Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AussieInquisitor

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by AussieInquisitor »

In lieu of the title of the thread, that's a bit of a difficult question to put into a comprehensive answer. Nevertheless, I shall try.

Disclaimer: I hadn't played through KS again in two years, so some of the below is reliant on foggy recollection and might not reflect the full extent of the canon source material. I also cannot claim that anything you are about to read hasn't been said by someone else elsewhere, so if you're here for an 'original' insight, prepare to be greatly disappointed.

First, some personal opinions on some of the notable dramatia personae:

Emi
I found her "never look back" attitude to life to be inspiring, as she seems to never let anything negative get to her; her cheek (tongue-in-cheek, I mean), boundless energy and concern for Hisao's well-being (even going out of her way to help with Hisao's eating habits) also helped.

On the other hand, the revelation that her father's death had impacted greatly on her life and may have been eating away at her (just my interpretation, folks) certainly put the above in a new light and made me question whether her attitude and quirks were always there in her life or were partly brought about by the above. Yet, I identified with her in this way, having lost a close family member nearly seven years ago, As my father told me only just a week ago, you can try and move on, but when something like this hits you, you can never 'get over it' - no-one should EVER say that to anyone.

Rin
I found Rin's story to be a bit of a train-wrecking bender to try and untangle during her route. Like Hisao, I often found myself scratching my head as the both of us tried to work out what made this artfully-gifted, yet sometimes 'off-the-wall' girl tick. Eventually, Hisao (and by extension, myself) came to the same conclusion - you don't NEED to get inside a girl's head and get to know them fully in order to love them for what they were. Granted, this is an aesop that is also prevalent in the other routes, but I felt Rin's dealt with it the most prominently.

On the other hand, I found myself somewhat horrified regarding how far she pushed herself - mentally as well as physically - once she begins her short-lived 'career' in the gallery. A certain incident in an atelier at the odd hours of the night, her brief experiment with smoking and her breakdown in the route's penultimate chapter - there were times when I wanted to shake my screen and plead, "For heaven's sake, STOP!".

And that 'neutral' end-scene in the fog-laced streets, knowing the implications that may or may not affect her down the trial of the years ahead ... :cry:

Whoever said that Rin's route was one of the 'darker' ones within KS certainly wasn't lying!

Shizune
As someone may have pointed out earlier in the thread, there might be girls (or rather, personality traits emulated by the cast's heroines) with whom you'd click and others with whom you'd don't. Shizune was one of those who didn't 'click' with me as much as some of the others.

Maybe I might have been affected by initial impressions outside of her route, but I found her business-like passive-aggressiveness overbearing at times. I could easily see why half of the old Student Council all but mutinied and jumped ship; whether it was because the old Council didn't like the way she ran things or whether she ran the Council into the ground under the weight of red-tape, though, is a debate for another time.

On the other hand, her route gave the character some much-needed fleshing out and I was able to move on beyond first impressions to see what really drove her. It allowed me to see the person underneath the facade of her position. The occasionally tense interactions with her father was also insightful in allowing me to see what made her tick - honestly, he can do his best for his daughter if and when he genuinely cared for her, but in general: 'what a prick'.

As for the revelations concerning Misha in this route - with or without 'doing the deed' - damn. Just ... damn.

Hanako
Hanako was the second character with whom I didn't quite 'click' with. Yet, unlike Shizune, there were parts of her character that I could identify with a bit more readily: the loss of her parents, her history of bullying in school, her tendency to 'shut down' when the stress or pressure of a situation becomes too much for her, etc.. On the other hand, the moment when she blows up at Hisao was both expected and unexpected, if that makes sense to anyone. There were signs that she resented being stereotyped and treated as someone to be 'protected' by anyone, even if they did give a genuine damn about her, but the way it all exploded in Hisao's face ... all it needed was for the ending to have been punctuated by the door being slammed in his face and I think the shock would have been completed!

In many ways, her character is the one that changes the most throughout KS' story, in spite of taking place in a shorter period of time then, say, Shizune's or Rin's. She really does 'come of age' by story's end, even in the other routes where her progress isn't fully touched on. This is something I haven't exactly seen in other VNs where auxiliary routes and the changes their featured heroines undergo are concerned.

Kenji
OK, I'm not going to lie here: there were times I honestly desired to run the poor guy through with an 18-inch bayonet. Granted, he can be hilarious (at times, I must stress) and there were memorable moments during Shizune's route where we do see the boy behind the glasses - literally, as well as figuratively. However, for the most part, a good chunk of his ranting came off to me as downright annoying rather then insightful, logic-bending or comedic. I was thus quickly turned off of the character; you can imagine my relief during one route where you can get Hisao to tune out during one of Kenji's bouts.

He probably wouldn't have been out of place on The Goon Show, come to think of it. :wink:

And now, for the character I got the most attached to, which you've well and truly worked out about a fifth of the page ago. :)

Lilly
OK, OK, I admit it: I was somewhat smitten by her after Hisao and Lilly's first meeting! And in a way, that's partly what her route is about - how first impressions about someone you like, know as a friend or even love deeply can be equally beneficial and, under circumstances, very damaging.

