Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
ProfAllister
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by ProfAllister » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:40 am

Rin.

Not sure what it is, but she gets some major gut-punch lines. “Are you getting medications for your heart thingy?”“...yeah. They're for my heart.”“Will they make you better?”“...no, not really.”“They just make me a little less worse.”. And I guess I sort of sympathize with being metaphysically lost. Her arc also seems to give the highest highs and the lowest lows...

Also Misha. There are a ton of essays on her, and you probably don't need another one right now. Rest assured, it's more than drills and Wahahas.

Mutou. He comes off as somewhat uncertain about how to deal with people in basic social interactions, but then has these moments of letting on just how much he notices. Pay attention to that man's words. He's either phenomenally lucky in his personal lectures, or some sort of zen koan master. And it doesn't hurt that he resembles the doctor. :p
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754

User avatar
Politus
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:26 am

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Politus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:07 am

Definitely Emi. I think what clinched it was the scene, post-pillow-fight, where she just sort of falls asleep curled up against him, finding comfort in him when she wakes up from her nightmare. It hit me where my feels live. Something about her vivacity was what did it. She always seemed invincible, selfless, untiring - and then you realize that she really is this normal girl, with real problems and real issues, who despite the help she gives you sometimes needs help of her own. It was a two-way street, the way they leaned on each other for support whether they admitted it or not. It was fascinating and engaging.
"Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho." - anonymous French graffiti, May 1968.

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by ZXRN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:53 am

ProfAllister wrote:Rin.

Not sure what it is, but she gets some major gut-punch lines. “Are you getting medications for your heart thingy?”“...yeah. They're for my heart.”“Will they make you better?”“...no, not really.”“They just make me a little less worse.”. And I guess I sort of sympathize with being metaphysically lost. Her arc also seems to give the highest highs and the lowest lows...

Also Misha. There are a ton of essays on her, and you probably don't need another one right now. Rest assured, it's more than drills and Wahahas.

Mutou. He comes off as somewhat uncertain about how to deal with people in basic social interactions, but then has these moments of letting on just how much he notices. Pay attention to that man's words. He's either phenomenally lucky in his personal lectures, or some sort of zen koan master. And it doesn't hurt that he resembles the doctor. :p
Agreed about Rin and Mutou. Being kinda misunderstood like her does kinda hurt. And other than Hanako, she's definitely my 2nd. Her neutral ending was the only ending that gave me so much feels and confusion. Not only that, after I stopped playing for a while she's the only one who seems to pop into my head when I try to relax.

Mutou does seem to give off that worried about you feeling which is nice despite that your just his student. He really is kinda like a 2nd parent when he starts talking about something that your both interested in.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

User avatar
mysterycycle
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm
Location: Silent Hill, USA

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by mysterycycle » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 pm

metalangel wrote:
ArazelEternal wrote:
metalangel wrote: Consider most of the people playing this game. Here's a timid, submissive, shy girl rejected by almost everyone she knows. Just like them! But she's also their dream of a hot Japanese/anime babe, plus she's DAMAGED, see, so they can gallop in on their charger and claim to understand her and she'll be so happy to have someone finally open up to her that they'll totally make out on the spot.

Please don't generalize us like that. I found this very offensive, and if it wasn't for getting banned I would let you know in no uncertain terms just how offensive. I don't like her because she is damaged. I like her because she is shy and quiet. I like those types in general, and the fact that it is because she is damaged has nothing to do with it. My last girlfriend was the quiet, shy type but she wasn't damaged at all. She had a good home life and had nothing to complain about.

The reason I like Hanako is because she eventually gets over that extreme social aversion. If she never did, I would have been quite turned off to her. I wouldn't be a white knight for her because I wouldn't want anyone to take on that role for me. Id be there for her if she comes to me for the help. I wouldn't just force it on her, assuming that she needs it.
Being "damaged" is but one part of the reasons I gave. You can be shy and/or retiring for any number of reasons, a traumatic experience is not a prerequisite.

I'd hope that everyone who finishes her route learns just what you said, that you should be trying to get over your social aversion. The conspiratorial part of my mind wonders if that was part of the intention behind her story: to make her seem desirable to people who were after that sort of thing and show them.
To be fair, the question wasn't "which character do you like the most and why?" I didn't like Hanako because of her damage. I got attached to her quickly because she seemed really vulnerable, and seeing her kind of wilting in every social situation tugged on my heartstrings. That's not White Knighting, that's sympathy. My reasons for liking Hanako began with her being an attractive, mysterious brunette with an apparent love of reading and built as she opened up more to Hisao and I learned more about her. I admit that I do find introverted girls very attractive, but I really liked it when she got drunk and was more relaxed and expressive. Even though that might not have been the "real" Hanako speaking, it was nice to see her not being so afraid.

