Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Atario

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Atario »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Since half the people here are introverted weirdos who got shut out by society.
Making friends right off the bat, I see.
Honestly I am dumbfounded by all the Hanako lovers here. I can relate to Hanako because I was bullied when I was young (I have a horribly odd accent that is half British half American and I have support teachers sitting next to me all day) but I ended up overcoming that by just rising my studies higher than everybody else and than pretending to be a condescending prick who is invincible.
Thus explaining your post. See, you dealt by becoming a prick. She dealt by withdrawing.
I would be lying if I said it isn't hilariously fun to bully and torment other bullies and idiots.
Sorry, a prick and a bully.
Honestly being bullied is more of a good learning experience if anything.
You keep telling yourself that, if it lets you sleep at night… :roll:
If I were to get easily attached to people because of what problems they have I would be a pretty sad and crappy individual. What I am seeing a lot here is "Hanako was bullied and is introverted just like I am. I am really attached to her". It's pretty sad to see people go and love a character, not because of her personality but because she has been bullied and has problems similar to themselves. It almost sounds like half you lot would frown upon somebody who hasn't been bullied. Relating to a characters personality and liking them for that reason is fine but relating to their problems and getting attached to them for that reason? I don't like the sound of that.
This is one of the worst misinterpretations of anything I've ever seen. Let me set you straight.
  1. Introversion is not a problem. Severe avoidance is.
  2. One's history contributes to who one is, including personality-wise. Including whatever problems one has been through or dealt with.
  3. Feeling empathy for someone who is like oneself and/or has been through the same kind of things? I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
  4. Hanako is far more than her problems. Which was most of the point of her route, if you'd been paying attention.
  5. "Frown upon somebody who hasn't been bullied"? What are you, twelve?
I feel the most attached to Rin. I love her manner of speech. It reminds me of how I talk sometimes (when I don't feel like talking too much).
[snip]
Her attitude is slightly similar to mine
I love how it's ok for you to like someone for being similar to yourself, but it's not ok for Hanako fans to do the same.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

No offense... well, maybe some offense actually, but I agree with Atario. That post was flat-out mean and wrong. If you really think that bullying is justified because it "builds character" or whatever you seemed to be alluding to, then you need to get help, and you need to get it now.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

Hmm, I didn't have to deal with bully's as a kid, so I really can't say anything with life experience behind it. But it does sound pretty wrong to say that bullying builds character. You always hear on the news about the kids killing themselves because of bully's, how is that building anything but a big trust issue in later life and huge anti- social reprocusions?
"Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. But if you want to leave fine. Just know that I'll never forget you." - lelo and stitch

