Anybody else disappointed Katawa Shoujo didn't make Cracked'

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Gandara

Re: Anybody else disappointed Katawa Shoujo didn't make Crac

Post by Gandara »

For what it's worth, the article pretty clearly started by talking about these crazy ass games coming out of Japan. As KS is a non-regional production, it doesn't fall under that stigma.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

Who knew so many gay men and/or creepy women were apparently fans of Mikeinel?
Akros

Post by Akros »

I'm so gonna play the pidgeon one this summer xD
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Merlyn_LeRoy

Cracked 86'd KS from 6 Most Insane Video Games About Dating

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Hard to fit all that in the Subject line with the character limit; hope you know what 86 means...

Anyway, a few days ago a Cracked article called The 6 Most Insane Video Games About Dating was put up. Katawa Shoujo wasn't in the list (though Mike Inel's Deiz was #3).

There were a lot of comments asking about Katawa Shoujo, and one of the authors of the article eventually wrote in the comments "Cracked editorial told us to cut it. I guess they just hate 4chan so much they can't stand seeing reference to it even in a negative context."
yummines

Re: Cracked 86'd KS from 6 Most Insane Video Games About Dat

Post by yummines »

theres already been a thread about this

besides, whats so crazy about Katawa Shoujo? the fact its about disabled people?

not nearly as ridiculous as the pigeon one.

edit: besides, School Days was number 6. last place on the list.
i would say Katawa Shoujo doesn't compare to School Days in terms of insanity.
Last edited by yummines on Sat May 26, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Why would Katawa Shoujo fit in with any of that? There's nothing insane about it at all.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

acewing905 wrote:Why would Katawa Shoujo fit in with any of that? There's nothing insane about it at all.
It has an off-putting premise that could easily be misrepresented for comedic purposes. And misrepresenting things for comedic purposes is basically the entire point of Cracked.com.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

I would say that the concept behind KS was insane - its roots and its formation are mind-blowing, to be honest. But, the end product is extremely well made, very respectful of its content, and really barely reflects its origins.

The six on that list are, by and far, much more insane than KS. Though there's insaner (is that a word?).

I wouldn't be surprised if the author who commented was just trying to drum up a bit of controversy with his post.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

Gandara wrote:I would say that the concept behind KS was insane - its roots and its formation are mind-blowing, to be honest. But, the end product is extremely well made, very respectful of its content, and really barely reflects its origins.

The six on that list are, by and far, much more insane than KS. Though there's insaner (is that a word?).

I wouldn't be surprised if the author who commented was just trying to drum up a bit of controversy with his post.
I said the same thing in the original topic the concept of doing it with disabled girls is insane but the overall game is not but I agree the other stuff is much more insane we the exception of the cat girl because how many of those games are there already
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

But how many of them have half-dog cop Nazi girls?

Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

Gandara wrote:But how many of them have half-dog cop Nazi girls?

I assume that theres a few that have that
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Three immediate thoughts:

- Putting KS on there would have involved Cracked having to make fun of people with disabilities, who are real, unlike cat people (mentally unstable drug addicts are also real, but nobody cares about them). I would like to think that they have limits on the type of hate mail they would like to receive.

- The President is your Girlfriend game actually looks kind of hilarious. "Firing into our territorial waters is mean!"

- I guess the author of the article is ignoring that Hatoful Boyfriend was a deliberate parody? Maybe that didn't temper the game's insanity in his eyes? (EDIT: wait why am I thinking about Cracked's editorial standards at all?"
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Agree that there's no reason why KS should be on that list in the first place.
I can think of at least half a dozen more VNs I'd put on that list before I'd even consider KS. Except for Kenji, there's nothing even remotely insane about it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
TheSongofRaven

Post by TheSongofRaven »

Nothing insane thing on this game i guess. Have talk with some friends about this game and they say it's normal if a Visual Novel will take situation like disability people and how to know their perspective and life.

But, the pigeon one is the damn insane i think.
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Have you played the one's on that list? They have that sort of title for a reason. First time I played YMK I had the case of 'wut' for like a week.
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."