Does KS really cause Manly Tears

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

inquisitivenegro

Does KS really cause Manly Tears

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Feels, certainly, all the main characters have at least one attribute that allows us to empathise with them. But at no point on any route did I even come close to crying, and im sure we must be the majority, its just that we dont express ourselves as often. But I digress! Is Katawa really manly tears material or is this an exaggeration?

Really important to know becaues I'm thinking of suggesting it to a friend and since he/she is a fairly emotional person I'mn hoping the tears will overcome the prejudice. Please if you think you're an outlier say so! "manly tears" is waay too overused imo - I will never forget the one youtuber who said "I'm a tough guy who's never been accused of being a wimp in my life, but I cried manly tears while watching Clannad"
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Tyr.

Re: Does KS really cause Manly Tears

Post by Tyr. »

I don't consider myself a 'tough' guy but I honestly did not cry going through all the story lines. I could feel the sad parts though. I thought the movie Click was sadder/more of an emotional roller coaster. (Didn't cry there either.)
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Tyr. wrote:I don't consider myself a 'tough' guy but I honestly did not cry going through all the story lines. I could feel the sad parts though. I thought the movie Click was sadder/more of an emotional roller coaster. (Didn't cry there either.)
The Adam Sandler one? Really? I just found it good comedy. Maybe because as I don't yet have a family I coudn't empathise with him? But I digress. So that makes 2 average people not being brought down to tears
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Tyr.

Post by Tyr. »

inquisitivenegro wrote:
Tyr. wrote:I don't consider myself a 'tough' guy but I honestly did not cry going through all the story lines. I could feel the sad parts though. I thought the movie Click was sadder/more of an emotional roller coaster. (Didn't cry there either.)
The Adam Sandler one? Really? I just found it good comedy. Maybe because as I don't yet have a family I coudn't empathise with him? But I digress. So that makes 2 average people not being brought down to tears
Yeah, overarching it was a good comedy but it was devious in slipping in the sad part with the "Family comes first" scene near the end.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I didn't cry during the game.

I cried after.
Episcia

Post by Episcia »

Helbereth wrote:I didn't cry during the game.

I cried after.
This. The full impact of what I just read and witnessed came to me while the credits rolled through.

I cried, of course. Not so manly tears, but tears nonetheless.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

There was this tiny bit on Rin's neutral ending (just made my eyes a little teary). Other than that none of them really made me sad enough to do so.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Got the feels, but not a single tear was shed.
I'm not really the crying sort.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

I had tears falling a few times during Hanako's path. And then a lot afterwards, whenever listening to KS OST songs associated with key scenes with her.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Bathunter07

Post by Bathunter07 »

I really cried after Rin's good ending (Tears of happiness) and once during Hanako's route. Odd for me, because I never cry for a piece of fiction. Just further proof that this visual novel is an absolute masterpiece. If I can ever get close to causing that kind of feelings with one of my stories, I known that I had succeeded as an author.
My OC: Lucius something something. Him in a nutshell.
“And then, genius happened. And by genius, I meant that I had set myself on fire again. Where is that damned fire extinguisher?”
“Do you the difference between me and a rocket scientist? A rocket scientist has a bigger budget. And protective gear.”
yummines

Post by yummines »

not for me. im not a manly man myself, but im not prone to crying from movies or games. the only ones to do so are

Tae Guk Gi, Grave of the Fireflies, Mother 3, Toradora! (i just put in music as to not provide spoilers), and Yume Nikki
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

I never cry for a game or movie... But Hanakos good ending was too much QQ. And after the game... I cryed notsomanlytears.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

yummines wrote:not for me. im not a manly man myself, but im not prone to crying from movies or games.
Nor am I. The last time I cried over any kinda of media was at the end of Donnie Darkko - and that was 8 years ago. Before that, I couldn't even begin to fathom.
Last edited by Helbereth on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Its was that one damn scene in the wheat field, that a single man tear escaped.
Evenstar

Post by Evenstar »

I am proud acknowledging Manly Tears on a regular basis but that's because I'm an old-fashioned guy. Each good ending got me a little wound up but Emi and Lilly needed lots of tissues before I could see properly. When I got the bad Shizune ending, I was shouting & sobbing so much that I needed to find the good ending so I could calm down. I'm still nervous about finding any other bad endings but I'm working on a way around that....

<confession>
After playing a couple of paths, I realized that I really liked this sort of thing. I'd had several episodes of Manly Tears watching Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist and House of Five Leaves. Having crossed that line, I finally found such gems as Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Figure 17. However, from what I've read, I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch 5 Centimeters Per Second.
</confession>
KS Standard: Shizune> Hanako> Emi> Lilly> Rin
KS Alternate: Sae> Yuuko> Meiko> Akira