However, I would agree with you in your suspicions about the intentions behind Hanako's story.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by metalangel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Politus wrote:Definitely Emi. I think what clinched it was the scene, post-pillow-fight, where she just sort of falls asleep curled up against him, finding comfort in him when she wakes up from her nightmare. It hit me where my feels live. Something about her vivacity was what did it. She always seemed invincible, selfless, untiring - and then you realize that she really is this normal girl, with real problems and real issues, who despite the help she gives you sometimes needs help of her own. It was a two-way street, the way they leaned on each other for support whether they admitted it or not. It was fascinating and engaging.
Wow. That described it perfectly, thank you!

User avatar
Micijayah
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Micijayah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:34 pm

My most recent girlfriend was very similar to Lilly. Not only in looks (curly blond hair and blue eyes) but also the fact that she had to leave the country and go to Germany to possibly never be seen again...
I won't type out the whole story again, since it can be found in Hanako's Broken Heart Club.
Last edited by Micijayah on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image

In order of amount of feels felt :
Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune

The two people that I've fallen in love with in my life correspond with two characters in this VN, Lilly and Hanako. I got the bad endings though...both times...

User avatar
Pyramid Head
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Silent Hill

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Pyramid Head » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am

I got attached to Hanako because i also had... call it a dark childhood. I also became misanthropic as people i considered to be friends turned on a dime for a completely benign detail and i was picked on, had problems keeping friends since they expecting something from me that couldn't come out, and was so sick of people i began to find the floor tiles more engaging than my fellow man. I grew up eventually, found a few passions in life, and have some goals set, so don't worry, I haven't killed anyone.
...yet.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by ZXRN » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am

Pyramid Head wrote:I got attached to Hanako because i also had... call it a dark childhood. I also became misanthropic as people i considered to be friends turned on a dime for a completely benign detail and i was picked on, had problems keeping friends since they expecting something from me that couldn't come out, and was so sick of people i began to find the floor tiles more engaging than my fellow man. I grew up eventually, found a few passions in life, and have some goals set, so don't worry, I haven't killed anyone.
...yet.
I feel ya bro. Though probably not as painful as your past, but I did get a whole year and few months of them bullies (probably why I get pissed everytime I hear bullies or someone getting picked-on) . And I'm glad you found a new passion in there and possibly a few friends?.

It's sad to think but "assholes...they're everywhere". (just imagine the buzz lightyear meme!)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

User avatar
Thespian
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 am

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Thespian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 am

Pyramid Head wrote:I got attached to Hanako because i also had... call it a dark childhood. I also became misanthropic as people i considered to be friends turned on a dime for a completely benign detail and i was picked on, had problems keeping friends since they expecting something from me that couldn't come out, and was so sick of people i began to find the floor tiles more engaging than my fellow man. I grew up eventually, found a few passions in life, and have some goals set, so don't worry, I haven't killed anyone.
...yet.
I can also relate, not that I've had a bad childhood per se, but all the experiences I've had in my life where people either don't realize or don't care how their actions affect other people has left me expecting the worst of people. That's why Hanako's line that she just doesn't like people sounded so familiar to me. I balked a little at seeing how many people are changing their lives because of this game, thinking that I wouldn't go that far, but somehow I've been thinking of asking my best friend for a little help, something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. Weird huh.
It's sad to think but "assholes...they're everywhere". (just imagine the buzz lightyear meme!)
Yes, but why do there have to be so many?

Oh and to be on-topic again, for me it's Hanako and Rin. Rin's directness is just so refreshing and for some reason she just makes me smile.
Image

User avatar
Pyramid Head
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Silent Hill

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Pyramid Head » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 am

Thespian wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:I got attached to Hanako because i also had... call it a dark childhood. I also became misanthropic as people i considered to be friends turned on a dime for a completely benign detail and i was picked on, had problems keeping friends since they expecting something from me that couldn't come out, and was so sick of people i began to find the floor tiles more engaging than my fellow man. I grew up eventually, found a few passions in life, and have some goals set, so don't worry, I haven't killed anyone.
...yet.
I can also relate, not that I've had a bad childhood per se, but all the experiences I've had in my life where people either don't realize or don't care how their actions affect other people has left me expecting the worst of people. That's why Hanako's line that she just doesn't like people sounded so familiar to me. I balked a little at seeing how many people are changing their lives because of this game, thinking that I wouldn't go that far, but somehow I've been thinking of asking my best friend for a little help, something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. Weird huh.
It's sad to think but "assholes...they're everywhere". (just imagine the buzz lightyear meme!)
Yes, but why do there have to be so many?

