When introducing this game to somebody, how do you start

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pseudogenesis

Re: When introducing this game to somebody, how do you start

Post by Pseudogenesis »

True, but the only one I can think of is simply not telling them about the sex scenes. I still don't know how they'd react though.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
krosswerks

Post by krosswerks »

I've got about a dozen real life acquaintances into Katawa, I feel fairly qualified ;D

People are saying to avoid the fact that there's sex in the game, but I never have and I don't think you should. You should tell them the facts: there are a handful of sex scenes, and they can be turned off. They're not so central to the experience that you MUST play them to reach the full effect. Granted, nobody I've ever suggested the game to has turned the sexiness off, but I think just the fact that you CAN goes a long way in persuading people.

Don't try to hide from it or pussyfoot around it. Every time somebody I know has asked me about Katawa, I start by saying "IT'S A DATING GAME ABOUT BANGING CRIPPLES." That's your hook. They may be weirded out, but 9/10 you've at least piqued their interest. Normally their followup is, "that's fucked up, man," to which I respond, "That's what I thought before I played it too :B". And then you go on and explain the feels phenomenon and whatnot. Granted, it helps that most of my friends are into anime and cartoons and such. My tactics still probably wouldn't go too far with dudebro types, but fuck those guys anyway.
Tununias

Post by Tununias »

Tununias wrote:I don't typically mention visual novels to people. Most western people(I'm western too btw) just don't seem to understand that genre of game. They'll say stuff like it's not actually a game and say they're reading a visual novel instead of playing a visual novel. And I particularly hate it when they compare visual novels to Choose Your Own Adventure books.
Looking back at this, my post sounds a little trollish. Sorry about that. It was like 3:00 am and I let my irritation get the better of me. I'm going to elaborate on my opinion below. The text below should be taken with a grain of salt. Give or take. :)

I view it as a game with with limited gameplay. Even calling it an eroge implies that it is a game since eroge stands for erotic game. Many visual novels have much more than just text. They can have player characters with facial expressions, music to set each scene's mood, character voices, CG, animations, video, and various choices to effect the outcome. Reading implies that you are on the outside looking in while playing implies that you are on the inside thinking and feeling the way the main character is. Visual novels that don't have any choices are actually called kinetic novels. Those I'm not really sure if you can argue that it is a game.

I've never actually read CYOA books before. It was only after researching visual novels that I heard about them. I guess I don't like them being compared to visual novels because various times I've seen them compared in a negative way like people saying they're like children's books on some forums. I guess they can be compared loosely.

Technically speaking, Katawa Shoujo and visual novels in general aren't dating sims. Although, It might be possible to combine a visual novel and a dating sim into one game. Katawa Shoujo does in fact contain multiple girls to choose from, and Hisou does (or starts to) date one of the girls, some fundamental properties of a dating sim are missing.
The technical definition of a dating simulation game, known as a romantic simulation game (恋愛シミュレーションゲーム ren'ai shimyurēshon gēmu?) in Japan, can involve several technical elements such as a time limit, several statistics such as looks and charm which can be boosted through exercise, or an "attraction meter" which can increase or decrease depending on one's decisions.
-Wikipedia
Although games with romance in are commonly called dating sims by English speakers.
The term 'dating sim' is also often used in English as a generic term for romance-driven games (ren'ai games), a subject matter which is stereotypically associated with the visual novel genre. This can lead to confusion, as visual novels are considered a subgenre of adventure games and are not technically included in the dating sim genre. While the two genres often share a common visual presentation, dating sims are sometimes considered to be more statistically based than the "choose your own adventure" style of visual novels.
-Wikipeida

In conclusion, these are just my moderately researched and well thought out views and opinions. I don't expect anyone to agree fully or even partially with what I put. "Opinions are like currency. Your currency isn't worth as much as mine to me and mine isn't worth as much to you as yours." -Tununias
I don't mean to sound like a troll and I hope you don't mistake me for one. I just have strong opinions and like them to be made known.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not." -Not Sure Who's Quote This Is :(

