What do you think about voice acting in KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Micijayah

Re: What do you think about voice acting in KS?

Post by Micijayah »

I think it would break the game, because it basically destroys the voice that you've imagined for yourself after completing the game. Sure it may be good for people reading the VN for the first time, but it would ruin it for people that have already completed it. An on/off button would be nice.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Pretty much what everyone else has said: voice acting would be awesome if they had the voices I have for them in my head. But invariably they won't, and that would kill it for me. I mean, how likely is it that we can get Hisakawa Aya to voice Lilly? :P (Unohana Retsu in Bleach)
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Micijayah wrote:I think it would break the game, because it basically destroys the voice that you've imagined for yourself after completing the game. Sure it may be good for people reading the VN for the first time, but it would ruin it for people that have already completed it. An on/off button would be nice.
Agreed, sorry to be a bit of a nerd but it would be like what they did to the starwars movies, but to a visual novel.
I like helping others, I just hate approaching others.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Clinton wrote:
Micijayah wrote:I think it would break the game, because it basically destroys the voice that you've imagined for yourself after completing the game. Sure it may be good for people reading the VN for the first time, but it would ruin it for people that have already completed it. An on/off button would be nice.
Agreed, sorry to be a bit of a nerd but it would be like what they did to the starwars movies, but to a visual novel.
Oh, I dunno. I'd like to see a version of the story where Kenji and Hisao struggle on the roof and Kenji ends up falling and breaking his neck. Though the rest of the story would end up being prison, courtroom drama... and the selection of potential romantic interests would consist of murderers and rapists... but it might be funny, at least. The bad endings would be gruesome and terrifying, and the good endings would be disturbing - and probably gruesome and terrifying.

It might be a little bit too much of a departure to really be categorized by the title of the VN, though.
yummines

Post by yummines »

Helbereth wrote:
Clinton wrote:
Oh, I dunno. I'd like to see a version of the story where Kenji and Hisao struggle on the roof and Kenji ends up falling and breaking his neck. Though the rest of the story would end up being prison, courtroom drama... and the selection of potential romantic interests would consist of murderers and rapists... but it might be funny, at least. The bad endings would be gruesome and terrifying, and the good endings would be disturbing - and probably gruesome and terrifying.

It might be a little bit too much of a departure to really be categorized by the title of the VN, though.
Katawa...Senein?
Sounds terrifying
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Thanks to Chilled Chaos, my head-Mutou now has the voice of Batman, Rin is nasally, and Nurse is Maximilian Pegasus.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

themocaw wrote:Nurse is Maximilian Pegasus.
What has been heard cannot be unheard. That is -fabulous-! </LK>
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

I want to hear a half scottish half japanese accent...would probably ruin her image though
$50 says I live more South than all of you
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

inquisitivenegro wrote:I want to hear a half scottish half japanese accent...would probably ruin her image though
"Come to think of it, her voice doesn't have any detectable accent either. I guess she must be half-Japanese." - the second day of Act 1. No image ruining needed
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Bad idea. The current formula of free to download visual novel with drama that blows Clannad-jaded minds out of the water works well as it is, adding voice acting is just tampering with a working formula and tempting fate far too much. When something works, it works, save the innovations for a different project. Besides, shouldn't the current priority be translating the full version into more than just English? And maybe doing a bit of editing so we know if Lilly and Hanako met that year or were old friends?
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
EmiBro

Post by EmiBro »

I actually prefer to have my own head canon. And at no point while playing KS did I think that voice acting would have added anything. I actually didn't know beforehand that it was normal for VNs to have voice acting, but now that I do, I still don't think my opinion has changed.
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

EmiBro wrote:I actually prefer to have my own head canon. And at no point while playing KS did I think that voice acting would have added anything. I actually didn't know beforehand that it was normal for VNs to have voice acting, but now that I do, I still don't think my opinion has changed.
Very true, even knowing that many Visual Novels out there have voice acting Katawa Shoujo does not need it, nor would it drastically improve the quality of gameplay.
I like helping others, I just hate approaching others.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

dwarduk wrote:
inquisitivenegro wrote:I want to hear a half scottish half japanese accent...would probably ruin her image though
"Come to think of it, her voice doesn't have any detectable accent either. I guess she must be half-Japanese." - the second day of Act 1. No image ruining needed
Not her Japanese, her English...I'm not pro enough to analyse Japanese dialects, lol
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Quantum Toast

Post by Quantum Toast »

I do kind of wonder what Misha actually sounds like when she does this~!, but besides that I'm not sure how much it'd add.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

It's either a random embellishment, or "~" is meant to represent how her voice flutters from high to low throughout her speech. I at first just thought it was to add to her personality, which seemed fairly one-dimensional before I played Shizune's route.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"