Bashing a KS basher.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
TheHivemind
Path Writer
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by TheHivemind » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey guys, in the future do me and the rest of the staff a favor and don't go out bashing folk who don't like the game.

For the record, I agree with some of Walker's complaints. It is pretty poorly written in spots, and the pacing is pretty spotty. Y'all like it, and that's cool, but Walker didn't, and that is also cool. Make your defenses of the game if you want, but every time I read a post calling Walker an asshole or reducing it to a strawman argument, I die a little inside.

rydiafan
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by rydiafan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Guest wrote:
People would respect his opinion on KS if it wasn't "man, this is a boring video game" and "I DON'T WANT HAS TO CLICK" repeated fifteen times, with the closest thing to valid criticism being "I don't like how Emi looks so young". (Personally I don't connect Emi, or anyone else in KS, with looking anything like an underage teenager in real life, or even any person at all in real life, but hey, I guess I can see where it comes from.)
But the OP is doing nothing but having a link to his blog ... the op doesn't have any valid points ... just trying to gain fame by trolling a reviewer ... how sad

Dan_The_Writer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Dan_The_Writer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 pm

TheHivemind wrote:Hey guys, in the future do me and the rest of the staff a favor and don't go out bashing folk who don't like the game.

For the record, I agree with some of Walker's complaints. It is pretty poorly written in spots, and the pacing is pretty spotty. Y'all like it, and that's cool, but Walker didn't, and that is also cool. Make your defenses of the game if you want, but every time I read a post calling Walker an asshole or reducing it to a strawman argument, I die a little inside.
Are you serious? Come on. My article isn't me blindly bashing John Walker, It's me giving valid criticisms (something which he didn't do) about his article. It's not because he doesn't like the game, It's because he works for such a big website and writes the most God awful first impressions. I thought that a path writer, of all people, would see this. That is my response to people telling me that I shouldn't hate someone who doesn't like KS. My whole Blog is built from the ground up on opinions and bias, I'll be the first person to admit that.

So please, don't try to bring me down by telling me that I'm blindly bashing John Walker, because I'm not. It's obvious, I thought, his article is awfully written and poorly executed.

Good day.

But the OP is doing nothing but having a link to his blog ... the op doesn't have any valid points ... just trying to gain fame by trolling a reviewer ... how sad
Really? Is this a serious message? I write articles because I love writing. It's what I do. I want to be a journalist much like John Walker, I'm not afraid to admit that. I admit that I wrote this article to gain a little popularity, is there really any shame in that? I think there are bigger things of notice than me writing an article.

*looks up in the dictionary for troll* Nope... this isn't trolling... sad, maybe, but definitely not trolling

ALSO the link is to the SPECIFIC ARTICLE. If I was being really sinister, I'd link everyone to my blog homepage. Owned.

User avatar
Snow_Storm
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 pm
Location: Saint Louis

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Snow_Storm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Dan_The_Writer wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:Hey guys, in the future do me and the rest of the staff a favor and don't go out bashing folk who don't like the game.

For the record, I agree with some of Walker's complaints. It is pretty poorly written in spots, and the pacing is pretty spotty. Y'all like it, and that's cool, but Walker didn't, and that is also cool. Make your defenses of the game if you want, but every time I read a post calling Walker an asshole or reducing it to a strawman argument, I die a little inside.
Are you serious? Come on. My article isn't me blindly bashing John Walker, It's me giving valid criticisms (something which he didn't do) about his article. It's not because he doesn't like the game, It's because he works for such a big website and writes the most God awful first impressions. I thought that a path writer, of all people, would see this. That is my response to people telling me that I shouldn't hate someone who doesn't like KS. My whole Blog is built from the ground up on opinions and bias, I'll be the first person to admit that.

So please, don't try to bring me down by telling me that I'm blindly bashing John Walker, because I'm not. It's obvious, I thought, his article is awfully written and poorly executed.

Good day.
Bro, if one of the devs of the game is telling you to stop your shit and fuck off, you know it's gotten pretty bad. Seriously, if the devs and creators of KS don't give a fuck if people give their games a bad review, then why are you?

User avatar
Anonymous22
sounds kinda gay
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Anonymous22 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Hey guys, someone doesn't like this video game I like and wrote some mean shit about it. Instead of leaving him alone to have his opinion, I will write a huge essay about why he is wrong and stupid and post it to my personal blog, then roundly invite everyone to mock him. Because this is totally what reasonable people do and it is the right way to deal with disagreements.
hurr durr

Dan_The_Writer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Dan_The_Writer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Anonymous22 wrote:Hey guys, someone doesn't like this video game I like and wrote some mean shit about it. Instead of leaving him alone to have his opinion, I will write a huge essay about why he is wrong and stupid and post it to my personal blog, then roundly invite everyone to mock him. Because this is totally what reasonable people do and it is the right way to deal with disagreements.
You're the worst kind of troll.

Dan_The_Writer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Dan_The_Writer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Snow_Storm wrote:
Dan_The_Writer wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:Hey guys, in the future do me and the rest of the staff a favor and don't go out bashing folk who don't like the game.

