Which ending did you feel hurt the most?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Devilfire

Re: Which ending did you feel hurt the most?

Post by Devilfire »

Rin's bad ending. No amount of feels can describe it.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

acewing905 wrote:
ZXRN wrote:By the way, I'm confused abt something. Can ya guys explain to me what Rin's biggest problem is? Coz, in the neutral, she wanted to be understood right? Then she has to go to Tokyo to change and become an artist that she wants to be. So why does she need to change if she only wants to be understood?

I'm just really confused abt that part. All I know is that in the good ending She decided to be herself. And that's good.

The answer would be much appreciated.
In the neutral ending, (take my words with a grain of salt, though, as I haven't experienced the neutral ending myself, only read about it and seen a few screenshots) I think Rin decides that she has to change herself in order to be understood. (Even for a while before the good ending, she does.) So she works hard to be an artist who can express herself through her art. She just grabs the chance she gets with the Tokyo art school.
That explains everything for me then. thanks dood!
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Enemy | wrote:
ZXRN wrote:By the way, I'm confused abt something. Can ya guys explain to me what Rin's biggest problem is? Coz, in the neutral, she wanted to be understood right? Then she has to go to Tokyo to change and become an artist that she wants to be. So why does she need to change if she only wants to be understood?

I'm just really confused abt that part. All I know is that in the good ending She decided to be herself. And that's good.

The answer would be much appreciated.
You basically get the neutral ending by encouraging her to be someone else, doing something she doesn't want to. She doesn't really know what she wants or what she is, so she decides this is what she'll do. At least that's how I see it.
Sad. Guess I failed her then. It really is my fault T_T
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

I don't know if this counts, but after i beat when i was playing Rin's good ending, i was having troubles in real life. Basically i confessed to a girl i had had a crush on for the longest time, she was excited and seemed to want to try and date, but everytime i asked to hang out she kind of blew me off, when i got to the Rin ending i was overloaded with feels, and that was around the time she told me she was pregnant and got back with her old boyfriend, kind of broke contact after that.....in combination with Rin's ending not exactly the best feeling ever....V_V

But i got over it though, just decided to not focus on it anymore and for the most part successfully moved on. Like i sad not sure if that counts due to most of the hurt being outside the game, but i think it impacted it.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

Total Destruction wrote:Frickin' Emi, man.

Mad respect, 4LS.
thanks for sharing, man, and I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think it's good to get kicked in the soul (like you said) once in a while, to really feel something so much it hurts. it's too damn easy to give up and not care, and that's no way to live.

speaking of Emi and not caring, yeah, that ending hurt like hell, but in a sort of bottom dropping out of the world kind of way. I got her good ending first, thanks to SCIENCE!, but I had to get all the scenes in her route. and being there at the track, and Emi saying something like "we broke up, Hisao" when she didn't even say anything about it before then... if it was me, I'd be standing there with the biggest confused look ever on my face, wondering if I should want my heart to keep beating or not. it just plain sucked to think everything that happened meant nothing at all. and what's the last line? "we never saw each other again" or something like that? it just cuts off, boom. if I hadn't got the good ending first, I don't know if I'd have been able to play her route again after that.

but that didn't hurt the most. Hanako's bad end did. :shock: her sudden rage and the yelling caught me completely off guard, and I just wanted to yell at the screen, "I'M SORRY! THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!" but, I couldn't. (okay, I could, but it wouldn't do any good.) it was like, everything Hisao tried to do was wrong, and it just hurt her more, until she exploded. and then it was over. I felt like a horrible person for a few minutes. then I figured I was okay not just 'cause I already got the good ending, but 'cause I agreed with Lilly during the phone call, even if Hisao didn't, and made sure he wasn't a dumbass about it the first time around. :mrgreen:

but still, nothing compares to Hanako's sudden rageface. so glad I didn't have nightmares of that.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Axelownz wrote:I don't know if this counts, but after i beat when i was playing Rin's good ending, i was having troubles in real life. Basically i confessed to a girl i had had a crush on for the longest time, she was excited and seemed to want to try and date, but everytime i asked to hang out she kind of blew me off, when i got to the Rin ending i was overloaded with feels, and that was around the time she told me she was pregnant and got back with her old boyfriend, kind of broke contact after that.....in combination with Rin's ending not exactly the best feeling ever....V_V

But i got over it though, just decided to not focus on it anymore and for the most part successfully moved on. Like i sad not sure if that counts due to most of the hurt being outside the game, but i think it impacted it.
Yeah, I still think that counts. Though, isn't Rin's good ending should've made you a little happier? (I can imagine you getting sadder with her neutral ending more.)
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Mercutio wrote:

