What do you think about voice acting in KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Guest Poster

Re: What do you think?

Post by Guest Poster »

Probably not a good idea at this point. Like people already said, everyone's got to know the characters and constructed their own mental image of how they should sound. A later addition of voiceover often tends to clash with this image, leaving the player turned-off. If you're gonna add voices, it's usually best to introduce them together with the characters themselves to avoid this phenomenon.

Also, voice acting on the internet is like writing. Most people think they can do it and most people overestimate themselves. Good voice-acting is pretty tough, even some professional actors tend to have trouble voice-acting because they're used to feeding off the chemistry between themselves and their co-actors and have trouble getting the inflections right when recording stuff in the booth. And in a story like KS, you need extremely skilled actors. Most people would be able to record the lines of some toughtalk-spouting space marine screaming at squadmates, but very few people would be able to get the inflection of some of the more emotional scenes in KS just right and pull it off convincingly. And it only takes one or two lines with the wrong inflection to turn a scene from a "feels"-fountain into a source of utter narm. (to use TV-Tropes terms)
xcrossfacekillahx

Post by xcrossfacekillahx »

I don't think at this point, is a good idea. People have different ideas on what their voices would be like. They would have different opinions about it. It's a big deal because while recording, everything needs to sound just as right. If it sounded wrong, then most likely some will not like it. I don't doubt the abilities of the VAs themselves but I'm fine with the way it is even without voice acting.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Kira Kira has voice acting and it really adds immersion to the game, i dont see voice acting as a bad thing on a visual novel. Ks is done, and there will be no update, but maybe, someone somewhere can make a unofficial voice acting patch. That would be nice, but i wont hold my breath.

Someone said that if there is voice acting people will argue about what voice is right for each characters, but then again, who cares? People will always argue about everything, as we say 'round here "You cant please greeks and trojans".
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Unless it's good Japanese voice acting, then yes.

Otherwise, no. Absolutely no.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

I don't understand why you'd want Japanese voice acting for something that was never in Japanese to begin with. It's not like you'd be preserving the original idiosyncrasies and details of the script, since it was originally written in English! If anything, you'd lose emotion and accuracy (just like you do converting any originally-Japanese script into an English dub).

Is it just that some people are so used to listening to anime with Japanese voice actors that they prefer that language even when it makes no sense for it to be used?
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Mirrormn wrote:
Is it just that some people are so used to listening to anime with Japanese voice actors that they prefer that language even when it makes no sense for it to be used?
On that note, how many people who want Japanese voice acting actually speak or understand Japanese?
Not Dead Yet
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

Oddball wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:
On that note, how many people who want Japanese voice acting actually speak or understand Japanese?
I think people who watch anime prefer Japanese voice acting specifically because they don't understand it. It's harder to discern when a voice actor speaking a foreign language is acting good or bad, and it's easier to spot bad acting in a language you understand. At least that's what I think. I still prefer English voice acting done well over Japanese voice acting.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Fretless wrote:
Oddball wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:
I think people who watch anime prefer Japanese voice acting specifically because they don't understand it. It's harder to discern when a voice actor speaking a foreign language is acting good or bad, and it's easier to spot bad acting in a language you understand. At least that's what I think. I still prefer English voice acting done well over Japanese voice acting.
Agreed. I prefer Japanese or English dubs, but for some reason i cant stand Portuguese dubs, it annoys me.
Maybe Anime and Visual Novels are the sort of thing that are not made to be heard on your mother tongue.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

Mirrormn wrote:I don't understand why you'd want Japanese voice acting for something that was never in Japanese to begin with.
I think it's because the game is set in Japan, the characters are "speaking" Japanese (even if we are getting it in English), and it is imitating a Japanese visual novel.
Having the characters actually speaking in English would be terribly out of place and would feel like a dubbed over version even if it wasn't in reality.

If we are talking about "immersion", nothing breaks immersion for me faster then a Japanese (or French, German, ect...) character "speaking" their native language but having it come out English.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

If we are talking about "immersion", nothing breaks immersion for me faster then a Japanese (or French, German, ect...) character "speaking" their native language but having it come out English.
and I can't get immersed in characters speaking something that's simply gibberish to me. I've tried. It doesn't work for me. I get more enjoyment out of silent movies than I do subtitled ones.

It appears we are at a stalemate. :|
Not Dead Yet
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

Oddball wrote:I get more enjoyment out of silent movies than I do subtitled ones.
Well we do have a "silent" game (aside from music obviously)... Seems like we are already at that compromise, no?
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

while I agree that adding VO's for the game would be cool, I read rather fast so I'm fine without any VO work.
eleventhirtyeight

Post by eleventhirtyeight »

Personally, I think it's great without voice acting, and perhaps adding voices would take away from it...I'm not going to repeat what anyone else has said because I essentially agree...I just like the music and the text and the pictures together, it's calm, and I think voices would change that too much. :)
Sunlight will shine on my life again, so let the past burn now down in flames.

Alas, earwax!

[insert witty or interesting something here]
FelixITA

Post by FelixITA »

dawg...
Last edited by FelixITA on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdventSign

Post by AdventSign »

Voice acting would not break the game, but I think it would make it worse. I like imagining what each character would sound like and the wrong set of voices can really ruin a character's personality.