Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pseudogenesis

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Snow_Storm wrote:How shocking and original. Everyone going for Hanako.

Wow, tell me how it feels to be shocking and original. The girls are meant to represent different facets of different personalities. Many empathize with Hanako because, I would assume, they've been through something similar. Not necessarily burns of course, but isolation and distrust. I know I have.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I'd say I became very attached to Shizune. I didn't find her that bitchy or bossy to be honest, just a hard worker and someone that'll drag diligence out of you even if it kills her. Can't say I hate that, I'm quite lazy myself until I receive a little push.
EyesOfLilly

Post by EyesOfLilly »

I mostly got attached to Emi, which is shocking for me because I actually didn't like her at first, but after playing her path I found her to be quite endearing and I grew to really like her character, especially after she finally opens up to Hisao and confesses everything to him.

However I can't actually explain why she made the most impact on me as I have never been in any circumstance that she was in but out of all the girls she was the one I mostly got attached to, her and Lilly but I mainly got attached to Lilly's refined character and how she is such a motherly figure I actually detested her closet alcoholic nympho side and didn't seem to fit her character at all IMO and that's why she didn't have that much of an impact as much as Emi even though my favourite is Lilly.

The only other character I got attached to but more in a "I'd love to hang out with her" way was Lilly's older sister Akira, I love her boyish personality and she's always down to just chill out and have a few beers when she has time now that fits her character unlike Lilly where it didn't at all.
Fave Girls: Lilly >Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
Fave Misc. Characters: Akira>Miki>Yuuko>Misha>Nurse>Kenji>Nomiya>Hideaki>Jigoro
Fave Paths: Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Rin > Shizune
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

metalangel wrote: Consider most of the people playing this game. Here's a timid, submissive, shy girl rejected by almost everyone she knows. Just like them! But she's also their dream of a hot Japanese/anime babe, plus she's DAMAGED, see, so they can gallop in on their charger and claim to understand her and she'll be so happy to have someone finally open up to her that they'll totally make out on the spot.

Please don't generalize us like that. I found this very offensive, and if it wasn't for getting banned I would let you know in no uncertain terms just how offensive. I don't like her because she is damaged. I like her because she is shy and quiet. I like those types in general, and the fact that it is because she is damaged has nothing to do with it. My last girlfriend was the quiet, shy type but she wasn't damaged at all. She had a good home life and had nothing to complain about.

The reason I like Hanako is because she eventually gets over that extreme social aversion. If she never did, I would have been quite turned off to her. I wouldn't be a white knight for her because I wouldn't want anyone to take on that role for me. Id be there for her if she comes to me for the help. I wouldn't just force it on her, assuming that she needs it.

THat said, I got attached to pretty much all of them, aside from Shizune. Hanako, Lilly, Rin, and Emi.

I found Emi endearing because she is so upbeat and bright, something that I wish I could be. She pushes people to move forward and not just give up. Also she is physically what I look for. Petite all around, much like my last girlfriend.

Lilly is beautiful and just as confident as Emi is, however its a quiet confidence. I think just being around her would be reassuring. She also hates it when people are afraid to be who they are, or apologizing for things they cant change. She tells Hisao a number of times to stop apologizing for his heart condition. However unlike others, I think her Healthy Adolescent Sex Drive would turn me off. Even though Im stil a vrigin, Ive got a very strong opinion of what making love should be, and it isnt having sex just to have sex.

RIn, while not physically much my type, I do like her personality. She is complicated which is a bit much for me, however she has got the attitude where she isnt afraid to be herself. It matters not to her what you think of her and she takes the time to notice the small things in life that may others are far to busy to concern themselves with.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I had a long post here but I think I might have got a bit too far with it.

So let me just ask this instead to all the people that feel the need to insult others for their preferences.