"What you talking 'bout tezuka" - Gary Coleman (RIP)
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Honestly I am dumbfounded by all the Hanako lovers here. I can relate to Hanako because I was bullied when I was young (I have a horribly odd accent that is half British half American and I have support teachers sitting next to me all day) but I ended up overcoming that by just rising my studies higher than everybody else and than pretending to be a condescending prick who is invincible.
Thus explaining your post. See, you dealt by becoming a prick. She dealt by withdrawing.
I always thought it was a rule to ignore and avoid people who will try to hurt you and be nice and friendly to people who will make you happy. sorry for being rude to people who try to bully me. Next time I will let them bully and torment me because clearly that seems to be the right thing to do. Withdrawing does't really help get away from bullies in my case. Standing up for myself and fixing the problems myself rather than waiting for others or time to fix it for me is what I think is the right thing to do. Of course though in some cases of bullying that isn't quite possible.
Honestly being bullied is more of a good learning experience if anything.
You keep telling yourself that, if it lets you sleep at night… :roll:
I would like to make a proper counterargument to this but I can hardly understand the point of your comment. It seems to be a plain insult towards me. So rather this is going to be directed to SpunkySix who seems to have misunderstood what I have said here as well (and rightfully so because this is a very short comment and is hardly explained). I am not saying that bullying is a good thing. I am saying that you shouldn't let the bullying get to you and you should rather build yourself up from it. Become the better person and stand up to the bullying. Getting over problems you have had and working to make yourself better to make sure those problems will never arise again. People should find charm in that rather than finding charm in the fact that somebody was bullied. I suppose saying that bullying is a good learning experience was a faux pas. What I was supposed to say was that bullying can be a good learning experience. Of course if it is crazy stuff like psychologically attacking people and black mailing them than that is something that can never be good. But if it is something at a much lower degree it can be quite good at a young age. Don't be so close minded and try reading a few studies about it. Bullying is horrible no matter what but depending on how you receive it and deal with it, it can make you a better person.
If I were to get easily attached to people because of what problems they have I would be a pretty sad and crappy individual. What I am seeing a lot here is "Hanako was bullied and is introverted just like I am. I am really attached to her". It's pretty sad to see people go and love a character, not because of her personality but because she has been bullied and has problems similar to themselves. It almost sounds like half you lot would frown upon somebody who hasn't been bullied. Relating to a characters personality and liking them for that reason is fine but relating to their problems and getting attached to them for that reason? I don't like the sound of that.
This is one of the worst misinterpretations of anything I've ever seen. Let me set you straight.
  1. Introversion is not a problem. Severe avoidance is.
  2. One's history contributes to who one is, including personality-wise. Including whatever problems one has been through or dealt with.
  3. Feeling empathy for someone who is like oneself and/or has been through the same kind of things? I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you.
  4. Hanako is far more than her problems. Which was most of the point of her route, if you'd been paying attention.
  5. "Frown upon somebody who hasn't been bullied"? What are you, twelve?
This is one of the worst misinterpretations of anything I've seen.
  1. Yes I know introversion is not a problem. I never said it was. Although in some cases introversion is a problem.
  2. Yes I acknowledge that "one's history contributes to who one is". That is not relevant to what I am saying however. What I am saying is that liking a character because of their history rather than their personality if weird.
  3. Er never said anything about empathy here either. Please stop shoving words into my mouth. I just said that I don't like the idea of somebody becoming attached to somebody else due to their history rather than their personality.
  4. Which is what I am saying. You should see Hanako for more than just her problems. Are you even reading what I am even writing anymore.
  5. I wasn't talking about myself. I was talking about others. Please don't extract quotes out of context. Please read what I write before criticizing me. BTW do see a bit of ageism? Hopefully not.
    I feel the most attached to Rin. I love her manner of speech. It reminds me of how I talk sometimes (when I don't feel like talking too much).
    [snip]
    Her attitude is slightly similar to mine
    I love how it's ok for you to like someone for being similar to yourself, but it's not ok for Hanako fans to do the same.[/quote]
    What a gross misinterpretation of what I had said.
    I like Rin because some aspects of her are similar to my personality (alongside a lot of other things). I relate to her slightly in terms of personality. If I may quote myself "Relating to a characters personality and liking them for that reason is fine but relating to their problems and getting attached to them for that reason? I don't like the sound of that. "
    That says the problem I have with some Hanako fans quite clearly I think. Basically I don't like how lots of Hanako fans say they like Hanako because of her problems rather than her personality and who she is.

Also I apologize for my very rude starting sentence's. It was uncalled for and it was when I was still a bit angry at the reason's people like Hanako. Yes it was wrong of me to say that. Sorry to anyone who I may have offended and to those who read it.
Last edited by Forever_ambivalent on Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I get what you're saying more now. You can become a tougher person from being bullied, yes. Thing is though, that also tends to come with a side of depression and a jaded view of the world, even after using it to build yourself up. I know all about that.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Atario wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:Since half the people here are introverted weirdos who got shut out by society.
Making friends right off the bat, I see.
Can't say he's wrong, mind you :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Nobody here is trying to bully you, FA, so you can stop "pretending" to be a condescending prick who is invincible.
Not Dead Yet
Velitation

Post by Velitation »

I'll say that being bullied in the past has not made me a better person. It was simply something bad that happened in the past that damaged me. Nothing more, nothing less.