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

The "dating-sim" term comes from the majority of westerners that have never tried a visual novel, and assume they're dating sims because the player/reader chooses the protagonist's romance path that leads to sex in many cases. But the amount of VNs that are actually dating sims as well is pretty low. (http://vndb.org/g39?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-39;m=0;o=d;s=rating)
Xden

Post by Xden »

I don't ever mention the nudity, because there really isn't that much, and it doesn't play a key role. I tell them it's a game/novel that is packed full of emotion and really helps you to see things in a different perspective. Eventually I'll lightly drop in that it has some nudity, but it's nothing worse than a movie, and it can be disabled. I wouldn't suggest Watchmen (the movie or the graphic novel) to someone by saying it has some sexual content either. I would recommend it because it has a well written, philosophical plot.

I often don't tell people about it, but whenever the conversation is on games/books, I'll casually slip in something about how this one game/novel I play really just brought me to tears with how beautiful and well constructed it was. It seems to get pretty good interest then.
So. Much. wat.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

My friend was interested in KS, and while we were talking to a group he said he wanted to "buy" this game.
He showed me a link http://katawa-shoujo.com/steam/Steam.htm and I was confused.
What do I do in this predicament.
"Don't die!"
~Anonymous
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Eclipse wrote:My friend was interested in KS, and while we were talking to a group he said he wanted to "buy" this game.
He showed me a link http://katawa-shoujo.com/steam/Steam.htm and I was confused.
Look at what "Add to Cart" links to.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Eclipse wrote:My friend was interested in KS, and while we were talking to a group he said he wanted to "buy" this game.
Tell him that you can sell him your copy of the game for 5 bucks.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Now I am more confused ;_;
"Don't die!"
~Anonymous
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Eclipse wrote:Now I am more confused ;_;
It's a joke link, you can't buy the game from Steam
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Lock them in a room with a laptop that can run either Minesweeper or Katawa Shoujo. They'll crack eventually, or they'll play the game. Either way it should be fun to watch.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Helbereth wrote:Lock them in a room with a laptop that can run either Minesweeper or Katawa Shoujo. They'll crack eventually, or they'll play the game. Either way it should be fun to watch.
They wake up, and the laptop boots up. The first thing they see is a video of Misha with white facepaint and red dots on her cheeks.

"Hiii~ I'd like to play a little game!"
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

"So I totally fucked this chick with lemon jelly on my cock..."

Instant attention grabber. 8)
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Teorenz

Post by Teorenz »

Wow, I'm probably one of the few that didn't find it hard to introduce this game. I mean, my friends are pretty cool so when I say there's H content in it they just reply with "well that's fine..." or "Hell yeah! Even better!". I even got got my 40 year old aunt to play it after I just said it was a visual novel.

Well it went like this:

Aunt: "what's a visual novel?"
Me: "well as it says, it's pretty much like a novel that you read through except that as you progress further in the story, there will be choices that appear that will influence the outcome depending on what you choose. Like a game per se."
Aunt: "Okay, so what's it about?"
Me: (explains KS plot)
also, like most VNs, this one focuses more on romance so you'll most likely end up with 1 of 5 girls, whom each have their own disability, or get a bad ending."
Aunt: "sounds interesting. I might try it."
Me: "wait there's more. When it gets to the more intense parts of the romance, the game shows some adult content. Though you are an adult so that's not really a problem."
Aunt: "So there's sex in it?"
Me: "Pretty much."
Aunt: "well that's not weird at all."

my aunt is an avid reader so she's pretty open to these things.
She already finished Lilly and Rin's route and although she doesn't really enjoy having to read it through the computer rather than through a book, she actually liked it and thought it had pretty good writting but is quick to criticize it on a number of things.
Weird Badger

Post by Weird Badger »

Me: Hey you know there is this game... bla bla... visual novel *i tell him all the story of the development*
*I said 4chan*
Friend: ok too pervert for me
Me: what?
Friend: 4chan
Me: but...
Friend: you will find penis in it for sure.
Me: not true, girls.
Friend: No they have a surprise in the lower body
Me: no, i hate you.
Friend: *a lot of penis jokes.*