For the record, I agree with some of Walker's complaints. It is pretty poorly written in spots, and the pacing is pretty spotty. Y'all like it, and that's cool, but Walker didn't, and that is also cool. Make your defenses of the game if you want, but every time I read a post calling Walker an asshole or reducing it to a strawman argument, I die a little inside.
Are you serious? Come on. My article isn't me blindly bashing John Walker, It's me giving valid criticisms (something which he didn't do) about his article. It's not because he doesn't like the game, It's because he works for such a big website and writes the most God awful first impressions. I thought that a path writer, of all people, would see this. That is my response to people telling me that I shouldn't hate someone who doesn't like KS. My whole Blog is built from the ground up on opinions and bias, I'll be the first person to admit that.

So please, don't try to bring me down by telling me that I'm blindly bashing John Walker, because I'm not. It's obvious, I thought, his article is awfully written and poorly executed.

Good day.
Bro, if one of the devs of the game is telling you to stop your shit and fuck off, you know it's gotten pretty bad. Seriously, if the devs and creators of KS don't give a fuck if people give their games a bad review, then why are you?

It's not a review, It's a first impressions. And if you're going to pussy out after the big man gives you the finger, then you should probably not talk about subjects such as this. A "dev" is no one to be afraid of, he/she is a person exactly like you or me. I respect 4LS, and I was literally JUST saying how my article isn't designed in ANY way to slander or insult John Walker as a person, it was to slander the premise of writing an article for such a big website as RPS and not putting any thought, design or care into it.

How many times will I have to type this out :cry:

And you're honestly, HONESTLY going to tell me that just because someone else doesn't care that means that I shouldn't too? What is wrong with you?

User avatar
encrypted12345
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by encrypted12345 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Fanbases will always be fanbases.

In any case, a lot of people just don't like visual novels, and as a fan of a niche within a niche within a niche medium (For the record, I am grateful to Katawa Shoujo for removing one layer of nichiness), I've learned to accept that. The same goes for the Slice-of-Life genre as a whole. So what if some guy doesn't like reading about people living out their daily lives or thinks that the giant wall of text is dry? I like KS. And that's what ultimately matters. There's no need to hate on someone because you despise his opinion. I've seen troll reviews, and this isn't one. He just wasn't the type of person to enjoy this visual novel.
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan_The_Writer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Dan_The_Writer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm

encrypted12345 wrote:Fanbases will always be fanbases.

In any case, a lot of people just don't like visual novels, and as a fan of a niche within a niche within a niche medium (For the record, I am grateful to Katawa Shoujo for removing one layer of nichiness), I've learned to accept that. The same goes for the Slice-of-Life genre as a whole. So what if some guy doesn't like reading about people living out their daily lives or thinks that the giant wall of text is dry? I don't. And that's what ultimately matters. There's no need to hate on someone because you despise his opinion. I've seen troll reviews, and this isn't one. He just wasn't the type of person to enjoy this visual novel.
Oh for fuc- thank you for your kind words about me not being a troll ( I think ) but once again, you're missing the premise of the article. I'll link you to something I wrote quickly: http://dansabstractgaming.blogspot.co.u ... -john.html

:(

User avatar
encrypted12345
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by encrypted12345 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 pm

I know you're (probably) not a troll, and I did skim your criticism through. But you're getting WAY too emotional about this. Calm down, man.

Go to the forum top page and look at the caption at the top.
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan_The_Writer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Dan_The_Writer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:55 pm

encrypted12345 wrote:I know you're (probably) not a troll and I did skim that through. But you're getting WAY too emotional about this. Calm down, man.
Can't blame me when I get dozens of hate mail telling me how John Walker's opinion is his own or how I shouldn't care or how I'm a troll. It gets to me, yaknow?

:roll:

User avatar
WorldlyWiseman
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by WorldlyWiseman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:27 am

Dan_The_Writer wrote:
Can't blame me when I get dozens of hate mail telling me how John Walker's opinion is his own or how I shouldn't care or how I'm a troll. It gets to me, yaknow?

:roll:
Sigh

You're a prick.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.

User avatar
Snow_Storm
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 pm
Location: Saint Louis

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Snow_Storm » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 am

Dear Lord in Heaven,

Please let John Walker put this idiot butthurt fanboy on blast (without linking to his blog, of course) and embarrassing him further than he's already embarrassing himself.

Thank you based god.

Morph
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by Morph » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:12 am

Can't believe I actually took the time to read both the review and your opinion about that, but now that I have done that I might say what I think as well.

To me it was obvious that the review was only done to stop people asking for it. The way he talks about how he just skimmed through the story shows that he didn't invest much time and effort into it and just wanted to get it over with.
Another thing are the expectations of KS. He seems to see it as a game like any other video-game and therefore it's no surprise he is disappointed. And his article shows this in form of his criticism towards the medium itself.
Furthermore it seems that he has no experience with VNs which qualifies him as much to do a review about that as a reviewer of novels is about reviewing video-games.

I wonder why the OP bothered to write such a long (and obviously emotional written) article, though. I agree that a reviewer should take his time and value something as that what it is, but if he doesn't he won't get the credit for a good job and people will just ignore his opinion (if they know he screwed up). It's a problem that should solve itself without investing ones emotions and time.

User avatar
ZXRN
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Bashing a KS basher.

Post by ZXRN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:12 am

BionicKraken wrote:The easiest way to deal with these kinds of people online is to . . . well, you know. Ignore it.
I'm just gonna agree with Bionic Kraken here...I still thing that Walker guy's an asshole but let's just ignore him so this'll stop XD
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.

Locked