I absolutely love Lilly! My first play-through and ending!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

LackadaisicalFellow

I absolutely love Lilly! My first play-through and ending!

Post by LackadaisicalFellow »

Greetings ^^

As you can already tell, I'm new to KS. I recently stumbled upon this game/graphic novel through a YouTube video, and it most certainly piqued my interest. Upon playing it, I fell in love with the game instantly. It's so refreshing and unique. I just absolutely love it.

Now, I chose Lilly, as you probably already know ^^ and I love everything about her! She is such a wonderful character, in my eyes at least. I loved her even more when I found out she was British, like me, haha. Well I'm from England and she's from Scotland... but still, we're both British, and I'm happy with that. She also love tea~ But I am more of a coffee fan, like Hisao of course, heheh.

Okay, I think that's enough of me expressing my love and admiration for Lilly. Let me get in to sharing my experience and thoughts of the game...

First of all, I chose Lilly because I thought she was sweet, caring, warm, heartfelt, selfless, considerate (It looks like I didn't stop expressing my love and admiration for Lilly, haha, plus this list can go on and on, but I'll stop here, lol) and I just particularly do not like any of the other characters. Honest truth. Well except Emi. Emi is nice. But not nice as Lilly. Shizune is the type of girl that I would avoid in real, not just in the game itself. Or any other game for that matter. On to Rin now, and she was just, well, bleh. Emi was okay, she would of been my second choice. Hanako was bleh to me also.

I just finished Lilly's ending, and I can not express enough of how overjoyed & happy I am. Such a wonderful ending. I was on the verge of tears when Hisao had his heart attack at the airport. I thought he was gonna lose Lilly forever, but luckily enough, Lilly heard his cry for her and they got back together in that emotional scene at the hospital. I did end up crying during those scenes to be honest... the music box thing absolutely did it for me, I let out my tears when Hisao took notice of the music box and when Lilly came in to the room. I was so happy for them in the end, I still am, haha. But yeah, I'm extremely happy with the route I took, and how everything panned out. Lilly would be the type of girl that I would go for in real. Hisao and I are very alike, I must say... he's opened my eyes now though, and I'm grateful to him. Even though he's just a character in a game.

Overall, I thought KS was an enjoyable experience and I absolutely love the game :]

That's all folks.
acewing905

Re: I absolutely love Lilly! My first play-through and endin

Post by acewing905 »

Guest wrote:Lilly is a Mary Sue.
Nope. Mary Sue is a character that does nothing wrong. Lilly, though not much, does stuff like not telling Hisao about leaving for Scotland until he hears it from Akira and mothering Hanako a bit too much. Mary Sues don't make mistakes, simply put.
True, the Lilly arc is rather a "cliched" text-book romance, but it's done very well. I don't understand why people hate her just because she's a blue-eyed blonde or because her story arc is "cliched". There's more to her than that.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Aww... Fellow, that's the find of enthusiasm that makes a guy feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I'm looking forwards to seeing your reaction to the other girls routes.

Lilly isn't my absolute favorite, but she's a strong second place.
Lilly is a Mary Sue.
Lilly is an over protective, caffine addicted, nymphomaniac with a possible alcohol problem and issues with letting other people know when she needs help. She does have her flaws, she's just got them more under control than most of the other characters.
Not Dead Yet
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

And to round out the argument against your horribly fallacious assertion here, a Mary Sue is an author avatar. The whole point of the trope is that Mary Sues are written by bad fanfic authors as exaggeratedly perfect versions of themselves. The author's unbridled and unashamed fantasies that bleed through into his/her work are what define a Mary Sue. Thus, claiming Lilly is a "Mary Sue" is tantamount to saying "Lilly's route is just an exploration of Suriko's desire to be a calm, reliable, attractive, blind schoolgirl in Japan." Which is absolutely silly.
Well, actually, I don't know Suriko, so maybe he does fantasize about that. Who knows!

Even if Lilly was perfect (she's not), she still wouldn't be a "Mary Sue". It's just an improper use of the term.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

To the OP: how do you feel about the fact that Lilly received the request to live in Scotland permanently before she went on vacation with Hanako and Hisao, and therefore pretty much based her entire relationship with Hisao on a lie (or at least the withholding of truth)? For example, when Lilly cries to Hisao and says "Don't go away, I beg of you. Never, ever go away. I love you, so please...!", she already knows that she is going to leave him. You seem to have a lot of positive things to say about Lilly, so I'm wondering what you think about her more negative qualities.

acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Mirrormn wrote:
And to round out the argument against your horribly fallacious assertion here, a Mary Sue is an author avatar. The whole point of the trope is that Mary Sues are written by bad fanfic authors as exaggeratedly perfect versions of themselves. The author's unbridled and unashamed fantasies that bleed through into his/her work are what define a Mary Sue. Thus, claiming Lilly is a "Mary Sue" is tantamount to saying "Lilly's route is just an exploration of Suriko's desire to be a calm, reliable, attractive, blind schoolgirl in Japan." Which is absolutely silly.
Well, actually, I don't know Suriko, so maybe he does fantasize about that. Who knows!

