Is Miki black?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Is Miki black?

Post by Silentcook »

griffon8 wrote:Hey at least he didn't include a link. :twisted:
Aw crap, beaten to the punch. :(

Anyway no, Miki ain't black. Just brown. We never dug very heavily into a backstory for her (meaning we didn't do that AT ALL, since she got only a few lines of screentime and those weren't planned either), but this specific detail never came up.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Royale

Post by Royale »

I assumed she was Japanese.
Favorite routes ;
Rin > Hanako = Lilly > Emi = Shizune
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Take it from a Vietnamese/Cherokee,

Tan asian person = brown.

The more southern the ancestry, the browner they can get, and easier.

As for Asians, Latin Americans, and Native Americans looking samey, I noticed it's just white and black folk that think that lol. To be fair, a Russian, a Brit, and an Italian all look the same to me as well lolz.

add:
As for Japanese culture:

Currently it's not really popular to get tanned. Fair skinned is the current 'Ideal'. There there are sub cultures where being tanned is popular.

In Miki's case it's probably just that she's the outdoors sports type, and doesn't wear sun block, so she gets tanned. Cause she probably doesn't care.

Post by Guest »

I've got a Japanative friend and his skin color is kind of like Miki's.
I assume she's from Southeast Asia, not India. Indian people are less tan than her.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Word of God says no, but it was plausible given her design. She doesn't follow typical anime/manga design conventions for black people, but no Western artist would have touched those conventions with a 100-foot pole anyway (they resemble blackface too strongly), and an animesque design for a black character that didn't follow those conventions probably would look a lot like Miki.

End result: you weren't totally off base. You happened to be wrong, but you could easily have been correct.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Nekken wrote:Word of God says no, but it was plausible given her design. She doesn't follow typical anime/manga design conventions for black people, but no Western artist would have touched those conventions with a 100-foot pole anyway (they resemble blackface too strongly), and an animesque design for a black character that didn't follow those conventions probably would look a lot like Miki.

End result: you weren't totally off base. You happened to be wrong, but you could easily have been correct.
Still, under that logic, she could have just as easily been Spanish, Egyptian, Hawaiian, or any other kind of dark skinned person.
Not Dead Yet
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

griffon8 wrote:
Cabulb wrote:
Beoran wrote:TV Tropes
I hate you. :P
Hey at least he didn't include a ink. :twisted:
I refer to it as a black hole that will destroy all your free time.
Hey, I do have standards you know! But there you go linking to that place! How horrible! 8)

Oddball, that's why I say "ambiguously brown" and be done with it. But if you insist, any outdoorsy Japanese who doesn' t use sun block would easily get this tan. Emi must go trough a lot of tubes of the stuff to stay that pale, so seeing we're in Japan, that's technically the most likely interpretation.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Maybe we see her when she's about to become a ganguro?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

She's native Japanese, just tanned.
Erthel

Post by Erthel »

Oddball wrote: Still, under that logic, she could have just as easily been Spanish, Egyptian, Hawaiian, or any other kind of dark skinned person.

As far as I know, spanish are white europeans just like italians or french.

It might be the correct time to demand a Miki path!
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Erthel wrote: As far as I know, spanish are white europeans just like italians or french.
Yes, but they live in warmer parts of Europe so they potentially get more sun. There are plenty of different ethnic groups within 'white european' too.
It might be the correct time to demand a Miki path!
There will never be a correct time to demand anything here.
mainframe004

Post by mainframe004 »

She lacks the badonkadonk.

"We live as we do to show the world what it could be." ~ Machinae Supremacy - Overworld

Paths: Lilly > Hanako > Rin = Emi >>> Shizune
Characters: Hanako > Rin > Shizune > Emi > Lilly
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Silentcook wrote:Anyway no, Miki ain't black. Just brown. We never dug very heavily into a backstory for her (meaning we didn't do that AT ALL, since she got only a few lines of screentime and those weren't planned either), but this specific detail never came up.
I always just assumed that she might be from the Okinawa prefecture, originally. My understanding is that there, if somewhere in Japan, it's possible to get tanned like that.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Tanned. Miki is tanned.

If I make a wild guess or assumption, she grew up in Japan near the sea, spent lots of time on the beach and--probably--is a surfer or aspired to be.

She then lost her hand due to a freak accident or a shark attack
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Bi-Polar Hernandez

Post by Bi-Polar Hernandez »

The proper term is "Delicious Brown".

Fanon has placed her as Cambodian, so that's what I'm rolling with.