Should the adult content be turned off?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
inquisitivenegro
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 am
Location: In the Pacific

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by inquisitivenegro » Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 am

I'll be a little bit more helpful here
K The H scenes are pretty important to the story but I understand 200% why you don't want to watch hentai.
The solution is actually really simple KS being what it is, a text and image based VN.
All you have to do is manually censor it-put a black window over 2/3 of the screen
Use alwaysontop.exe or something similar so that you can click on KS without bringing the KS tab to top.
$50 says I live more South than all of you

User avatar
WorldlyWiseman
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by WorldlyWiseman » Thu May 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Here's the kicker - the 'disable adult content' option in the game just drops a few select scenes from the game. There a re a number of instances where arguably adult content preceding and following these scenes is still present, because they aren't in the scene that is dropped.

So it's basically pointless if you are trying to avoid nudity altogether.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.

User avatar
ArazelEternal
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Anywhere, as long as Hanako is by my side...
Contact:

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by ArazelEternal » Fri May 04, 2012 12:37 am

Leave them on. They are important to the story, the emotion and character development.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.

User avatar
megiddo
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by megiddo » Fri May 04, 2012 2:21 am

It isn't meant to turn you on...
I disagree. I think those scenes are meant to erotic, just like a particularly intimate moment with a lover is supposed to be. I also don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people have said that you cannot fap to the scenes (and I agree), but that doesn't mean you turn into an sexless mannequin during the sex scenes. You still feel titillation, it's just not appropriate to fap with so much emotion and character-building going on.

User avatar
inquisitivenegro
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 am
Location: In the Pacific

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by inquisitivenegro » Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 am

megiddo wrote:
It isn't meant to turn you on...
I disagree. I think those scenes are meant to erotic, just like a particularly intimate moment with a lover is supposed to be. I also don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people have said that you cannot fap to the scenes (and I agree), but that doesn't mean you turn into an sexless mannequin during the sex scenes. You still feel titillation, it's just not appropriate to fap with so much emotion and character-building going on.
Yea...not everyone gets all emotional about the h-scenes
$50 says I live more South than all of you

User avatar
Enemy |
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by Enemy | » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 am

inquisitivenegro wrote:
megiddo wrote:
It isn't meant to turn you on...
I disagree. I think those scenes are meant to erotic, just like a particularly intimate moment with a lover is supposed to be. I also don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people have said that you cannot fap to the scenes (and I agree), but that doesn't mean you turn into an sexless mannequin during the sex scenes. You still feel titillation, it's just not appropriate to fap with so much emotion and character-building going on.
Yea...not everyone gets all emotional about the h-scenes
The (Emi spoilers) lemon scene is one that's not particularly emotional

User avatar
StepmaniaFreak
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by StepmaniaFreak » Fri May 04, 2012 11:28 am

inquisitivenegro wrote:The (Emi spoilers) lemon scene is one that's not particularly emotional
Yea, it's downright hilarious and should never be skipped, ever.

User avatar
Sperance
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:33 am
Location: Off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by Sperance » Tue May 08, 2012 5:37 am

I agree with what the others said. While I understand why some people would like to avoid them, most of the sex scenes are crucial character development for both the girl and Hisao (Rin's and Hanako's come to mind). So, you can skip them and still follow the storyline without much problem, but you're missing some powerful emotion and character development

Guest

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by Guest » Tue May 08, 2012 5:39 am

no, the scenes are done tastefully. in one route especially, the scene plays a relatively important role in the story (not crucial, but important).

User avatar
Mercutio
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 pm
Location: Location: Location:

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by Mercutio » Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 pm

yeah, you definitely want to leave them on. weird thing is, when I played through it for the first time (Lilly's path), and it looked like a sex scene was coming up, I started getting all nervous and kinda uncomfortable, like, "okay, I've been reading/playing this for a while, I'm really into their story, do I even want to watch them have sex?" it was weird, man. but I kept going, and I'm glad I did. if I'd turned the scene off, I would have wondered what happened, then I'd have to go back and watch just that scene, and that would be even weirder. :mrgreen:

and while most of the scenes are supposed to be erotic, yeah, they're not like in actual porn games, where it's all focused on some impossibly bouncy girl who wants it every which way twice and the guy's face is mostly obscured. (Hisao has a name, that alone should show this isn't just another h-game.) also, there's a lot of emotion, like other people said, and it's not always good emotion. the first scene with Rin was really, really uncomfortable, and I think it was supposed to be. it worked. same with, well, anyone who's played Shizune's route can guess what one I'm talking about.