Lilly is, in my opinion, one of the most compassionate, mature and likable characters of the entirety of KS' cast, despite the hyperbole that can be concluded from this. I'm sure someone else has summed up her positive character traits better then I can, so I'll leave it at this.

On the other hand, she isn't a one-note character and her flaws stand out just as well. She feels torn between family and friends when the ugly matter of Scotland rears up, resulting in an indecisiveness and split loyalty which can nearly cost both her and Hisao everything they've built up together. In relation to this, she can 'clam up' about vital or devastating matters - though whether it's due to a fear of worrying those close to her or a belief that she should bear it on her own, I'm not sure - until (when prodded) it all comes spilling out in a flood, as demonstrated with the conversation with Hisao in Act IV and, to a lesser extent, in her good ending.

Well, that's all I have to say on this thread - I consider myself both a proud Lilquisitor and privileged to have been one of the many who have read this masterpiece of a VN. I just hope that what I have written here can help provide some insight into what made me like these characters or what I 'saw' in them.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I hear a church bell in Inverness ringing ...
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
HanakosForeverFriend

Post by HanakosForeverFriend »

As one can imagine simply by looking at my username , for me is Hanako as well the most interesting , emotional and beautiful person in Katawa Shoujo ; my life itself is not as terrible as her's or this of other users here ( so far i read them posts ) , but i have friends with problems in their lifes , and almost daily i go visit one of them , talking to them and give my very best to cheer them up ... but as Shizune once said it : " Your best is sometimes just not enough " .. and i ended up having lost one of my cheerful friends ... i said so to my best friend ( whom i brought to play Katawa Shoujo :D ) ... " If i would wake up in a no-man's-room and realize i'm at Yamaku now , i would go to the library , find Hanako , startle her , say sorry and keep it going "

Right now i'm going to learn chess :P
A full one hundred hours is not enough to complete for me :D
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

First off: Welcome to the forums HFF! Nice to see a new face 'round here.

Gonna update my answers now that I've finished all routes (good end, mind you. Perhaps I'm a bit manipulative, but I could game out most of the options.) And I will say, I'm a bit torn.

#1.1: Rin Tezuka
First off, I relate a lot to her. As in like, I think of her and I start crying/laughing hysterically because that's how I could've been. Either way, her story, artistic process, and personality overall were very attractive and kinda stuck to me like one of her hugs.

Activating Spoiler shield! Okay, so first off, the masturbation scene. As I have said before, masturbation, while often a form of sexual release, can also be emotionally helpful (chemicals from the climax, etc.) and so I understood how she felt, and I also think that the scene was very metaphoric for the relationship up to that point.

Next, destroying herself for art. Well, I've never locked myself in an attic-equivalent and just wrote or made anything till I nearly starved to death, but there have been several occasions where people walk in on me after a day of no food/water because I was doing homework followed by writing followed by making my game and "save" me by pulling me out and feeding me. I often resent them a lot in the moment. So, again, I understood her thought process, and even respected it on a certain level. If Hisao could manage to peel her a citrus and throw a juice box in once a day, I'd be happy until she was willing to come down. Furthermore, I share her view of art on any level. You put yourself into each piece, every stroke, so it is dangerous. I've looked at some of my childhood drawings and teared up because I remember who I was back then. I've looked at some of my world-building projects from a couple years back even, and laughed because they're all the same at a basic level. Some cthuloid monster is slowly eating away yet at the world/populace/royalty but the culture prevents most form noticing/stopping it. Just how I thought then.

1.2: Lilly Satou
Well, I'm attached to her because again, I relate a lot to her. I often become the leader, one way or another, in any group I'm in, (Either the official leader leaves and I'm the only one up to bat, or they fall on me for support so I have to puppeteer them into doing what's right.) so I'm used to being the calm, reserved person in a situation when you really just want to tackle the opponent and rip their throat out. Furthermore, I suffer from White-Knight syndrome, so I am very protective.

And the scene at the hospital was just heartbreaking. I've had a moment similar to that of "Just let me cry for once" with my best friend, and it sucks on such a deep level when you're used to being the strong person. It hurt even more because the friend uses me as his conscience, so breaking down infront of him hurt him as well. There's a reason I'm less sympathetic than I used to, I guess. Either way, it sealed the deal with Lilly. And, TBH she just makes me all warm and fuzzy when I think of her, in more ways than one. :wink:

2: Hanako Ikezawa
Well, what can I say. White-Knighting complex + OMGSHE'SSOCUTEANDPRETTYANDSCARRED pulled me into her route, where it beat me down on the first front, and made me very appreciative of her personality.

Okay, so white-knighting aside, as forever preached, I like her because I relate to her due to the bullying reactions. I always find people who I look at and think "that's who I could've been" in terms of life. That, and the last scene in the park was just a kittens moment for me.