What makes you so special that you can judge people?
Not Dead Yet
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

I guess I'm in a not-that-bad mood right now, so we can just pretend this never happened if you'd prefer.
And why the hell can I only delete some posts on this forum but not others goddamn.
Last edited by Brogurt on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Brogurt wrote:
well, maybe not Brogurt either, but everybody else
I didn't even post in this thread
Yeah, but you like messing with people. You know this and I know this.
And now, you seem to think that the forums are your personal blog. Damn shame you had to try and start shit with me, because you sure didn't earn my good will by doing that, and now your deleted post isn't so deleted anymore.
I'm not looking for a fight. I was just joking around there, I figured you'd be familiar with "jokes", but I've made worse enemies than you and I'm still alive, so if you want to decide that I'm not your archenemesis or something over a single line feel free. I won't loose sleep over it.
Not Dead Yet
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Oddball wrote:So let me just ask this instead to all the people that feel the need to insult others for their preferences.

What makes you so special that you can judge people?
Why even ask them? Just add them to your ignore list.

Since I discovered that feature, it has made posting here a lot more enjoyable :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:How shocking and original. Everyone going for Hanako.

Wow, tell me how it feels to be shocking and original. The girls are meant to represent different facets of different personalities. Many empathize with Hanako because, I would assume, they've been through something similar. Not necessarily burns of course, but isolation and distrust. I know I have.
Because I keeps it real. Most ya niggas only went for Hanako because she's this broken, moe, timid, and submissive anime character who ya just love to gush over, in the meanwhile completely missing the point of her route of not being a sympathetic white knight.

It's okay, not everyone gets the bad ending and a heavy dose of reality their first try! :)

metalangel wrote: Then there's Lilly, who conforms to the Western ideal of beauty: blonde hair, blue eyes, large breasts. Plus she drinks! (such a mystique for pubescents) and she actively wants to have sex! (wow, I didn't realize girls enjoyed or wanted sex) .
I know right? Who knew girls are just as horny as us guys? Shit, I mean, I totes don't have a couple of female friends who told me about their sexual adventures such as masturbating in the kitchen when nobody was at home or having anal five times and enjoying it each time. Shit, I guess being an shy, awkward virgin male who too shy to talk their female friends (implying they have some) about sex and the such is such a great life!
Last edited by Snow_Storm on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

I have yet to finish all routes but I have to say Emi, I just love her personality so much
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Well, this thread turned sour quick.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

ShadeHaven wrote:Well, this thread turned sour quick.
Yeah. Who knew that liking the same characters that most other people liked meant there was something wrong with you?
Not Dead Yet
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Snow_Storm wrote:
Because I keeps it real. Most ya niggas
Heavily tempted to stop reading

Snow_Storm wrote:
Because I keeps it real. Most ya niggas only went for Hanako because she's this broken, moe, timid, and submissive anime character who ya just love to gush over, in the meanwhile completely missing the point of her route of not being a sympathetic white knight.

It's okay, not everyone gets the bad ending and a heavy dose of reality their first try! :)
I got the bad ending last night, and it confirmed my suspicions entirely. Who wants to be treated like something fragile their entire lives? I doubt many people on this forum would go into Hanako's path thinking something like "I must save this poor, broken girl!" That's a huge sweeping generalization to make.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Because I keeps it real. Most ya niggas only went for Hanako because she's this broken, moe,
When ever I hear people use "moe" to describe an anime character, I expect them to start poking people in the eyes and throwing pies at them.

I can't be the only one, can I?

It's okay, not everyone gets the bad ending and a heavy dose of reality their first try!
I think even after getting the good ending, alot of people don't quite get the point. It's not that trying to help her is wrong. She obviously needs help and she knows it. The problem is treating her less like a person and more like something to fix as well as not admitting your character has flaws that he needs her help with as well. The point comes across alot better in Emi's route I think when he tells her that knights can help other knights.

I'm not sure if I phrased that well, but it makes sense in my head.
Not Dead Yet
Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

Rin, basically because we're both weirdos and nobody understands us. :lol:
Oddball wrote: When ever I hear people use "moe" to describe an anime character, I expect them to start poking people in the eyes and throwing pies at them.
When I hear "Moe",
Moe's tavern is the first thing that comes to my mind.
ShadeHaven wrote:Well, this thread turned sour quick.
True....

C-can't we all get along?