Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dwarduk

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by dwarduk »

It was Lilly for me. When I played KS I was still trying to get over my breakup almost a year beforehand - yes, emotionally I'm a slow mender - and my ex, while in stature and personality a lot like Emi, resembles Lilly and ended up trying to fill the same supportive role as was filled for Hisao. I suppose I found playing Lilly's route similar to "playing my ex's route" without screwing up as badly.

Then Scotland cemented it. Oh, it hurt. And that was the good ending :lol:

I also have a soft spot for Hanako, having such an incredibly sweet demeanour, but more in the mode of wanting to rush over and give her a hug.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Well, like I said. I've gone through the same thing that whole damn year. Not saying that I got attached coz I just simply feel sorry for her, I got attached coz as pseudogenesis has said, i've experienced that darn thing which kinda makes me understand what she's been through. So yeah, I ain't ashamed to admit that. And she reminded me that I should've fought back instead of trying to be the peaceful guy lookin' like an idiot. Which is why I got most attached at her story line. Just wanted to say that I didn't go for her coz she's broken and I feel so sorry for her blablabla...
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

ArazelEternal wrote:
metalangel wrote: Consider most of the people playing this game. Here's a timid, submissive, shy girl rejected by almost everyone she knows. Just like them! But she's also their dream of a hot Japanese/anime babe, plus she's DAMAGED, see, so they can gallop in on their charger and claim to understand her and she'll be so happy to have someone finally open up to her that they'll totally make out on the spot.

Please don't generalize us like that. I found this very offensive, and if it wasn't for getting banned I would let you know in no uncertain terms just how offensive. I don't like her because she is damaged. I like her because she is shy and quiet. I like those types in general, and the fact that it is because she is damaged has nothing to do with it. My last girlfriend was the quiet, shy type but she wasn't damaged at all. She had a good home life and had nothing to complain about.

The reason I like Hanako is because she eventually gets over that extreme social aversion. If she never did, I would have been quite turned off to her. I wouldn't be a white knight for her because I wouldn't want anyone to take on that role for me. Id be there for her if she comes to me for the help. I wouldn't just force it on her, assuming that she needs it.
Being "damaged" is but one part of the reasons I gave. You can be shy and/or retiring for any number of reasons, a traumatic experience is not a prerequisite.

I'd hope that everyone who finishes her route learns just what you said, that you should be trying to get over your social aversion. The conspiratorial part of my mind wonders if that was part of the intention behind her story: to make her seem desirable to people who were after that sort of thing and show them.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

metalangel wrote:
ArazelEternal wrote:
metalangel wrote: Consider most of the people playing this game. Here's a timid, submissive, shy girl rejected by almost everyone she knows. Just like them! But she's also their dream of a hot Japanese/anime babe, plus she's DAMAGED, see, so they can gallop in on their charger and claim to understand her and she'll be so happy to have someone finally open up to her that they'll totally make out on the spot.

Please don't generalize us like that. I found this very offensive, and if it wasn't for getting banned I would let you know in no uncertain terms just how offensive. I don't like her because she is damaged. I like her because she is shy and quiet. I like those types in general, and the fact that it is because she is damaged has nothing to do with it. My last girlfriend was the quiet, shy type but she wasn't damaged at all. She had a good home life and had nothing to complain about.

The reason I like Hanako is because she eventually gets over that extreme social aversion. If she never did, I would have been quite turned off to her. I wouldn't be a white knight for her because I wouldn't want anyone to take on that role for me. Id be there for her if she comes to me for the help. I wouldn't just force it on her, assuming that she needs it.
Being "damaged" is but one part of the reasons I gave. You can be shy and/or retiring for any number of reasons, a traumatic experience is not a prerequisite.

I'd hope that everyone who finishes her route learns just what you said, that you should be trying to get over your social aversion. The conspiratorial part of my mind wonders if that was part of the intention behind her story: to make her seem desirable to people who were after that sort of thing and show them.

Well definitely. I don't want to speak for the developers by any means, but I think that's why Hanako resonates so powerfully with so many. Those who like anime aren't known for being tough guy alpha-males. Playing Hanako's route brought out some very deep empathy, and I could see a bit of myself in her social interactions. In a way, it was almost like I was helping myself get over some latent issues. It's very therapeutic.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Malkizid

Post by Malkizid »

Not doing this just to break a trend, but something in me definitely resonated within me when I went through Emi's path...I've been overweight for a few years now, and Emi's path really sort of pressed the message on to me that I can change things...another reason I related to her is because I feel sort of socially awkward, I don't really feel like discussing my problems or my mental state...that inability and how Emi resolved it really meant something to me...well, lost 7 Kg, and I'm continuing on my way, thank you Emi, and the wonderful people at 4LS, you've given me the ability to start down a new path!
The girls in the order I experienced their stories ( I experienced Hanako second-hand).
kisora

Post by kisora »

I had to relearn how to walk again, Emi.
Aili

Post by Aili »

Hanako and Emi, in a strange way.

I went through something psychological, not physical, but I still was rather...traumatized by it, not wanting to meet other people and putting on a fake smile to make people think I was fine.

