Proper Reaction to a Negative Reception

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tomate

Re: Proper Reaction to a Negative Reception

Post by Tomate »

Flashlights are not practical for a angry mob, you cant start a fire with a flashlight. On the other hand, shotguns are very practical indeed.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Xiious

Post by Xiious »

Guest wrote:
Oddball wrote:
Megumeru wrote: Woah, woah, WOAH!
Why torches and pitchforks?
Does tradition mean nothing to you!?! :shock: :evil:
"Oh, a bunch of people with torches and pitchforks? Let's break out the shotguns and flashlights. Oh, look, the fallen torches are alighting the ground under their feet."

Practicality > Tradition
*people with torches and pitchforks break out the assault rifles and night vision goggles*
Xiious

Post by Xiious »

As to not de-rail the topic, however, I've read almost every review there is about KS on-line. I've never wanted to flame any of them, simply because I'm not that kind of person. To each his own, is my motto about haters.

Personally, some points that some reviews make are not made without merit, but really it's biased with personal opinions. Critical reviewers tend to put aside most biased opinions, and thus are more based on actual reception.

And really, I love reading reviews from biased people, gives me a laugh to think what they are missing out on. xD
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Oddball wrote: Does tradition mean nothing to you!?! :shock: :evil:
Ok. Tradition?

If shotgun isn't traditional enough, how about...

AK-47 FOR EVERYOOOOOONE!!!!

angry mob upgrade *hinthint*
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Guest wrote:...going out of your way to attack someone's review, and then boasting about it, is probably not a very nice thing to do.
I recall that topic, though I guess that's not terribly impressive since it was not very long ago.

I agree that it's pretty much always better to just let it be. People will hate, no matter what the content. I recently had a YouTube video posted about a Magic: the Gathering deck I built, and even though it's received tons of positive feedback it's gotten a share of negative feedback as well. Not just against the deck itself, but against me. Did I get upset / mad? Hell no. Life's too short to get bent out of shape over haters, and as the ancient idiom goes, "haters gonna hate." No matter what the subject is, there will always, always, ALWAYS be people who do not like it. The fewer there are, the louder their voices will be. It's just natural - they're forced to go all-out due to the overwhelmingly lopsided scale of people who like said thing vs. people who do not.

In short, don't bother. It's not worth your time.

However, I sort of disagree with the final post that was made in the topic that was closed, that Guest was talking about. Whoever the dev was that locked it down mentioned himself and the other devs being "disappointed" that they even made the game, due to the reaction of fans. A little overboard, in my opinion. Hating is intrinsic to the internet, no matter what the subject is. It should be expected, if not condoned, that fans will have the propensity to be stupid, especially given the fervor some fans show towards KS. Wanting to take back a monumental achievement due to simple flaming and internet hating is a bit much.

Having said that, it's at least a lesson to be learned. The devs pay attention to this stuff, and your actions may reflect back to them. Are you interested in seeing more content from people who developed within 4LS? If so, do not disappoint them. Act mature, act like you give a damn about the advancement of the community, and act like you want more quality work.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"

Post by Guest »

I'd reread that post. Silentcook said that those devs had all agreed that the thread shouldn't exist, not KS itself.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

... You sure? I drew what I said from it, contextually at least.

Well, some of the point still stands either way.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Gandara wrote:... You sure? I drew what I said from it, contextually at least.
Yeah the Devs meant the thread, not the game itself.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

ravenlord wrote:Yeah the Devs meant the thread, not the game itself.
*shrug* - guess I'll take your word for it, then.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
yummines

Post by yummines »

You cant please everybody.

Sure i want to brutally torture anyone who says Zelda: Wind Waker is bad but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I recall a Picasso quote: "Ah good taste. What a dreadfull thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."

So i wont bash anyone for having a different opinion.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Deal with it.O
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Pic related
Attachments
1275848303962.jpg
1275848303962.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Don't try to keep haters from hating, it's the one emotion they get to feel all day.

Of course, we have to be careful ourselves. The internet has allowed outlying fetishes to change from being blind spots in society's perceptions of sexuality to being the perpetual whipping boy of people with really toxic emotions that they don't know how to handle. People who stick to those communities (would you call them adherents of a fetish?) can be just as inwardly toxic when they get up in arms and identify too much with their outsider status, like that one dickbag who made that really long post and then asked us to boost his numbers.

It's an unpleasant topic and I was hoping this thread was going to be about forming 'canon' responses to common criticisms of the game, but I guess not.

Maybe we can talk about particularly ridiculous criticisms of KS?

Let's see; "Cripple-fucking simulator." Yeah, that one was pretty funny. My mental image of that one is some kind of really serious simulation with a psychotic level of detail controlled by dozens of slider-based menus. You could determine how much of a limb is amputated, to what degree their vision is impaired, whether or not they have fine motor control, etc, along thousand-point scales that can be manipulated by hotkeys mid-simulated-coitus. It would be a wonder if you had a hand available for fapping.

Dunno, I just thought it was both ignorant AND hilarious, as opposed to just the usual former.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Bathunter07

Post by Bathunter07 »

I ignore most comments of negatively towards Katawa Shoujo. I can understand why people may not like it. Most of the time, I heard it being boring as the main reason why. I get it. I feel that the game could play out its conflict a bit more in some of its routes. But, for us, it not just about conflicts. It's the characters. We find them interesting and want to talk and expand on them. But for many people, that isn't what they want.

And I see no reason why to get bothered by it.
My OC: Lucius something something. Him in a nutshell.
“And then, genius happened. And by genius, I meant that I had set myself on fire again. Where is that damned fire extinguisher?”
“Do you the difference between me and a rocket scientist? A rocket scientist has a bigger budget. And protective gear.”
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

To people who don't already like this particular game, defending it without looking incredibly creepy is probably an impossible task, and therefore only makes the game look worse. As such, flaming is probably a very bad idea. This is the kind of thing that has to be allowed to speak for itself.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.