Hanako's
20%
Emi's
40%

Total votes: 381

Oddball

What ending was the best for Hisao?

Post by Oddball »

A lot of the posts around here talk about how much Hisao influenced others, but what about the other way around? Which relationship seems to have done him the most good?

I'm still torn a bit on who was the best, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Rin's or Shizune's.

He really doesn't seem to improve all that much in Rin's route and they still haven't quite figured out how to understand each other.

Shizune's path gives him a solid goal for the future, but the romance factor is seriously lacking.

I'd go with Lilly's route as the best if it wasn't for how horrible his health was there. He's got a near perfect storybook romance and a goal for the future, but he's worse physically here than anywhere else.

Hanako's route he's putting some serious thoughts into his future and he probably has a deeper emotional bond with her than any of the others, but the story cuts out before we can really see them start to grow.

Emi's... I don't know. There's something about how they both state that nothing lasts forever that just sets wrong with me. He is in the best of health there though,so he's got that going for him.
Not Dead Yet
Enemy |

Re: What ending was the best for Hisao?

Post by Enemy | »

I voted for Emi's.

With all the running his health is in check (well at least it's better than in the other routes), he joins the Science Club and has apparently decided what he wants for his future, and has a healthy relationship (at least the good ending implies that)
Lilly's comes close, except for the big "omg I'm going to die" thing that happens there.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Lilly's. I don't know why I say that, though. Just that Lilly's good ending really struck me as sooo gooooood. :D
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

I did a huge essay about something like this before, and I want to try and pare that down a bit. My opinion has shifted a bit since then anyway

The Hisaos at the end of both the Emi path and the Shizune path are the best equipped for the life ahead of them, but for different reasons. Emi!Hisao has the exercise habit built up, and even if he and Emi don't last he can take pretty much anything coming at him with just that. Shizune!Hisao seems to have the best understanding of the people around him and seems less selfish than in other paths (at least what I would call selfish, your mileage may vary).

I don't seem to have my heart staked on any of these relationships lasting forever (probably because of my own life experiences) so I guess I prioritize Hisao's ability to adjust over anything else.

Descending into the madness that is trying to analyze Hisao completely, I wonder how much Hisao had changed from his depressed hospital self before being locked into any of these paths. Taking the assertive choices that would lead you to Shizune implies that Hisao is already in the process of getting back on his feet, and that his sticking with the student council is just him being drawn to Shizune herself (and less about her changing him). The choices leading to Emi's path could really go either way, since its possible to have to choose between the Emi and Shizune paths. You could have an unassertive Hisao being dragged down to the track by Emi (and growing to like it, obv.), or an assertive Hisao going down to the track more of his own free will.

In the two paths proper, assuming you don't play into a bad ending, the Shizune route doesn't give many choices to the guy, let's face it. We are watching a by that point fully-formed Hisao. The Emi route gives you two routes to basically the same thing. The negative version plays out more dramatically and has a bigger moment of redemption, but that's it.

Short version; Emi has a strong possibility of having a direct change on Hisao, and Shizune has less of an actual change on a Hisao who is already going to be all right.
Last edited by WorldlyWiseman on Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

>Kenji's is not an answer
Come on, it's the only one that complies with Darwinism. And not because of Hisao's heart, either.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

I think Hanako's ending gave Hisao the best balance and the most potential for further growth.

Lily was pure love, but she will kill him within 5 years due to sex, caffine and alcohol.

Emi got him into good physical shape, but emotionally left him kind of cynical and jaded.

Hanako got him into moderate shape with lots of walking, and didn't continually ply him with tea, coffee, and booze. Furthermore, the Hanako route made Hisao dive really deep into his own psyche, and forced him to fix his own emotional problems before trying to help other people. That gives a really good solid base from which to move forward in a healthy way, mentally and physically.

I think Rin and Shizune just left him pretty confused.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
bronko

Post by bronko »

Enemy | wrote:I voted for Emi's.

With all the running his health is in check (well at least it's better than in the other routes), he joins the Science Club and has apparently decided what he wants for his future, and has a healthy relationship (at least the good ending implies that)
Lilly's comes close, except for the big "omg I'm going to die" thing that happens there.
I think this sums it up pretty well.
I apologize for any grammatical and spelling mistake I may do. English is not my native language.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

With Emi he's the physically fittest, plus one day he'll read about "foreplay" and her ass will be his forever and ever.