On topic:

I still have to say even after going through KS a year ago that Rin is still the character that I have the most empathy. Going through the conversations and the disconnect between Rin and Hisao reminds me of the disconnect I still have with people to this day (though nowhere near as bad in the past, mind you, and I won't bore you with the personal details here). The way that the two somehow were able to get through all the barriers that were present definitely cheered me up in that regard. That's why it felt gratifying when the story wrapped up. Although when the other endings absolutely crushed me, it was representative of what happened in my life multiple times with people that I cared about, in that I burned bridges with a good number of them because I just couldn't connect to them. In a roundabout way, I guess it leads back into bullying, in that you don't gain anything from it the after the dozens of times it happens to you.
[fahsign]Velitation[/fahsign] Remember, it's just a game.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:I feel the most attached to Rin. I love her manner of speech. It reminds me of how I talk sometimes

I was still a bit angry at the reason's people like Hanako.
"I like Rin because she's similar to me but HOW DARE YOU SCUM LIKE HANAKO FOR THE SAME REASONS!" :roll:

People like Hanako because of her personality, shared experience, and/or shared interests. How the fuck are you getting angry at that? Those are basically the only reasons to actually like anybody. Would you feel better if nobody liked anybody?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Forever_ambivalent

Potato wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:I feel the most attached to Rin. I love her manner of speech. It reminds me of how I talk sometimes

I was still a bit angry at the reason's people like Hanako.
"I like Rin because she's similar to me but HOW DARE YOU SCUM LIKE HANAKO FOR THE SAME REASONS!" :roll:

People like Hanako because of her personality, shared experience, and/or shared interests. How the fuck are you getting angry at that? Those are basically the only reasons to actually like anybody. Would you feel better if nobody liked anybody?
If you bothered to read half the stuff I wrote than you would have realized that I have no problems with liking somebody for their personality. It's just that a lot of the comments here are basically "I like Hanako because I was bullied like Hanako" and nothing about her personality or even interest. I have yet to read somebody writing about their shared interests with Hanako. I'm pretty sure you don't need to know about somebodies past to like them. I don't think many people will like you if you go around and poke your nose into their past problems. Nor do I think you will get many friends if you can only like somebody due to their past problems.
You can like somebody for their personality or attitude but it's a bit wrong if you go around only befriending people who were bullied.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:it's a bit wrong if you go around only befriending people who were bullied.
That's why literally nobody on this planet does that. It's just some nonsense you invented and projected onto some people here or something.

"I like Hanako because I was bullied like Hanako" - That's a shared experience. It is completely valid to view someone favorably over shared experience. Hell, I've been drawn to people for nothing but that reason, then I found more that kept me there. That's how friendships work. You come for x, you stay for y. That's just like, math, man.

You're all super upset over people only making friends with bullied folk...Except that isn't happening anywhere. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

You can like somebody for their personality or attitude but it's a bit wrong if you go around only befriending people who were bullied.
Why? Do those people not deserve friends? Is it somehow wrong to want to be friends with somebody that doesn't have any other friends?
Not Dead Yet
brythain

Post by brythain »

Oddball wrote:
Why? Do those people not deserve friends? Is it somehow wrong to want to be friends with somebody that doesn't have any other friends?
I think what's really odd is if you go around ONLY befriending people who were bullied. It would already be odd if you went around befriending ONLY people who were bullied. For me, I'd befriend bullied people, but also other people, and I'd probably do other things as well...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Forever_ambivalent

Oddball wrote:
Because shunning off people who haven't been bullied and only sticking to people who have been bullied regardless of anything else (personality) isn't a very pleasant thought IMO. Nowadays a lot of these "Anti-bullying clubs" are full of angsty people who are hostile towards people who haven't been bullied. But this isn't the main reason.

The main reason is because people who do this are ignoring somebodies personality and character in favor for their troubles and problems. I thought most users here were against blindly liking somebody for their disability or problems (and therefore ignoring who they are) and were against White knighting. If you think white knighting is good well than I think you should go have a chat to the writer of Emi's path. Perhaps try Hanako's bad end again. If you think that judging people on their disibilities and problems is right as well than you should play Katawa Shoujo again.

Also first page of this thread is full of "I like Hanako because she was bullied and/or because she is vulnerable". Damn that sounds like the beginning to a lot of white knighting as well.
What does not having any friends have to do with bullying anyway? Are you seriously implying that people who have been bullied never have friends?
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Nowadays a lot of these "Anti-bullying clubs" are full of angsty people who are hostile towards people who haven't been bullied.
Where are these alleged clubs? Never seen one in my life. Certainly never one that persecuted the non-bullied.

Also, if you want to bitch and cry about how I'm "attacking" you and asking stupid questions just to piss you off - as if you're even that important, kindly do it in public because I don't want your inane drivel in my inbox. 'Kay? 'Kay. :mrgreen: