Would this be a better game if there was less of it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

How many hours did your first play through take?

0 - 10
66%
11 - 20
20%
21 - 30
8%
31 - 40
3%
41+
3%

Total votes: 71

Re: Would this be a better game if there was less of it?

Post by Guest »

Is this your first time playing a Visual Novel? It seems like you're just dismissing the game because there's "too much text" or whatever. If you're playing this game just to say you've played rather than playing it for the experience you're obviously missing something here. If you truly, TRULY want to enjoy this game to the fullest you should be playing with an open mind and letting the text sink in. Wanting to cut out text just because it "bores" you is completely missing the point of character development and overall, the act of fleshing out a personality. Keep in mind this is supposed to be a relatively realistic story, the idle chatter is just that, idle chatter, it adds about as much detail to the story as it does to reality.
yummines

Post by yummines »

its not that long

i went through my first route, including act 1, in about 3 and a half hours.

maybe i just read fast, but yea thats not that long.

besides theres no way a game can be too long.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Act I is a little slow, but that's what people call set-up.
Act 1 kinda has to be slow. They have to establish the setting, backstory, and give the entire main cast equal billing so you don't feel like one person's story is automatically more important than the others.
Not Dead Yet
megiddo

Post by megiddo »

YES, it would be a better VN if there were less of it. Specifically, the Rin path in its entirety.

I think I sympathize for you, goodman528, because it sounds you took the Rin path, which is the most boring and frustrating path in the VN. Not only is Rin annoying, but Hisao is also a boring, retarded slacker.

GOODMAN528, I VEHEMENTLY SUGGEST RESTARTING AND CHOOSING ANOTHER GIRL. Trust me.
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

:roll: By Rin you must mean Lilly. If there is one path in this game which is sleep inducingly boring it's Lilly's.
I mean who hasn't seen that character/story done a thousand times? Rin's story and character are far more interesting.

Are we having fun with these pointless comments putting down of other routes yet?
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

megiddo wrote:I think I sympathize for you, goodman528, because it sounds you took the Rin path, which is the most boring and frustrating path in the VN. Not only is Rin annoying, but Hisao is also a boring, retarded slacker.
LIES!!! YOUR OPINION IS INVALID!!! :evil:

Err, I mean, everyone has the route that they think is bad, and I can respect that. 8)
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

The game was too short for me, not too long.

I totally enjoyed act I. It gave me a really indepth feel of the school and the environment, and Hisao's situation. It also provided enough information on each of the girls, not just surface stuff, that I was able to determine with certainty which relationship that I wanted to pursue. It also gave me an appriciation for the other girls who I was not pursuing, and some of the other characters as well (especially Yuuko and Kenji). It was a wonderful experience to immerse myself in the KS world and make it my temporary reality. I don't think that would have been possible with a fast-paced opening.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

megiddo wrote:YES, it would be a better VN if there were less of it. Specifically, the Rin path in its entirety.

I think I sympathize for you, goodman528, because it sounds you took the Rin path, which is the most boring and frustrating path in the VN. Not only is Rin annoying, but Hisao is also a boring, retarded slacker.

GOODMAN528, I VEHEMENTLY SUGGEST RESTARTING AND CHOOSING ANOTHER GIRL. Trust me.
Murkglow wrote:By Rin you must mean Lilly. If there is one path in this game which is sleep inducingly boring it's Lilly's.
I mean who hasn't seen that character/story done a thousand times? Rin's story and character are far more interesting.
I enjoy both paths equally as much.

ivegottogodosomthing

Post by ivegottogodosomthing »

I'm hoping that those who picked 40+ hours misread the question. Otherwise, that is unspeakably slow.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

ivegottogodosomthing wrote:I'm hoping that those who picked 40+ hours misread the question. Otherwise, that is unspeakably slow.
I was one of them, I thought he was speaking in terms of playing all of the paths.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

it's all about how fast you can read .... why ruin one of the best vn's around by making it shorter ... it is just wrong thinking that way if you don't wanna read it watch many of the let's plays on youtube .. but it wont be the same experence
Scissors110

Post by Scissors110 »

I'm usually a fast reader, but I would find that when playing this for a decent amount of time (1+ hours), my reading would start turning into skimming. At that point I would force myself to stop, take a break, and come back to it later with a clear head, so I didn't miss anything important with the story.
100% Game Completion!
Character: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Shizune>Rin
Story: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Guy hates game, apparently hates any amount of lengthy reading.

Takes the time to register and make a poll to tell us how much he hates the game.

Smells fishy.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
megiddo

Post by megiddo »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:Guy hates game, apparently hates any amount of lengthy reading.

Takes the time to register and make a poll to tell us how much he hates the game.

Smells fishy.
Hmm, probably trying to lower KS game sales with bad reviews. :wink: kidding of course
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

megiddo wrote:
WorldlyWiseman wrote:Guy hates game, apparently hates any amount of lengthy reading.

Smells fishy.
Hmm, probably trying to lower KS game sales with bad reviews. :wink: kidding of course
Or maybe he's a feminist