Mad respect, 4LS.
thanks for sharing, man, and I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think it's good to get kicked in the soul (like you said) once in a while, to really feel something so much it hurts. it's too damn easy to give up and not care, and that's no way to live.
I completely agree with that. Prior to playing KS I've spent the past few years engaging in habitual behaviors that numbed my emotions precisely because I didn't want to wrestle with the particulars of my life that make me unhappy (heartbreak I never got over - with a girl who has a lot of Emi's traits, no less - and a nonexistent art career). Going through KS was a kick in the soul, and I think it's made me want to experience the full emotional spectrum again, so I'm breaking those old habits. It made me realize that I wasn't really not feeling things, I was only feeling a sort of constant low-intensity depression. Like Mercutio said, it's no way to live.

Okay, tangent over; back to the topic at hand. I haven't played all the possible endings yet, and I'm not sure if I will or not simply because I want to let the Good Endings be the "true" endings in my mind. I don't think I could bring myself to read Emi's Bad Ending (got Good Ending on the first try, though when Emi kicked Hisao out of the house I was really afraid I'd screwed it up, especially since I had forgotten Mutou's advice and went after Emi instead of talking to her mother), and from what I've read about it, it sounds like Hanako's Bad Ending would just break my heart! The Manly Picnic with Kenji took me by surprise when I got it while trying to do Shizune's path, and while I can laugh about it now, it made me feel surprisingly bad for a little while. I was also quite unhappy when, on my first tries, I ended up with Hanako's Neutral Ending and Rin's Bad Ending (though in my defense, I took "Make Rin explain" to mean "Rin, just say the words as best you can and I'll try to interpret them," rather than being an ultimatum I knew she wouldn't be able to live up to.).

So all the Bad Endings hurt me. Having said that, I think I'd have to just choose Rin's path overall as the one that hurt the most. Even her Good Ending felt bittersweet to me, and her path was just heart-hurt from start to finish. I don't think I could ever have a relationship with someone like Rin - while we'd have a lot in common and a lot of Hisao's personality/experience in that path resonated with me, I need more mental and physical contact in a romantic relationship than Rin was capable of giving.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

mysterycycle wrote:
Mercutio wrote:

Mad respect, 4LS.
I completely agree with that. Prior to playing KS I've spent the past few years engaging in habitual behaviors that numbed my emotions precisely because I didn't want to wrestle with the particulars of my life that make me unhappy (heartbreak I never got over - with a girl who has a lot of Emi's traits, no less - and a nonexistent art career). Going through KS was a kick in the soul, and I think it's made me want to experience the full emotional spectrum again, so I'm breaking those old habits. It made me realize that I wasn't really not feeling things, I was only feeling a sort of constant low-intensity depression. Like Mercutio said, it's no way to live.
Brothers in arms, friends in misery, right here. I getcha both. Katawa Shoujo > group therapy. Respect!
So all the Bad Endings hurt me. Having said that, I think I'd have to just choose Rin's path overall as the one that hurt the most.
Yeah, that's a definite close second for me. Partially because understanding someone like Rin is an uphill battle to begin with, partially because it's that strangeness that I find pretty enticing, and a great deal because I find myself sympathizing with an uncomfortably large amount of Rin's damage. Yeesh.
... Danger.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Total Destruction wrote:Brothers in arms, friends in misery, right here. I getcha both. Katawa Shoujo > group therapy. Respect!
::brofist::
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
My deviantArt
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

mysterycycle wrote:
Total Destruction wrote:Brothers in arms, friends in misery, right here. I getcha both. Katawa Shoujo > group therapy. Respect!
::brofist::
Amazing how 1 very simple game brought us all here together. lol.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

mysterycycle wrote:I completely agree with that. Prior to playing KS I've spent the past few years engaging in habitual behaviors that numbed my emotions precisely because I didn't want to wrestle with the particulars of my life that make me unhappy (heartbreak I never got over - with a girl who has a lot of Emi's traits, no less - and a nonexistent art career). Going through KS was a kick in the soul, and I think it's made me want to experience the full emotional spectrum again, so I'm breaking those old habits. It made me realize that I wasn't really not feeling things, I was only feeling a sort of constant low-intensity depression. Like Mercutio said, it's no way to live.
okay, this is kinda going to venture into TMI, but I just spent most of the day dealing with what your post and what Total Destruction said made me realize, so... yeah.

