Hanako's body language

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Hanako's body language

Post by Oddball »

Here's something I just noticed that I thought was interesting. I'm not sure if anybody else has caught it or maybe it's just one of those things that everybody noticed and nobody felt like it needed to be said.

In all of Hanako's uniformed and casual sprites she's either looking directly at you or she's turned so that her good side is closer to you.

Her nude and pajama sprites do the opposite. When she's more exposed, she never looks directly at you, and turns her head just slightly so that her bad side is closer to you.

Another interesting note is that during her route, Hisao comments that her putting her hand on her sleeve is a sign that she wants to say something but can't bring herself to say it. All of her nude and pajama sprites are in this pose. (Despite lack of sleeves when she's naked.)
Not Dead Yet
Walrusfella

Re: Hanako's body language

Post by Walrusfella »

That's an interesting observation; I hadn't really taken note of it myself. I suppose it makes sense that when she's more exposed or in a more intimate setting she's less confident. I think Hisao notices that when he first sees her in Lilly's room.

I could have sworn there was pyjama sprite where she was looking directly at Hisao. I'll have go through my saves to see.
Edit:
Here she's looking straight at Hisao. Her head's at a bit of an angle; did you mean directly face-on?

I don't get the sense that the hand-on-arm thing means anything on the sprites. It is a nervous, closed pose and probably just the way she was drawn. Then again, she is full of things she wants to say but can't.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

At the night time tea parties, where Hanako wears her PJs, she is seated at Hasio's right, showing her non-scarred side. She tends to do this most of the time anyway, as I suppose it is habit for her to shy away from people with her right (scarred) side.

Overall Hanako is the least vocal of the girls (Shizune is very vocal through Misha, so don't go there :P ). So I did notice that her overall body language was amplified, and Hisao sought to find hints on her mood or about what she was thinking via her posture and nervous habits and facial expressions. I know for me, trying to get Hasio to coax a smile out of her was one of the biggest highlights of her arc :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Here she's looking straight at Hisao. Her head's at a bit of an angle; did you mean directly face-on?
Yeah. I was talking about directly face on. Her head is slightly angled with her bad side closer to you in all her pajama and nude sprites. I thought it was interesting because normally she always tries to have her good side closer to you.
Not Dead Yet
Aili

Post by Aili »

Walrusfella wrote: I don't get the sense that the hand-on-arm thing means anything on the sprites. It is a nervous, closed pose and probably just the way she was drawn. Then again, she is full of things she wants to say but can't.
From a arm body language website:

''[...] The hands in an arm-cross may also be used to hold the person in a reassuring self-hug, for example holding upper arms in a folded-arms position or wrapped around the torso, holding the sides.''

I believe it shows how she doesn't feel confident when she's in a more intimate situation, and she does that to ''comfort'' her self (''reasuring self-hug'').
I think it can also show just how insecure she is, and how there are certain things she want to tell Hisao, but can't bring herself to do so.

But then again, I may be looking too much into it :)
Lilly > Misha> Shizune > Hanako > Emi > Rin
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

He scarred side seems to be more connected to her inner feelings. When she shows her scarred side, it almost always means she is revealing those inner feelings.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Oddball wrote:Yeah. I was talking about directly face on. Her head is slightly angled with her bad side closer to you in all her pajama and nude sprites. I thought it was interesting because normally she always tries to have her good side closer to you.
That being the case I think you're right. Well spotted.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
MasterJHG

Post by MasterJHG »

Well in her route she says someting like she let hisao have sex with her, as a way to no let him go away, in other words, she really doesn't want that, well she wants, but no in that way i think, so thats why she doesn't make eye contact, in the end she gives a kiss to hisao, saying: " This is my present for you...", maybe she likes hisao in both her and Lily's route, and the thing she can't say or one of them is that kiss...

if she needs a prince, then I will be that prince
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Does the Act II cinematic also support this?
$50 says I live more South than all of you
lolawesome

Post by lolawesome »

Replaying her route, there was a very important I can't believe I forgot about

When Hisao surprise her in her room just staring out the window, and she looked straight at him, the first time that he can recall, and the game slowly zooms into her face with her glimmering eyes straight at you

and later, before her first gift to him, she does it again
http://pastebin.com/u/lolawesome

my pastebin - no rins tho