Proper Reaction to a Negative Reception

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Out-All Knight

Proper Reaction to a Negative Reception

Post by Out-All Knight »

I read a review about KS that in my opinion is negative, almost making me signing in to site and defending the game but ultimately decided to respect the review despite making me start a flame.

Now I have bottled feelings of annoyance and thought to release it by making this post and looking
for feedback.

Was it good idea to not flame? And also what do ya make of the review?
Jphinano.wordpress.com
Enemy |

Re: Proper Reaction to a Negative Reception

Post by Enemy | »

Out-All Knight wrote:Was it good idea to not flame?
Yes
And also what do ya make of the review?
Jphinano.wordpress.com
His opinion. Wasn't that bad of a review either.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

I got a certificate warning error when I tried to go to that site. So I am not going to look at it.

And honestly, Critical Reception for KS is so positive, that I don't really care about the few people who don't understand it. There are so many positive sites and reviews that I just enjoy and focus on those. KS won't please 100% of the people, so just spare a moment of pity for the poor saps who missed out on its greatness, and move on :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Out-All Knight wrote:
Was it good idea to not flame?
Yes. Respecting that other people are entitled to their opinions - no matter how ill informed or misguided - is good. It's really hard to try and educate people otherwise without sounding preachy, especially if they don't broach the subject with you first.
Out-All Knight

Post by Out-All Knight »

*whew*
Thanks everyone, now my mind is clear.
Edit: By the time I reached the crititism of the supposed negatives of the review, I thought it was a bad sign and stopped reading, then I read the review to the fullest.
Not a bad review even though I don't agree with some of the points made.
Revvy

Post by Revvy »

It's always best to respect other people's opinions even if you disagree with them, they have their right to voice their opinions just like any other human.
So...Revvy enjoys lemon lube then? -Xanatos
(Yes I Do.)
Currently Reading: Scissorlips' Suzu Route.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Here is another approach, one that I am using more often :)

Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

There's a few good options.

You can gather up a mob with torches and pitchforks and chase the guy out of town.

You could dedicate every waking moment of your life to revenge on the person.

You post a well written and polite rebuttal stating your own thoughts and opinions on the matter as well as why you think the original poster was ill informed and do it with style, class, and without insulting the person or their tastes.

Or you could ignore it.

If you decide to go with the torches and pitchforks method, let me know. I'll help.
Not Dead Yet
DLMicheru

Post by DLMicheru »

Oddball wrote:There's a few good options.

You can gather up a mob with torches and pitchforks and chase the guy out of town.

If you decide to go with the torches and pitchforks method, let me know. I'll help.
Count me in as well :P

I know all too well it's hard to deal with people who are voicing negative opinions on something, it's basically the story of my life (I'm christian).

My advice: Calm down and clear your mind, think of the (reasonable) arguments for your own opinion and voice/write them in a calm and mature way.
Roses are red,
My name is Dave. My real name is Michel, not Dave
This poem makes no sense.
Microwave.

Lilly=Hanako>Emi>Rin=Shizune/Misha
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Think of it from the other perspective: Web 2.0 (such as it is) means that now every mouthbreather can leave comments on almost everything you post telling you why you're wrong. Have you got a Youtube account? I dread to think what some of the people who've left comments on my stuff are like in real life.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Oddball wrote:There's a few good options.

You could dedicate every waking moment of your life to revenge on the person.

You post a well written and polite rebuttal stating your own thoughts and opinions on the matter as well as why you think the original poster was ill informed and do it with style, class, and without insulting the person or their tastes.

Or you could ignore it.

Woah, woah, WOAH!

Why torches and pitchforks?

...we have shotguns with flashlights, right?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Megumeru wrote: Woah, woah, WOAH!

Does tradition mean nothing to you!?! :shock: :evil:
Not Dead Yet
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

When reading something you dont agree, remember the dude.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!

Post by Guest »

There actually was someone who made a large blog post in response to someone's negative review of KS, and then posted a topic on here linking to the blog post and to the review.

Personally, I didn't like the review, either - not for not liking the game, that was whatever, but because almost every line of it was colored by the reviewer's apparent hate for simple reading... the reviewer even went so far as to say that after the first hour of the game he just started skimming, really, and then started comparing it unfavorably to video games and comic books, as they show more and allow more interaction, or whatever. Over half the article was basically "I hate clicking" or "this is a bad video game", etc.
(At least, that's how it seemed to me.)

It actually ended up with the reviewer coming onto these forums to try and explain that his review wasn't just of KS but was of the whole medium of visual novels, and that the blog post calling him out by name (which I never did read) was ... well over the top over a simple review. And three KS devs also commented that the blog post was out of hand before it was locked by one of 'em.

... Basically, it started fairly bad, got worse.

I expressed my (rather negative) opinion of the review on that topic, and still stand by what I say (even though I do feel slightly ashamed of it after the fact), but - going out of your way to attack someone's review, and then boasting about it, is probably not a very nice thing to do. And the devs do not like that kind of reaction to their creation.

As I said in that topic, as many others said in that topic, and as has been said here - just ignore it. People will write and say things you don't like all the time. There's not a lot wrong with talking to others about something you don't like, but outright attacking others for their opinions - even if their opinions are, in your eyes, poorly worded and completely uneducated - doesn't do anyone any good.

And at the end of the day, you'll forget about that thing you hated much faster if you don't get in a fight about it.

So, yes. By doing nothing, you did right.

Post by Guest »

Oddball wrote:
Megumeru wrote: Woah, woah, WOAH!
Does tradition mean nothing to you!?! :shock: :evil:
"Oh, a bunch of people with torches and pitchforks? Let's break out the shotguns and flashlights. Oh, look, the fallen torches are alighting the ground under their feet."

Practicality > Tradition