Lessons Learned from KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

staecrh

Re: Anything you learned from this game

Post by staecrh »

I learned to never go running with girls, because if you have a heart attack during they will ruin your chances with anyone else.

Curse you emi, you miniature health devil.
Shizune > Hanako > Rin > Misha > Emi > Kenji > Lilly
Jackrabbitt

Re: Lessons Learned from KS

Post by Jackrabbitt »

Conversations in Sign Language (Any, take your pick) are more meaningful than regular conversations for the most part.

That I can draw pretty well, and it's a talent I'm now starting to develop.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Lessons I have learned:

Hanako fans are the best and funnest to troll and mock (hanakosuicidefanart.jpeg) and if you make fun of her in any means, they get super butthurt (She's a fucking fictional character, you nerds. Get over it.)

Visual novels are actually fun (Umineko, you're next!)

Katawa Shoujo fans are just as annoying as Megaman or post 90s FF7 fanboys

If you girlfriend's best friend is asking you to comfort her, tell her to get the fuck out of your house.

I need to take my medicine for my asthma attacks more often (and stop smoking cigars, cigarettes, and hookahs.)
Cabulb

Post by Cabulb »

I think the most important lesson everyone should have learned is that disabled people are not defined by their disabilities.

Sometimes, life just screws you over and there's nothing you can do about it except try your hardest to change it around - that way at least you can say you tried even if you fail.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Jackrabbitt wrote:Conversations in Sign Language (Any, take your pick) are more meaningful than regular conversations for the most part.

That I can draw pretty well, and it's a talent I'm now starting to develop.
Conversations in SL isn't necessarily more meaningful than regular conversations. You're viewing a storytelling perspective where the conversation between Hisao and Shizune is quite important, especially since Shizune knows Hisao already and is at least partially in love with him (and vice versa). In reality, I'd assume both spoken and signed languages are equally as meaningful, just differently represented. Just thought I'd clarify this, that you don't suddenly thing most signed conversations are important... The Deaf are just normal people too, with similar if not the same topics for conversation.

As for me: I learned to reflect on my life in a different way, to analyze my and other actions differently. And from that I learned that if I want social contacts, I have to take the initiative and make them myself, not wait for others to come. Because in the end, everyone is waiting for everyone else to come to them. [Insert some cynicism about the current society which I can't be bothered to type out :P]
Teryn

Post by Teryn »

Guess I've learned that my own disabilities shouldn't be something I'm ashamed of. It is very rough and frustrating to not be able to do what I used to, need more time for it or just refuse to do it out of pain or too much trouble.

Also learned that disabled people can exercise with the best of them. I'm at least doing Wii Tennis every day until I'm tired to build my upper body strength. Yeah, I'm talking about Emi... a lot of people are inspired by her for exercise reasons. (Geh, I should have remembered Terry Fox, too. He's a Canadian icon, for goodness sake! Name and picture on coinage and everything.)

I also learned that KS wasn't just a 4chan joke. Best trolling of VNs is to play this one straight, I think a dev said. Best mistake I ever gave a second chance to. ^_^

Um. also learned that well-developed and high quality OELVNs can exist. Gives the rest of us aspiring VN creators a higher bar to jump over, phew!

Seriously, I'm grateful for Katawa Shoujo, it was wonderful to play and hopefully play again once I stop being sick of it. ^^; (No reason, just overplayed to get a lot of the endings. I will play again.)
genei-jin

Post by genei-jin »

Several things:

I'm not the only one who felt deep emotional reactions/connections. My problems do not define me unless I allow them to.

Mostly, I learned that I Am (Not) Alone.
MajorasAnguish

Post by MajorasAnguish »

No matter what happens, life keeps moving on, either for better or for worse.
ImageImage
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Cabulb wrote:I think the most important lesson everyone should have learned is that disabled people are not defined by their disabilities.

Sometimes, life just screws you over and there's nothing you can do about it except try your hardest to change it around - that way at least you can say you tried even if you fail.
These are both amazing.

Legit lessons I've learned from this game:

1. There's people out there with my same situation and then some. I ought not to bitch about it and instead DO something.

2. I am uncomfortably attracted to handicapaple broads. :evil:
... Danger.
Redbullet612

Post by Redbullet612 »

Things I learned from KS:

1. Sweatervests bring the shoujos.
2. I have a strong attraction to those who suffer from deep personal issues, either from physical or mental ailments.
3. Sweatervests are cool.
4. I'm too obsessive over works of fiction.
5. I like sweatervests now. And so do you. Don't fucking lie.
6. We're all challenged in some way or another, and we must all learn to overcome our own problems.
7. Swaggervest. 8)
8. Hats make everything better, even burn scars. (I feel bad now..)
9. Go buy a sweatervest.
TheSongofRaven

Post by TheSongofRaven »

what i learn is that is life is never going easy to us. There is always be hard time for us. But, there is always hope. In hope and faith, i believe we can do so move on no matter what happened, and more important : Good friends always support us. I think for my self on this game, God have his own strange ways to all characters eh ?
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

1. Don't be Hisao.

2. The stuff that Cabulb said.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Redbullet612 wrote:Things I learned from KS:

1. Sweatervests bring the shoujos.
Really, I feel as if this is the central message to the game. Well done.

:twisted:
... Danger.
Mint

Post by Mint »

If anything, the novel made me a tad more appreciative of what I have. Even if I haven't still played through Shizune's and Rin's arcs.
But as another post on the forum said, the most effective way to play through is to give some intervals between arcs to have the story "sink in".

For someone who's pretty much free of any disabilities, save for bad eyesight that the characters of 3-3 would kill for, I learned that no matter what kind of a bad situation you find yourself in, it can always get worse. So the topmost thing Katawa Shoujo taught me is to stop whining about what I lack and appreciate the shit I have. Emi's arc kind of teaches you that you shouldn't let a streak of bad luck define your life. No matter how bad you have it, someone out there has it worse. The one thing I will always remember Lily's arc with is the little preach she gives you about not apologizing for what you are. That legitimately made me smile. Some things just aren't your fault, they aren't in your control. So just embrace them, learn to deal with their weight on your back and get back on your road. And Hanako, probably the arc with most impact to me, taught me that there's a story behind every face you meet on the street. And regardless of what that face looks like, regardless of what you know about them, their story might be entirely different than what you assume. That, in a way, made me less narcissistic and more open to other people's problems. Because everyone has their own problem with a story behind it. And regardless how serious they seem to you, to them, they're the most serious problems in the world.

So yeah, KS had a large impact on my way of thinking.
Which is expected from someone like me who spends 70-80% of their waking hour indoors.
But it's kind of cool how something so, on first glance, insignificant like a graphic novel can influence a person so much.

PS:
2. I have a strong attraction to those who suffer from deep personal issues, either from physical or mental ailments.
I thought I was alone on that.
The O.H.L.

Post by The O.H.L. »

http://wolvenfire86.blogspot.co.nz/2012 ... hanks.html

Here, this was in another thread somewhere. I agree with a lot of them.
Guess who's back, back, back, back again.
Not that I ever made any great contributions, but oh well, too bad.