Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

semy32

Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by semy32 »

I did a search and haven't found a thread like this so here we go.

I got attached to Hanako, mostly because I'm just like her. Well, with 2 exceptions. Our house didn't burn down and I don't have burn scars. However I have ...eczema... I was born with it. It's on my hands. Just like her I try to hide it.

But since it's on both of my hands it's hard.

I feel the same way the character does.

In my elementary school days...I...got picked on because of it...and.... it hurt...

But worst thing was that people..even my classmates...didn't interact with me because of that. Some of them even said: " OH GOD WTF IS THAT ON YOUR HANDS!? SO GROSS GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!"

With the exception of a friend.
Other Self

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Other Self »

I can also relate to Hanako due to similar social problems and loneliness.
Hanako > Rin > Emi = Lilly > Shizune
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Hanako, because she was the most vulnerable.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Other Self wrote:I can also relate to Hanako due to similar social problems and loneliness.

Something tells me we'd get along. 2 posts in a row where you could've taken the words out of my mouth.

Hanako's storyline really touched me, because I can empathize so easily. I'm in the same zone, I suppose, although experiencing this game has made me realize how vastly less significant my social aversion is, which might be the best thing to have taken out of this.
Last edited by Pseudogenesis on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Not to sound like a broken record, but I was also drawn toward Hanako. I identified with her perception of the world, and immediately understood when she finally laid out how she really felt - I'd had the same kinds of thoughts. If given the chance, I think I'd have been in a position to help her with her anxieties without treating her with kid gloves.

It's easier to bail out someone's sinking boat when you're both in it and neither of you knows how to swim.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Helbereth wrote:Not to sound like a broken record, but I was also drawn toward Hanako. I identified with her perception of the world, and immediately understood when she finally laid out how she really felt - I'd had the same kinds of thoughts. If given the chance, I think I'd have been in a position to help her with her anxieties without treating her with kid gloves.

It's easier to bail out someone's sinking boat when you're both in it and neither of you knows how to swim.

Tell me, exactly how do you want me to credit you when I add that to Wikiquote? Holy god.

I thought they treated her a bit too condescendingly (For lack of a better word) as well, if that's what you meant. I was waiting for one of the characters to make a statement regarding how arrogant wanting to "Protect her" was, but I suppose it's all for the best anyway.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Yeah, Hanako as well. Bullying and being shy. Bullying part I got rid of later that year. Shy part still working on that but I improved.

Every since I knew she was being treated like that, i kinda got a little pissed while reading coz I remember them bullies back in the days.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Shizune. You go through a lot together and learn a lot, both about your(Hisao)self and each other. Growing like that, helping each other through tough situations, you come out of it with a strong connection.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

How shocking and original. Everyone going for Hanako.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Helbereth wrote:It's easier to bail out someone's sinking boat when you're both in it and neither of you knows how to swim.

Tell me, exactly how do you want me to credit you when I add that to Wikiquote? Holy god.
Paints a picture, right?

- Paul Thibeault
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

ravenlord wrote:Hanako, because she was the most vulnerable.
Same here. Emi's still my favorite, but I can't stop thinking about Hanako, and I think it's precisely because of this. My heart goes out to her.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Snow_Storm wrote:How shocking and original. Everyone going for Hanako.
Yeah, Its like the Crusades, white knights all around! And must guys get attached to her because she was bullied, thats pretty crappy, her bad ending rant wasn't something like "I know that i have problems but i dont need your pity, fucker, get lost"?.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oh, I'd be attached because she's quiet, polite, likes to read, cook, play chess and sing, and she's adorable. The fact that I'd also understand her insecurities is just icing. Her and Emi actually have a lot in common as far as that goes except that Hanako is drawn inward behind her scars while Emi runs in front of them. However, Emi's too 'sporty' for me.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Tomate wrote:
Yeah, Its like the Crusades, white knights all around! And must guys get attached to her because she was bullied, thats pretty crappy, her bad ending rant wasn't something like "I know that i have problems but i dont need your pity, fucker, get lost"?.
Consider most of the people playing this game. Here's a timid, submissive, shy girl rejected by almost everyone she knows. Just like them! But she's also their dream of a hot Japanese/anime babe, plus she's DAMAGED, see, so they can gallop in on their charger and claim to understand her and she'll be so happy to have someone finally open up to her that they'll totally make out on the spot.

Then there's Lilly, who conforms to the Western ideal of beauty: blonde hair, blue eyes, large breasts. Plus she drinks! (such a mystique for pubescents) and she actively wants to have sex! (wow, I didn't realize girls enjoyed or wanted sex) and she's half Scottish/half Japanese (so Britain and Japan, two cultures that are completely misunderstood and held in almost unassailable esteem by the ignorant) but she's also very passive and patient so she's completely non-threatening to the sort of person who gets a semi when the cashier in 7-11's fingers touch their palm giving them their change.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

yeah, I kinda saw it coming when this thread began so i'd say why not go for her as well? (there's gonna be a bunch of us anyways.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.