Even if Lilly was perfect (she's not), she still wouldn't be a "Mary Sue". It's just an improper use of the term.
Nah, Mary Sue by current usage doesn't have to be an author avatar.
tv|tropes wrote:Simple as that. The original meaning, this one has lost prominence as a sole definition lately but still often gets invoked. People used to sometimes call their alter ego characters "their Mary Sue", but this usage has mostly died with the proliferation of the term as an automatic pejorative.
But Lilly is not a Mary Sue, simply because she has character flaws. A defining charactersitic of a Mary Sue is that she has no flaws.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

acewing905 wrote: Nah, Mary Sue by current usage doesn't have to be an author avatar.
tv|tropes wrote:Simple as that. The original meaning, this one has lost prominence as a sole definition lately but still often gets invoked. People used to sometimes call their alter ego characters "their Mary Sue", but this usage has mostly died with the proliferation of the term as an automatic pejorative.
But Lilly is not a Mary Sue, simply because she has character flaws. A defining charactersitic of a Mary Sue is that she has no flaws.
I don't think your interpretation of the term is any more legitimate than my own; probably less so, since mine is more in line with its historical usage. Anyway, it doesn't matter what interpretation you use. The term is not a correct characterization of Lilly either way.

I'm really not a big fan of using "Mary Sue" in any context, since it's so poorly defined that it's almost always better to use more descriptive and precise language instead. As TvTropes says:
tv|tropes wrote:Using the term in most contexts isn't too far off from Flame Bait, generally provoking the defendant into rants.

acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Mirrormn wrote:
I don't think your interpretation of the term is any more legitimate than my own; probably less so, since mine is more in line with its historical usage. Anyway, it doesn't matter what interpretation you use. The term is not a correct characterization of Lilly either way.

Guess you're right about that. :)
tv|tropes wrote:What that character type is, exactly, differs wildly from circle to circle, and often from person to person.
Titus

Post by Titus »

What do you expect, her route is canon after all.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Titus wrote:What do you expect, her route is canon after all.
Is this some kinda inside joke? Cause AFAIK, there's no "canon" KS storyline. :?
Logan812

Post by Logan812 »

acewing905 wrote:
Is this some kinda inside joke? Cause AFAIK, there's no "canon" KS storyline. :?
Well, it's as canon as the all of the "good" endings are in Heavy Rain, if that's any measure.
Favorite Routes in Order: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
Favorite Characters: Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin > Emi
Titus

Post by Titus »

acewing905 wrote:
Yea it is :mrgreen: People at one time liked to joke about Lilly being the canon character since Shizune and Lilly patch their relationship up a bit, and Hanako grows and becomes more comfortable around others. Plus she's a classy, motherly, kind, and strong woman with an extremely healthy adolescent sex drive, there are men that would kill for a woman like that. It really is too good to be true. Also she was voted somewhere as being the best looking. Yea.
Well, it's as canon as the all of the "good" endings are in Heavy Rain, if that's any measure.
Yea. To me good endings are the final scenes of the story. It's THE ending.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Titus wrote:
acewing905 wrote: Is this some kinda inside joke? Cause AFAIK, there's no "canon" KS storyline. :?
Yea it is :mrgreen: People at one time liked to joke about Lilly being the canon character since Shizune and Lilly patch their relationship up a bit, and Hanako grows and becomes more comfortable around others. Plus she's a classy, motherly, kind, and strong woman with an extremely healthy adolescent sex drive, there are men that would kill for a woman like that. It really is too good to be true. Also she was voted somewhere as being the best looking. Yea.

She is also a caffeine addict, a nymphomaniac (yeah, "extremely healthy adolescent sex drive" in another way :P ) and shows the beginnings of an alcohol addiction. ;) She's still awesome, though. :D
nemz

Post by nemz »

Mirrormn wrote:To the OP: how do you feel about the fact that Lilly received the request to live in Scotland permanently before she went on vacation with Hanako and Hisao, and therefore pretty much based her entire relationship with Hisao on a lie (or at least the withholding of truth)? For example, when Lilly cries to Hisao and says "Don't go away, I beg of you. Never, ever go away. I love you, so please...!", she already knows that she is going to leave him. You seem to have a lot of positive things to say about Lilly, so I'm wondering what you think about her more negative qualities.
This actually pissed me off when it was revealed to the point where I find her neutral ending to be preferable.

Don't forget she was on the pill by that point as well, so just how spontaneous her declaration of love on this little trip was is very much in question (and yes, I do realize there are other possible reasons why this might be but she doesn't offer any of them when asked about it).

Oh, and it's probably a GREAT idea to give constant caffeine to someone with a heart condition. Neither of them bothered to check if any of his many medications has a warning against being taken in conjunction with alcohol either. No wonder he's clearly in the worst shape in her route!
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly