Best/worst places to take the girls out on a date

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dwarduk

Re: Best/worst places to take the girls out on a date

Post by dwarduk »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Or you could just read the book.
I did that afterwards =]. I found the few chapters on M. Thenardier's backstory trying, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. My mum, however, was used to the plot of the musical, so didn't enjoy the "seemingly pointless" (her words) digressions. But shall we take this elsewhere? xD Hard to keep it topical now

More on topic: I've already seen it in this thread, but I would love to take Shizune to an arcade.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

One of the problems people face when going from reading a book to watching a stage act or a movie is that the book tends to dwell inside the character's heads with lots of carefully crafted prose, while the movie or show can work that out with a few gestures.

If you go from seeing the movie or show to reading the book, you'll probably get frustrated having to read all those 'digressions'; and if you go from the book to the movie, you'll feel sometimes that it skips over the subtle subtext the author worked into the prose.

It's just one of those things.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

In the case of Lilly, perhaps give her the book, wait until she reads it, then take her to the musical. The problems that would normally arise from not being able to "see" the characters, story, etc. would be diminished greatly as she's read the story and has an image, at least in her mind, of the characters and story based on the book itself. If the two diverged much it may lead to trouble, but overall I think it'd be doable, and hell, she might even really enjoy it.

I'd rather take someone like Lilly to a concert. I think she'd love a classical performance.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Gandara wrote:
In the case of Lilly, perhaps give her the book, wait until she reads it, then take her to the musical. The problems that would normally arise from not being able to "see" the characters, story, etc. would be diminished greatly as she's read the story and has an image, at least in her mind, of the characters and story based on the book itself. If the two diverged much it may lead to trouble, but overall I think it'd be doable, and hell, she might even really enjoy it.

I'd rather take someone like Lilly to a concert. I think she'd love a classical performance.
I wouldn't. While I'm sure she'd enjoy it, I probably wouldn't. There is very little classical (used broadly, not as in the specific time period) music that I enjoy, so it'd probably be this all over again: http://imgur.com/gallery/ORodk
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

I'm sure Misha would love to go to an amusement park.
She would enjoy it a lot, you on the other hand ..... :?
She would force you to spend all your money on expensive junk food and crane machines/ufo catchers (whatever you wanna call 'em) Prepare to spend hours at the crane machine trying to win Hello Kitty plushies !! :lol:

I wonder is Lilly would enjoy dancing. :)
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Surreal-mind wrote:I'm sure Misha would love to go to an amusement park.
But she wouldn't fit on the rides...
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Helbereth wrote:One of the problems people face when going from reading a book to watching a stage act or a movie is that the book tends to dwell inside the character's heads with lots of carefully crafted prose, while the movie or show can work that out with a few gestures.

If you go from seeing the movie or show to reading the book, you'll probably get frustrated having to read all those 'digressions'; and if you go from the book to the movie, you'll feel sometimes that it skips over the subtle subtext the author worked into the prose.

It's just one of those things.
You're right, especially since it's a Victor Hugo novel and the adaptations of his works haven't always been that faithful.
Gandara wrote:But she wouldn't fit on the rides...
This joke is getting ancient. Misha is a little overweight, she is not literally Gabe Newell.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Worse Place
Lilly - Movie, theater play, art show, sporting event.
Hanako (before she grew out of her shell and stop caring about what people thought of her looks) - Public areas
Shizune - Obviously a concert unless she likes the vibrations
Emi - Boring places like an art show or formal places
Rin - Too weird to go anywhere.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

If Misha gets dizzy walking up stairs, taking her on ferris wheels and roller coasters and stuff might be a really bad idea.
Not Dead Yet
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

demonix wrote:
WorldlyWiseman wrote: Don't a lot of movie theaters provide closed captioning? Anyway, there's no reason Lilly couldn't enjoy a musical.
Don't you mean audio description since Lilly wouldn't be able to read subtitles.
That is what I meant, excuse my brain malfunction.
Dr. Robotnik wrote:
>enjoy

>a musical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SGvgwo7OW8&t=2m23s
Gandara wrote:

Lilly is probably much better than any of us at figuring things out with less information, so context may not be as big of an issue as we're thinking. Especially with musicals, since they're pretty much written to lead up to their musical content. Musicals might fill a space in her entertainment that books or movies wouldn't be able to, to be able to sit idly and have a spectacle unfold before her. A concert might be much the same, but those don't stick in your head like a good showtune does :)

Anyway, I listed Rocky Horror Picture Show as a bad date for Lilly because it seems like a good idea (it's fun as a musical), but there are problems with it (She wouldn't get a lot of a humor and would be put off by the audience participation bits). I wasn't making a jab at her being blind.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oddball wrote:If Misha gets dizzy walking up stairs, taking her on ferris wheels and roller coasters and stuff might be a really bad idea.
That's why I brought her to the Mall. Escalators aren't that bad.

Someone writing a Misha post-game fic (Hoitash's US of Misha) figured Misha has an inner-ear disorder that causes the dizziness, as well as her loudness, but that's not canon. It makes perfect sense, though.

It kinda makes me wonder about my Aunt. She's like that - very loud and not good with stairs.
Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

Oddball wrote:If Misha gets dizzy walking up stairs, taking her on ferris wheels and roller coasters and stuff might be a really bad idea.
Oh, I had forgotten about that, you're right.
But that means that I was right, she would force you to spend all day at the crane machines. WAHAHA !! :lol:
Helbereth wrote:Misha has an inner-ear disorder that causes the dizziness, as well as her loudness, but that's not canon. It makes perfect sense, though..
That really makes a lot of sense !