The only reason she's not #1 is because the relationship was built on me wanting to protect her, rather than attraction. However, as the tale goes, Knight meets maiden, knight defends maiden, Maiden falls in love with knight, Knight feels obligated because refusing the attraction of the pretty young girl would mean decapitation of the third degree. Which is not to say I didn't like her, she just wasn't as up there as Rin or Lilly.

3.1: Mutou
I've always had a (non-sexual) thing with my science teachers. I was a bright and attentive student who often brought a lot more than a pencil to the experiment. (even helped the teacher build one to be more telling and efficient in 7th grade.) So I liked him. Furthermore, he was kind to Hisao very often and also gave helpful advice. And he used one of my old tricks when he explains scientific concepts to help Hisao's relationships. I'm also perhaps a bit more attached to him because he looks rather like an older version of me.

3.2: Emi Ibarazaki
Well, she's cute. I found myself unable to relate to her a lot, simply because... well jeez. I dunno actually. I just kinda found myself as a passenger and occasionally co-pilot to the story. Now, I am attached to her because A: White-Knighting complex and B: The scene at her father's grave made me relate to her alot. It's often considered unhealthy to think of an event often after it's happened, yet I am weighed down by all I've learned and seen over the years. (Heh, seeing death at an early age and being bullied all through out life, I should've been a super hero/villain.) This makes me a rather ponderous person if you ever leave me alone in my mind for too long. (Think Richmond's scene with Moss in "The IT Crowd.") So naturally, I related to her problems a lot. That and putting up a happy face when really your crying inside isn't new to me either.

4: Nurse/Yuuko
Because they're hilarious and polite. Nurse is just my kind of humor with a bit more of a nozzle, Yuuko is just funny.

5: Shizune/Kenji/any other character really.
This is section where I put all the side characters. I may have liked them, I may have laughed or thought about them very often, but I'm not attached to them any more than another below-average value for human life. Shizune: cute, relate to her a bit. I also relate to the soda can I'm drinking from now, my toothbrush, my phone, my computer, and my chair. Perhaps my phone a bit more than the others. Kenji: The guys funny, but again, my phone, my soda can.

EDIT: Cleared redundancy.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Disposition

Post by Disposition »

I only got attached to Rin, she has a similar personality to me. I was infatuated with a girl very similar to Rin a few months prior to playing this game. I'm not entirely sure why I was attached to Rin beyond that point, I guess I'm only attracted to non-drones. Too much work to post anymore, so I'll leave it at that.
INTP Enneagram 5w4

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion."

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn't put Humpty together again."
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Disposition wrote:I guess I'm only attracted to non-drones.
So you were attracted to everybody? Because nobody was a drone.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
Disposition

Post by Disposition »

Khalego wrote:
Everyone has different definitions of "drone".
INTP Enneagram 5w4

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion."

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn't put Humpty together again."
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Disposition wrote:
Khalego wrote:
So...You were attracted to everybody then. Cool. :)
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Khalego wrote:
Disposition wrote:Everyone has different definitions of "drone".
So...You were attracted to everybody then. Cool. :)
According to Dictionary.com, a 'drone' is a male honeybee.

Hmmm. I mean, if that's what you're into...
Popo

Post by Popo »

Shizune, despite her weak route. A writing project led me to that.
Every day is a miracle.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Disposition wrote:
Khalego wrote:
I think I have an idea, but out of curiosity, what is yours?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
Disposition wrote:Everyone has different definitions of "drone".
I think I have an idea, but out of curiosity, what is yours?
Here's an appropriate one, considering… LINK
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Dandruff411

Post by Dandruff411 »

Lilly, it's the most adult-like character. Wise, bright and honest, she's the one who showed true love to the Hisao (with Emi, which is my second choice). She's the only one who made the choice of choosing him over another viable option. The others, with the exception of Emi, are attached to "Hisao the savior", which is an unrealistic reason to love someone.

With no big personal problems, she's not broken. I've got "broken" girlfriends in real life and developed an aversion to these self-centered girls. It's not their fault, they have to deal with these problems before being able to really and fully love someone else. It's just really hard to be this supportive guy all the time...

Second choice is Emi, she's the only one that will get Hisao healthy and live a long life. Also, she's a really pleasant girl to be with. Maybe too intellectually shallow for my personnal tastes, but still a really good choice, life will never get boring with Emi. Also, she's not really broken, she lives her grief with herself and loves Hisao because he respects her and sees her as an equal. She's quite grown up too and it's a good thing.

Others are too passive or self-centered for me...
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Having problems = be self-centered ? :?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Zarys wrote:Having problems = be self-centered ? :?
I dont think at one point he mentioned that Problems = Self centered.

Pretty sure he's just talking about personalities.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Dandruff411

Post by Dandruff411 »

Maybe it's because english is not my first language, but I mean that the other girls have big problems to solve and are not that much available to give love. You feel more that YOU make a difference in their live than they do a difference in yours.