and sometimes they're just hilarious and/or loving, like all the scenes in Emi's route. :mrgreen: in her last scene, she talks about having her socks on, but she doesn't have them on during the sex CG. this can only mean one thing: Hisao fucked her socks right off. go Hisao.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by Oddball » Sun May 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Mercutio wrote:
and sometimes they're just hilarious and/or loving, like all the scenes in Emi's route. :mrgreen: in her last scene, she talks about having her socks on, but she doesn't have them on during the sex CG. this can only mean one thing: Hisao fucked her socks right off. go Hisao.
Her socks are on her legs right where socks are supposed to be. It's just that her legs aren't on where her legs are supposed to be.
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
mysterycycle
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm
Location: Silent Hill, USA

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by mysterycycle » Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Hinata447 already answered, so all I can do at this point is nod and say I think they made the right choice.

I'm a conservative Christian, so I might be one of the more "prudish" people around here when it comes to portrayals of nudity and sex and the like, but honestly, one of the striking things to me about the sex scenes in KS is how much a part of the story they are. When I first played through KS, I didn't know that there would be sex scenes, so it came as a bit of a shock to me, but after finishing the first time (Emi's path, no less!), I decided I didn't want to shut them off in subsequent readings. They are so unlike the typical throwaway Hollywood-style sex scenes where it's just blatant fanservice or could be excised from the story without losing anything. Their "reality" (I know we're talking about an anime-style romance story, but "verisimilitude" doesn't seem like the right phrase here) and how they affect the characters is so believable and significant that I think I would have really missed something important if I had elected to skip them. Sometimes they're beautiful and sometimes they're horribly uncomfortable or even disturbing, but they're always as much a part of the story as the moment of confession. I didn't get the sense that the authors and artists were trying to titillate me or pander to my lust, and I really appreciated that.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt

User avatar
inquisitivenegro
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 am
Location: In the Pacific

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by inquisitivenegro » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 am

mysterycycle wrote:Hinata447 already answered, so all I can do at this point is nod and say I think they made the right choice.

I'm a conservative Christian, so I might be one of the more "prudish" people around here when it comes to portrayals of nudity and sex and the like, but honestly, one of the striking things to me about the sex scenes in KS is how much a part of the story they are. When I first played through KS, I didn't know that there would be sex scenes, so it came as a bit of a shock to me, but after finishing the first time (Emi's path, no less!), I decided I didn't want to shut them off in subsequent readings. They are so unlike the typical throwaway Hollywood-style sex scenes where it's just blatant fanservice or could be excised from the story without losing anything. Their "reality" (I know we're talking about an anime-style romance story, but "verisimilitude" doesn't seem like the right phrase here) and how they affect the characters is so believable and significant that I think I would have really missed something important if I had elected to skip them. Sometimes they're beautiful and sometimes they're horribly uncomfortable or even disturbing, but they're always as much a part of the story as the moment of confession. I didn't get the sense that the authors and artists were trying to titillate me or pander to my lust, and I really appreciated that.
doesnt sound very conservative imo
$50 says I live more South than all of you

User avatar
ravenlord
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: usa

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by ravenlord » Tue May 15, 2012 1:31 am

inquisitivenegro wrote: doesnt sound very conservative imo
Sounds like he is to me. I have the same religous background, and I had the same reaction that he did to the eroge portions of KS. I am not into gratuitous sex and nudity, but I can appriciate it as an art form when it drives a plot or makes a point. KS did a great job of showing both the joys and pitfalls of intimate encounters between friends and lovers; protraying it very intelligently, tenderly, and realistically.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
Image
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb

rydiafan
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Should the adult content be turned off?

Post by rydiafan » Tue May 15, 2012 6:27 am

leave them on ... every one else said why lol

Post Reply