys are being gigantic jerks, and probably some new users is going to read this and think "better avoid the boards, they hate newcomers", do we really want that?
Basically, don't become the monster you seek to slay.

Anyway, I honestly do not get the hatred towards anything mainstream by the geek/nerd culture. I ain't gonna lie; I find people who are quote unquote "Normalfags" and part of the mainstream culture to be generally nicer than gamers, anime fans, geeks, nerds, etc. (I gonna exclued comic book fans because generally, older comic book fans are really laid back and nice) Why is that?

Back at the subject at hand. I won't lie; why I may be on the "trolls" on here (using this term loosely because apparently making fun of the most popular character in KS is trolling), I do find thing place really welcoming and just chilled. Everyone is just laid back and don't have a stick up their ass (for the most part).
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Total Destruction wrote:Also, I'm gay for fanfiction now, so~

Just pretend they're of a different gender. It's easier that way.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
~Shultz

Post by ~Shultz »

Feelings
The name is /V/ice~
yummines

Post by yummines »

as for the whole mainstream debate, here's my 2 cents into it.

when something becomes "mainstream" it doesn't necessarily become bad. Daft Punk is considered "mainstream" because they are fairly well known but i still like music from Daft Punk (dat Tron:Legacy soundtrack was awesome.)

however that is just speaking of content. sometimes when an artist or company goes mainstream, their content often becomes generic as a result of wanting to cater to a larger audience and boost sales. now Katawa Shoujo won't change in itself if more people played it. however the community will grow and lets face it, most people in the world are assholes along with the whole GIFT theory that was previously mentioned. the reason why the League of Legend community and Gaia Online community is bad is that its very large and encompasses a huge amount of people. most people become assholes once theyre on the internet. a lot of people tend to have very static opinions which they view as fact. people like to argue over things as part of their nature, so threads would likely be less "Who do you like the most" and more "List why is Hanako so much better than everybody else"

i for one dont mind more people getting into this game. its a good game, and if you fully understand it can give you some important life lessons. however very very often it also attracts retards (like much of the Naruto fanbase) and trolls. the lack of trolls in this forum is because it is small. what's the point of trolling like 20 people when you can troll 200?

so while i would like a larger forum that moves quicker i dont want to trade being invaded by retards and trolls.

also, i think that is why the KS Devs decided not to put an off-topic or general discussion board. to avoid this.
Supersona

Post by Supersona »

I still have yet to make an account, but my favorite thing so far is that the majority of the fanfic writers are good at writing. Not just not Sturgeon's law, but most of them.
Supersona

Post by Supersona »

Tomate wrote: By talking things like "Yada yada, i hate the mainstream" and "i hope this never becomes popular" you guys are being gigantic jerks, and probably some new users is going to read this and think "better avoid the boards, they hate newcomers", do we really want that?
I hate this thought process you're exhibiting that, instead of thinking of arguments against something, makes up a BS consequence to make the other side look wrong. Not wanting a bunch of people from the outside flooding in here at once and not wanting anyone ever are two different things, and it has been made clear that most of these people are holders of the former. For example, I'm new here, but I hold pretty much the same opinion every time I go to a different forum. You want to know why? Because grand exposure has ruined many places by flooding it with undesirables from shitty parts of the internet, and the mods did nothing to stop it because they thought exactly what you thought. That doesn't mean I want to be the last person here, I just don't want retards from some shithole like reddit or /b/ flooding a good community.

/rant.

Nothing against you, a lot of people do that.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

For me, part of the continuing attraction is the community here, and part of it is the encouragement to continue to try to better myself that I get from you folks.

But, to be honest, a great deal of it is because my brain hasn't let go of KS yet. I have yet to get through an entire day without thinking about it at some length. And my desire for more KS (even though there will never be a sequel, and I'm perfectly alright with that) has driven me to seek out fan-works. This is a great place to find that stuff.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

mysterycycle wrote:For me, part of the continuing attraction is the community here, and part of it is the encouragement to continue to try to better myself that I get from you folks.

But, to be honest, a great deal of it is because my brain hasn't let go of KS yet. I have yet to get through an entire day without thinking about it at some length. And my desire for more KS (even though there will never be a sequel, and I'm perfectly alright with that) has driven me to seek out fan-works. This is a great place to find that stuff.
True, true. Why didn't I think of that. I think everyone still here feels kinda the same way. (at least, I too think of a KS char. once a day.) Have I also mentioned yer profile pic is awesome? :lol:
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

I am here because I haven't written my thing yet. It's how I deal with things.

Also, I like the occasional reference joke as much as the next shameless fanboy.

Oh gawd mah drills

OH YEAH on mainstream stuff:

I don't think I would mind if there were more people on here, but the congenial attitude we have right now might be attributable to everyone's respect of the devs. You've noticed that they mod with a very light touch. That might break down if there were a flood of new people, even if they were relatively sane and not all Teabag DudeBro.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

I'm still here because the last place I hung out on shut down plus the people here ain't that bad either