An odd revelation

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oogy

An odd revelation

Post by Oogy »

Some minor spoilers here, just to be safe.

I'm not sure if this has already been noticed by someone or not, or if this has already been discussed or not. I was playing through Hanako's route for a second time, when something rather strange caught my attention, not sure why I noticed or if it's eve relevant to anything in any way shape, or form; I just did.

In Hanako's sex scene, you actually see both Hisoa's and Hanako's ... euhm ... private parts. Somehow,none of the other sex scenes seem to display sex that explicitly (Yeah, I checked :3 ), there's almost always a conveniently placed body part blocking it or it's just out of sight. It struck me as odd that specifically Hanako (the most shy one), is eventually the one that appears to be the most exposed one to us. What's even more, is that the sex scene with Hanako is pretty controversial (The whole "was it rape?" thing), it's probably the only 'questionable' sex scene in the game (not counting anal exploration) and yet the creators 'reveal' the most in that scene.

Any thoughts on this?
I don't normaly go on forums, but when I do, it's pretty damn sure that needed more of whatever it is the forums is about.
There just had to be -more- to "The Katawa Shoujo Experience". ( 100% completion D: )

100 pushup program, pretest: 55
Camoufrage

Re: An odd revelation

Post by Camoufrage »

I noticed this too, but I dont see it as too much. Maybe Hanako was one of the earlier stories and they decided NOT to show genitalia in later arcs?

And I dont understand the whole rape idea, by the end she was obviously okay with it.
Oogy

Post by Oogy »

Ah well, spoilers: Hmh, the whole discussion about it is that didn't actually want to have sex for the sole purpoe of having sex, she did it to make sure Hisao didn't see her as "just a someone to protect", she actually says that she allowed him to do it, meaning that it wasn't fully what she wanted, kind of like choosing the lesser of two evils, to her.

I kind of thought all stories were developed simultaniously? If not, then I doubt the developers were in a rush to publish KS.

Another thing I've actually noticed, is that Hanako's route is actually the one with the least pictures for the gallery (Yeah, I counted them, I'm that bad.), and in my opinion, feels the shortest too.
I don't normaly go on forums, but when I do, it's pretty damn sure that needed more of whatever it is the forums is about.
There just had to be -more- to "The Katawa Shoujo Experience". ( 100% completion D: )

Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Oogy wrote: Another thing I've actually noticed, is that Hanako's route is actually the one with the least pictures for the gallery (Yeah, I counted them, I'm that bad.), and in my opinion, feels the shortest too.
It is most definitely the shortest. It has the lowest word count, line count, musical selection count, gallery picture count, script file size, full skip-mode playthrough time, scene count, etc.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I think the fact that they were more exposed adds to the uncomfortable feel to it. The scene wasn't shown to us with anything hidden or blocked from view. It wasn't romanticized or artistically censored. It gave the scene more of a raw unflinching feeling to it.

What's even more, is that the sex scene with Hanako is pretty controversial (The whole "was it rape?" thing), it's probably the only 'questionable' sex scene in the game (not counting anal exploration) and yet the creators 'reveal' the most in that scene.
I really don't see how anybody can say that it was rape when Hanako says herself that she wanted it to happen. It was awkward and uncomfortable, sure, but if awkward and uncomfortable sex automatically equals rape, then we might as well call Emi's shed scene rape.
Not Dead Yet
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

I just figured that the artist that did Hanako's path was the only one of the giggling teenage girl artists brave enough to draw a penis. 8)
Oogy

Post by Oogy »

Scumbag developers, making the steamiest sex scene the most uncomfortable one as well. >:3

Just to clarify though, I didn't think the scene was a genuine rape, some people just appear to do. It wasn't exactly consensual though.

yummines

Post by yummines »

Otakumon wrote:I just figured that the artist that did Hanako's path was the only one of the giggling teenage girl artists brave enough to draw a penis. 8)
Yea. How the sex scenes were drawn made them impossible to fap to.
Then i get to Hanako's route, which shows everything, but im thinking "Hisao you dumbass its fairly obvious she doesnt want to do it and shes just letting you" and realize i love KS's story too much to fap at all in any of the routes
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Just to clarify though, I didn't think the scene was a genuine rape, some people just appear to do. It wasn't exactly consensual though.
I'd say it was consensual but neither of them had the slightest idea what the other wanted. I suppose you could say they took advantage of each other.
Not Dead Yet
khaosdvorak

Post by khaosdvorak »

The smile on Hanako's face the next morning says it all.
When Hanako smiles it makes you feel on top of the world.
When hanako cries.....*HNNNNNNNGGGGGGG* *dies*
Mentlegen

Post by Mentlegen »

Hisao is the biggest retard ever, the entire sex scene with Hanako was not needed, all Hanako wanted was him to love her
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

We already had a huge thread on this before... so read that.

Begin of rant:
What irks me though is the underlying idea that you need to make a song and a dance about sex with the other to consent to it. That's nonsense. If a person takes you to their room and strips, and then comes with you to bed out of their own accord after you strip in response, then unless something different is said, that person definitely consents to having sex with you. It's a way of nonverbal consent, and a rather famous, classic one at that. What more consent do you want? A release form? I fail to see what's wrong with nonverbal consent, as long as people are allowed to back out verbally. Nonverbal consent is just as fine as spoken consent.

And often, nonverbal consent is all you'll get if the person you are with is, like Hanao, shy! A shy person who consents non-verbally to having sex often really doesn't want to be forced to have to talk about it. That is what Hisao didn't ask anything. He didn't want to put Hanako on the spot more than she was already.
End of rant.

Now, whether she enjoyed it is a whole other thing, seeing they are both inexperienced and terribly awkward. But at least she smiles after it mustn't have been all bad. It's not because you consent to someone doing something with you that you have to enjoy it. Lack of enjoyment does not make for lack of consent.

Whether she wanted it.. of course she wanted it, but not for physical pleasure, but for an ulterior motive. That happens too, you know. And in the end, its that what was needed for Hisao to snap out of his friendzoning and white knighting her. So all in all, in a roundabout way, the sex had the intended effect.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Otakumon wrote:I just figured that the artist that did Hanako's path was the only one of the giggling teenage girl artists brave enough to draw a penis. 8)
Well, Aura says something to that effect in the ask thread. I'm entirely too lazy to search 100 pages to find the exact quote tho.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I was a bit shocked at how explicit the scene visuals were, but it was very well drawn and not a bad thing.

I never thought anything about Hisao forcing her or anything like that until I read it on this forum. It annoyed me when I did come across it; that assertion strips Hanako of her agency and implies that she isn't competent to make that decision. It infantilises her.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

MFW people are STILL on that whole "Hisao rape Hanako" shit.

Anyway, the whole thing were Hanako is fully naked and expose is because it suppose to show her opening up to Hisao by revealing her entire scared body.