Oh and to be on-topic again, for me it's Hanako and Rin. Rin's directness is just so refreshing and for some reason she just makes me smile.

Well one theory i have in regards to the prevalence of assholes in the human population is that George Carlin was right as far as humans go: a few winners a whole lot of losers. The losers are people who are close-minded, who pick on people who are different because they're too weak minded to understand and too cowardly to react in any way other than with passive aggressive tormenting or not so passive aggressive violence. Bullies and assholes are some of the most pitiful excuses for humans you can find, and there's a lot of them because there are also a lot of loser parents and guardians who let perverted ideas of morals or political beliefs keep them from properly educating the kids.
Or if nothing else the "They're just insecure" mentality is a fairly popular way for nerds to relieve themselves. There is some truth to it, but a simple reality is that human culture is still far from enlightened and the childhood tormentors are always going to exist, and some of them never grow up but still get success in life because of our perverted culture; with the best example i can think of being a homophobic bully growing up to be a presidential candidate.
...you know what? Never mind. Life is shit, and the dominate species of the planet is still stuck in the dark ages. You just learn to live it seeking out the good stuff and getting so used to disappointment you stop feeling it. But it's not all bad, even a negative asshole like me found Katawa Shoujo and extra special bitters at a microbrewery that also doubles as a restaurant that serves really good pizza and andouille sausage, so i'm sure you can find something worth living for. Always remember though, enjoy in moderation because if you get completely plastered you won't remember what it was you liked about the drink and you'll just be crawling to it like a person crawling to smack.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by ZXRN » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am

Pyramid Head wrote:
Thespian wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:I got attached to Hanako because i also had... call it a dark childhood. I also became misanthropic as people i considered to be friends turned on a dime for a completely benign detail and i was picked on, had problems keeping friends since they expecting something from me that couldn't come out, and was so sick of people i began to find the floor tiles more engaging than my fellow man. I grew up eventually, found a few passions in life, and have some goals set, so don't worry, I haven't killed anyone.
...yet.
I can also relate, not that I've had a bad childhood per se, but all the experiences I've had in my life where people either don't realize or don't care how their actions affect other people has left me expecting the worst of people. That's why Hanako's line that she just doesn't like people sounded so familiar to me. I balked a little at seeing how many people are changing their lives because of this game, thinking that I wouldn't go that far, but somehow I've been thinking of asking my best friend for a little help, something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. Weird huh.
It's sad to think but "assholes...they're everywhere". (just imagine the buzz lightyear meme!)
Yes, but why do there have to be so many?

Oh and to be on-topic again, for me it's Hanako and Rin. Rin's directness is just so refreshing and for some reason she just makes me smile.

Well one theory i have in regards to the prevalence of assholes in the human population is that George Carlin was right as far as humans go: a few winners a whole lot of losers. The losers are people who are close-minded, who pick on people who are different because they're too weak minded to understand and too cowardly to react in any way other than with passive aggressive tormenting or not so passive aggressive violence. Bullies and assholes are some of the most pitiful excuses for humans you can find, and there's a lot of them because there are also a lot of loser parents and guardians who let perverted ideas of morals or political beliefs keep them from properly educating the kids.
Or if nothing else the "They're just insecure" mentality is a fairly popular way for nerds to relieve themselves. There is some truth to it, but a simple reality is that human culture is still far from enlightened and the childhood tormentors are always going to exist, and some of them never grow up but still get success in life because of our perverted culture; with the best example i can think of being a homophobic bully growing up to be a presidential candidate.
...you know what? Never mind. Life is shit, and the dominate species of the planet is still stuck in the dark ages. You just learn to live it seeking out the good stuff and getting so used to disappointment you stop feeling it. But it's not all bad, even a negative asshole like me found Katawa Shoujo and extra special bitters at a microbrewery that also doubles as a restaurant that serves really good pizza and andouille sausage, so i'm sure you can find something worth living for. Always remember though, enjoy in moderation because if you get completely plastered you won't remember what it was you liked about the drink and you'll just be crawling to it like a person crawling to smack.
True that mate. Still kinda sad though. Coz of those people, I gotta say and I ain't gonna lie that I turned into an a-hole myself...I mean, this is probably why I like the idea of revenge so much that if I even see them suffer, happiness in my heart lolz. (dang, I'm sick.)

But yeah, all you said is true and even though this is a shitty place filled with shitty people, there are still some things out there you can find that's nice. (like big grass fields and the sky!...And unlimited pizza in Papa John's restaurant for 199P booya!)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

rydiafan
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by rydiafan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:48 pm

I think if you need a ks character to change what your life ... the get serious help ( don't take it as an insult )

What gonna happen is the lines between fantasy and reality and gonna be gone in a persons life ( sorta like a porn attic addition ... in his mind real sex with a real person will never be good enough like watching Sasha gray have sex on a movie )

what will happen is no real person will be as good as Hanako , Lilly and so on and you might miss out on a good thing because she is not enough like Hanako

and for the love of christ ... don't be offended because someone doesn't agree with you ... if your not mature enough to play this without getting offended ....DON'T PLAY IT

User avatar
dwarduk
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by dwarduk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:18 pm

rydiafan wrote:I think if you need a ks character to change what your life ... the get serious help ( don't take it as an insult )

What gonna happen is the lines between fantasy and reality and gonna be gone in a persons life ( sorta like a porn attic addition ... in his mind real sex with a real person will never be good enough like watching Sasha gray have sex on a movie )

what will happen is no real person will be as good as Hanako , Lilly and so on and you might miss out on a good thing because she is not enough like Hanako

and for the love of christ ... don't be offended because someone doesn't agree with you ... if your not mature enough to play this without getting offended ....DON'T PLAY IT
We (or at least, I) don't "need" the KS character to change my life, it merely helped me find a different perspective on my own life. Even people addicted to the stereotypical "ban all the violent games ruining the next generation!" type games do not generally lose their grasp on reality, having it in addition to their normal life, although the time split between them can be worrying (I know :lol: )

I guess what I'm saying is that things can be inspiring without infringing on a healthy, sane person's understanding of reality. If you're saying this through first hand experience, I apologise, and I hope your therapy is going well.
Image
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>

User avatar
ravenlord
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: usa

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by ravenlord » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm

rydiafan wrote:I think if you need a ks character to change what your life ... the get serious help ( don't take it as an insult )

What gonna happen is the lines between fantasy and reality and gonna be gone in a persons life ( sorta like a porn attic addition ... in his mind real sex with a real person will never be good enough like watching Sasha gray have sex on a movie )

what will happen is no real person will be as good as Hanako , Lilly and so on and you might miss out on a good thing because she is not enough like Hanako

and for the love of christ ... don't be offended because someone doesn't agree with you ... if your not mature enough to play this without getting offended ....DON'T PLAY IT
People gain inspiration from fictional characters all of the time. The material in comics and movies and books and televsion is probably 90% fiction based.

And the 10% of non-fictional "characters"? Most of their life is fiction as well, as far as they deal with the public. In fact the more that they reveal, the less the public usually likes it :P

Very rarely one will find a mentor or friend that they know 100% of the truth about.

Bottom line is that it does not matter were your inspiration comes from. What matters is what you do with that inspiration.

And there is no solid line between fantasy and reality . What there is, is perception. And in this world, perception IS reality ;)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
Image
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb

rydiafan
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by rydiafan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:24 pm

dwarduk wrote:
rydiafan wrote:I think if you need a ks character to change what your life ... the get serious help ( don't take it as an insult )


We (or at least, I) don't "need" the KS character to change my life, it merely helped me find a different perspective on my own life. Even people addicted to the stereotypical "ban all the violent games ruining the next generation!" type games do not generally lose their grasp on reality, having it in addition to their normal life, although the time split between them can be worrying (I know :lol: )

I guess what I'm saying is that things can be inspiring without infringing on a healthy, sane person's understanding of reality. If you're saying this through first hand experience, I apologise, and I hope your therapy is going well.
Im not in Therapy ( there was a time or two i could of use it in my life of course ) but im pretty healthy mentally and emotionally right now ... but again and again i hear the same thing " i get inspiration from hanako , emi and so on " ... and in my 32 years on earth a fictional character , place , or story never inspired anything good or bad ( i also dont believe that violent game cause ppl to kill ) ... i heard ppl say so and so inspired me to do this but where is the proof ... hanako WON'T inspire anyone to be a better person as much as you say she will ...

Emi doesn't inspire me to exercise , Shizune doesn't Inspire me to be more responsible ,lilly doesn't Inspire me to be more caring ... I am who i am because of my own fuck ups in life and learning from them , my loyal friends , my family and wanting to be a better person , I play KS because its a game plan and simple .... most people are treating KS like a life couch

Now excuse me well i get inspired on how to respect a woman from watching hentai / porn

Post Reply