Whenever somebody tried to reach me, I pushed them away like Emi did, especially if they were the white knight type. I hurt them, but thanks to a certain someone I realized that I couldn't hurt people because of my own issues. I eventually got over it, but I still have a serious dislike for people who pity me. I'm still very shy IRL, though.
Lilly > Misha> Shizune > Hanako > Emi > Rin
Tununias

Post by Tununias »

Probably Hanako. I could relate to her the most out of all the characters. I didn't talk to many people in High School and didn't have any friends at school. Although I was still pretty well known due to me being really talkative(and a little obnoxious) in Middle and Elementary School.
I might have also gotten a little WKS(White Knight Syndrome) as well.

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Definitely Shizune/Misha.

Reason why? Because they have strong roles in all the paths. I got the feeling that, even if I didn't end up dating Shizune, she was happy to see me find happiness for myself. Because that's her goal in life, to make people happy.

She's kinda lousy at it, though. Thankfully Misha was there to help temper her steel with cute.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Because that's her goal in life, to make people happy.

She's kinda lousy at it, though.
I love the way you put this. I just wanted you to know that.
Not Dead Yet
Mint

Post by Mint »

Well I guess I must have missed the part where this thread became "which character can you say you're attached to while sounding original"

I also go with Hanako on this one. She's been my favorite character since the first time I've played through her arc. And I am well aware she perfectly fits the stereotype of what people who play Katawa Shoujo would generally like. She's pretty, socially inept, broken and mentally scarred, making her the perfect fragile little thing for a man's whiteknight ego to claim. Maybe it is indeed an elaborate ploy by 4LS to make the character more likable in the eyes of others. But hey.

It worked.

I can't twist my words and say that Hanako isn't my favorite character. By far, she ranks as not just my favorite KS character, but one among favorite fictional ones as well. Mainly because, I admit, I have the "shy girl complex". It's one of my desires to comfort a girl that requires it, perhaps because I can relate to the feeling of not being comforted when you need it. And Hanako is a character that's exactly what I, for a lack of better term, "fantasize" of.

I can say I also got attached to Lilly as well. She's a perfect foil to the modern day teenage female, which is why I like her. Because I dislike them. She's logical, composed, calm and analytic. A girl that you would definitely enjoy having in your life.
nemz

Post by nemz »

Oddball wrote:When ever I hear people use "moe" to describe an anime character, I expect them to start poking people in the eyes and throwing pies at them.

I can't be the only one, can I?
Clearly not. :lol:

And to answer the thread, Rin. She just hits all my buttons exactly the right way and reminds me of more than one previous girlfriend (good and bad) in the process. I feel like I sorta already did date her because of that, and got a variation of the neutral end twice IRL (though not because I was being a mindless fucking tool like Hisao in that route... the rage he induced sometimes, geez!) Hell, even reading Gecko's "The Lamb and the Fox" and following his soundtrack cues to a playlist I just left running managed to sideswipe me in a totally unfair manner due to RL associations to a particular song (Marillion's "Kayleigh") that popped up right when I got to the argument in the rain.

Feels just aren't fair sometimes.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Surreal-mind wrote:
Oddball wrote: When ever I hear people use "moe" to describe an anime character, I expect them to start poking people in the eyes and throwing pies at them.
When I hear "Moe",
Moe's tavern is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Moe Szyslak wrote:*in a corner, reading* "And then they realized, they were no
longer little girls: they were little women." *sniffles*

You can't escape The Feels, even in the Simpsons.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
yummines

Post by yummines »

it seems people aren't used to Snow_Storm's brand of sarcasm and ironic humor yet on this forum. or anyones really. so much butthurt.

anyhow.

Rin - Mainly because like her i tend to drift off sometimes, and not only like art but also the type of art she paints. i love seeing stuff like this or this, i love surreal as well as horror inspired art. i personally dont think i'm that hard to understand, but then again i didnt find Rin hard to understand either so that might say something about me... i honestlydon't know what's wrong with me either and i do wish i could come to the same conclusion as her in her good ending. you know, where she decides she doesn't have to live up to expectations of others all the time, she can just be herself. i have trouble doing that myself so that might by why as well.

well that and im not too good at talking with others as well. dont know what to say half the time, and the other half get ignored completely or have weird looks because i said something weird.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

yummines wrote:it seems people aren't used to Snow_Storm's brand of sarcasm and ironic humor yet on this forum. or anyones really. so much butthurt.
Aye, agreed. His posts are generally funny, people should relax more, no need to take everything someone says online so seriously.

Whats the deal with all those bullied kids and Hanako? Was i the only dude in the universe that was bullied in high school and did not had severe mental scars?
Sure, i was bullied on high school, but then i was not about to turn my life into a weepy hell because some kids made fun of my speech problems, life went on, i ignored the bullies, bullied right back, made friends, had a normal life despite the fact that i was bullied for about two years in high school (gosh! two years! Think about the mental scaring).

Anyway, i shall not turn this thread into a blog, so let me answer.

I'm mostly attached (in a very loose way) to Shizune. I like the way she deals with the world, when she was problems she deals with then in her own way, shes loyal to her friends, reliable under pressure, dost not suffer needless drama. She seems way more mature than the other girls, yet she has a childish side and is not afraid of having fun.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!