I talked about needing to feel something, and how giving up and not caring was no way to live, and didn't even realize that's what I was doing with myself. to make a long story short, I've been dealing with stuff from this girl for, like, three years, where we know we want to get together but the timing always sucks. I've known her for longer than that, but she switched colleges and even though we kept in touch, it wasn't until we were five hundred goddamn miles away from each other that it finally came out. I should have asked her out first time I met her, but no, I spent three years not even looking at other women because I figured we'd get together eventually. (yeah, I just wasted most of my college career. go figure.) playing KS kind of helped me realize what I'd been doing to myself, but I didn't really get the whole thing. not until this conversation.

so, yeah. here I am realizing that there's at least two or three (probably more) other girls I could have asked out and all that, and who knows what would have happened, but I just ignored whatever feelings I had about them 'cause I was waiting on one girl. and I haven't heard from that girl for months. I am such a tool. and it's my own fault. but I gotta listen to you guys, and myself, and know that's no way to live.

funny thing is, when I was growing up, my brother had this book he'd read every year or two, and I never got it. I asked him, why would he read it if he knew what was going to happen? he said he got something different out of it every time, 'cause he wasn't the same person reading it. my brother's a lot deeper than I am, I think. but I finally get what he was talking about. I'm gonna play through some of KS again, the Emi and Hanako routes, I think, and hope that whatever I get from them helps me get my head straight and leave this girl behind me. might not be a kick in the soul, but at least I can try to kick myself in the ass and get over this crap.
damn right, my friends. *brofist* now I gotta go deal with my shit. :|
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

The only bad ending I got which was Emis. That one hurt. I couldnt sleep that night. I got maybe 2 hours of sleep, but likely only 1, and i had to work the next day. I was rather irritable at work the whole day, though I kept it hidden pretty well Id have to say. I got home that night and went through it again, getting her good ending. I felt so much better, I slept like a stone that night. It reminded me of how I destroyed two relationships in real life. how they went under because of how much of a fuck up I am. Always saying something wrong or doing the wrong thing.

From the way it sounds, Im really glad that I never got Hanako's bad ending, and never will. That might not end so well for me......

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

mysterycycle wrote: I completely agree with that. Prior to playing KS I've spent the past few years engaging in habitual behaviors that numbed my emotions precisely because I didn't want to wrestle with the particulars of my life that make me unhappy (heartbreak I never got over - with a girl who has a lot of Emi's traits, no less - and a nonexistent art career). Going through KS was a kick in the soul, and I think it's made me want to experience the full emotional spectrum again, so I'm breaking those old habits. It made me realize that I wasn't really not feeling things, I was only feeling a sort of constant low-intensity depression. Like Mercutio said, it's no way to live.
Im another who is going through the constant low-intensity depression. It isnt any fun to forget what happiness actually feels like. KS kinda made me realize thats what it was that I was going through. One of the quotes from the game that made me think about it most

Emi:
Your still alive aren't you? If you're still alive, you can keep going dammit!

May not be exact wording, but you get the point. I just wish I was better at applying it. For the longest time I just didn't see any reason to try harder than what I was, for what good was it going to do? People only see what they want to see, so would they even notice?

Ya know, it really is strange. This game, this forum and threads like Hanako's Broken Heart Club have gotten me to open up more than any other person ever has be it friend, family, or therapist.

Mad Respect, 4LS. KS > Therapy.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

ZXRN, ArazelEternal: It's a funny old world, innit? It continually amazes me how this game has gotten its players to open up about this stuff, but I'm glad for it.

Mercutio: I hope you can deal with it - in fact, if you'll forgive being compared to an easily-intimidated girl, as Hisao said to Hanako, "I know you can." And I'm hoping I can, too. (Just finished my second time on the Hanako path this morning. It's still good. :D).

At some point I mean to go to the Hanako's Broken Hearts Club thread and post about my unrequited love deal. I haven't wanted to dwell on it, so I've been putting it off - I usually end up being depressed for a week or two when I think about it too deeply - but posts like these have made me want to share. For the time being, Mercutio and ArazelEternal, I'll just say that I totally sympathize with both your plights. Like the sig says, You are not alone.

All right, I'm done threadjacking. :wink:
ImageImage
My deviantArt
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Mercutio wrote:Heavy times.

Yeesh. Funny how that works out, innit? Least it's now and not at your deathbed that you had a little moment of clarity. My sympathies. Go get you some strange!
bros wrote:*fists*
*knux*

Bitches and whores. Tea and whiskey. Hurt and heal. Katawa Shoujo.
... Danger.