With Shizune he's the mentally fittest, plus they have arguably the strongest relationship.
yummines

Post by yummines »

As much as i like Rin i would go with Emi.

I mean his heart problems are an afterthought, due to him training to become stronger and overcome it somewhat. He has a relationship with a girl who loves and trusts him (plus is kinky), and he figured out what he wanted to do in life.

He has his cake and can eat it too
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

Enemy | wrote:I voted for Emi's.

I agree. Emi's good end is the one providing the best closure all around. Hisao's pretty much got everything he needs to build a good life : health, a relationship with solid foundations and a decent future prospect. (Science can make good money, especially in Japan.)
ravenlord wrote:I think Hanako's ending gave Hisao the best balance and the most potential for further growth.

Hanako got him into moderate shape with lots of walking, and didn't continually ply him with tea, coffee, and booze. Furthermore, the Hanako route made Hisao dive really deep into his own psyche, and forced him to fix his own emotional problems before trying to help other people. That gives a really good solid base from which to move forward in a healthy way, mentally and physically.
It's true that Hanako's path made Hisao introspective, and helped him sort his mind out. It's an interesting opinion you have there. But I'm not sure he'd take his health into account, the lovestruck fellow. I mean he could very well take responsibilities™ and try to improve his health, but he could also overlook the issue, seeing as he hasn't had much of a problem with his heart in her route.
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

I'd say the 5 Hisaos grow in different ways and are rewarded differently, each to their own needs.

With Rin, he grows artistically and spirtitually. His reward is a unique insight into life and reality, and a unique relationship with deep and passionate young lady.
With Shizune, his growth is socially and mentally. He learns how to deal with people and the world. His reward is a thoughtful relationship with a bright, strong lady.
With Lilly, his growth is that in honesty and communication. He learns how to open up to the one he loves. His reward is an honest relationship with a healthy, kind lady.
With Hanako, his growth is emotional. He discovers the secrets of his and Hanako's heart. His reward is a deeply emotional relationship with a generous and loving lady.
With Emi, hos growth is physical. He learns how to take care of his and Emi's body. His reward is an intense relationship with an energetic and inspiring lady.

I'd say that in all the good endings, the respective Hisao gets what he wants and needs. So all five good endings are equally good for him.

But myself as the player, I voted for Emi since I think health, passion and honesty are the foundation for a good relationship. Even if they both know nothing lasts forever, they still will both do their very best for each other. Which is a very good way to get started indeed.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

Have to go with Emi here.

Emi's Hisao has the best health out of any of the routes easily. He has a solid relationship (I don't see their views on "nothing lasts forever" as cynical/jaded/shifty, it's a true, valuable, and realistic lesson), and a plan for the future.
Rin's route I really love but alot is left up in the air and uncertain (much like Rin herself). I want to believe they work everything out (and in my mind they do and live happily ever after) but we don't see that in the story so...
Lilly's Hisao is on death's door, even going through another couple surgeries. He has a solid relationship and a plan for his life but his health is just too poor to compare favorably with Emi's.
Hanako's Hisao is much like Rin's in that we don't have super solid information on how his future will look. He has a good relationship but is he going to have the same health problems as Lilly's Hisao? What about his future? Unclear.
Shizune's Hisao has a plan for the future but his relationship is questionable and his health isn't dealt with. People mention that he's more mentally "fit" in this route but I don't really see how he's that much better then in the others.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Murkglow wrote:Have to go with Emi here.
People mention that he's more mentally "fit" in this route but I don't really see how he's that much better then in the others.
For this specifically, I would use the sequence with Iwanoko's letter. Instead of spending multiple scenes feeling regretful over the past, he's able to see past the flowery print and get a good feel for her intentions - that she just wanted to stop feeling guilty over the whole thing and that she doesn't want him to respond at all.

I would also like to mention how he gets along better with Kenji, but that might just be Kenji acting differently with this writer. Anyway, he just seems to have a better grasp of people.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Healthier? Emi
Mentally? Shizune
Socially? Shizune
Problem-solving? Kenji

But how come there's no 'Kenji' ending? That was a good ending too...it's also the best for him since it solve all his problems (deathsolvesallproblem*hinhint*stalin*hinthint*)

Also, considering Lilly's rather...eh..."ending", I kinda' have this theory that Lilly never returned to Hisao--rather, Hisao died at the airport and everything else is just his imagination as he faces his deathbed :twisted:
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Emi's. She'll make sure he stays in shape and they genuinely love each other. Can't get better than that.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25