Does KS really cause Manly Tears

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Total Destruction

Re: Does KS really cause Manly Tears

Post by Total Destruction »

I did break down a bit after Emi's bad end due to the extreme similarity of something that happened to me but was never properly dealt with.

Didn't go all BAWWWWWWWWWW for much else.
... Danger.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

It did for me. I cried at least once on every path. Going back to watch specific scenes, I still tear up.

I'm like an Aztec warrior that way.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

The only 'manly tears' I shed is after I completed all the routes.

It went first with 'WTF do I do now' and 'it's all over now'.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

I have to ask... WTF are manly tears? Tears are tears. There are no manly, womanly, childish, etc tears. Yes, I shed tears when I played KS. Im not going to try and make my self feel better, more manly, masculine, wtf ever you want to call it by calling them manly tears. They were tears. Thats all they were. I dont know why that irritates me so much, but it does.

Anyway, yes it does cause tears. It was to the point for me where I was on the edge of sobbing at times, and I am not afraid to admit that.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

No, he was caused by an accident involving some broken rubber.

Thank you all, I'll be here all week.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

ArazelEternal wrote:I have to ask... WTF are manly tears?
Usually involving tears without sobbing (ie. silent weeping):

Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

ravenlord wrote:
Usually involving tears without sobbing (ie. silent weeping):
I see. Then why not just call it that? Silent weeping or silent tears?

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

ArazelEternal wrote:I have to ask... WTF are manly tears? Tears are tears. There are no manly, womanly, childish, etc tears. Yes, I shed tears when I played KS. Im not going to try and make my self feel better, more manly, masculine, wtf ever you want to call it by calling them manly tears. They were tears. Thats all they were. I dont know why that irritates me so much, but it does.
I think that's actually supposed to be part of the joke: poking fun at the people who would call it unmanly to cry. Then again, I'm not really one to talk, seeing as I didn't cry at this game. Nor at Grave of the Fireflies, nor the ending of AIR. I just have no soul like that :D

But I know people who did, and I don't hold it against them. This game is really something else.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

I shed a single tear at the 100% mark.

I cried for myself.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Manly tears are the ones you, as a man, try to choke back upon encountering something so emotionally stunning that it manages to touch your stone-cast heart and force your ashen countenance to drip with undesired wetness. It usually takes something exceedingly tragic, beautiful, or downright awe-inspiring to yank manly tears out of a manly man. Common causes include your favorite team winning the championship, the sight of your first child, or the last scene in Field Of Dreams.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

So tears were spilt at the endings, at key scenes which reminded you of some of your personal experiences, and at finishing a route/the whole game?
$50 says I live more South than all of you

Post by Guest »

I cried at least once in every route but Shizune's, and Rin's got me several times.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Maybe it's a lot of years of emotional dulling, but I couldn't actually cry during the course of the events. I can't go on a spiel about how I've had a "very hard life", because that would be a dramatic overstatement, considering children in Africa are dying of starvation. But life has put me in a lot of moments where being emotional just wasn't an option and it's embedded itself in my subconsciousness to the point where releasing the floodgates just seems impossible.

However, the game did make me feel. And I mean feel. Not necessarily sadness. I've actually never understood why so many people associate Katawa Shoujo with sadness. True, the novel does have a lot of traumatic moments that make you swallow a clump, but those are just parts of a whole. The entire graphic novel gives you an expansive spectrum of emotions, so expansive that I can't cover all of them in a single message board post. As another poster before me said, it's an emotional rollercoaster. Each arc provokes a wide array of emotions in its unique way. So while the game didn't make me cry, it made me, in a way, feel very alive and aware of a lot of things.

The saddest thing, for me, about the novel wasn't exactly the arcs themselves, but the aftermath of them.
Namely how a bunch of fictional characters in a graphic novel made me feel emotions that felt more real than anything anyone in my life has ever made me feel.

Post by Guest »

No. Men just sweat through their eyes. :roll:

(Hanako's good end)
I'm not crying....I-I'm just....y'know...I've been...*sniff*...working...out....*sniff*...a lot.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Guest wrote:No. Men just sweat through their eyes. :roll:

(Hanako's good end)
I'm not crying....I-I'm just....y'know...I've been...*sniff*...working...out....*sniff*...a lot.
All of this testosterone is making my eyes water.