Curious little experience I had today.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirrormn

Re: Curious little experience I had today.

Post by Mirrormn »

Tomate wrote:A nice experience, but i don't think its a great idea to start a conversation with her on sign language, aye, you can ask her "how are you" with sign language, but what will you do when she answer with a series of signs of her own?
Indeed, you better practice your signs for "Sorry, I don't understand, I only started learning sign language a few days ago".
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

metalangel wrote:Google reveals that "thank you" in Auslan is the same as it is in ASL: palm of your dominant hand towards you, touch chin with fingers and move hand away (hand held flat, movement not unlike blowing a kiss). Is that what she did for you, BlackWaltz?
Just don't actually kiss your fingers. That apparently means, "Kiss off."

My dad found this out by accident.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

One thing man. If you ever get your chance, don't date her 'cause she's deaf. That's not a proper reason.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

themocaw wrote:
My dad found this out by accident.
:lol:

ASL for morning is very similar to the "bras d'honneur" (equivalent to the middle finger in many parts of Europe and also South America) except your hand is open. I was conscious of this when my gf and I were practicing sign on a trip to London, in case an Italian tourist thought we meant them!

NoOne3 wrote:One thing man. If you ever get your chance, don't date her 'cause she's deaf. That's not a proper reason.
He also noticed she was hot. :o
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

Well done.
Funnily enough, I started my course in Auslan this week also.

Deaf Services QLD offer courses in Auslan.
And if your involved in some form of Customer Service role in your Job. You may even qualify to claim it as a Training Expense on your Tax return
(Or get your work to pick up the cost) :D
For Queen and Country
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Good show, OP. Well done.

I had a similar experience once. Coincidentally, also in a train. A deaf dude came into my train car, and tried to gesture something to the few passengers sitting there, then he came to me. He had a cigarette, and used his fingers on the other hand to make gestures about lighting the cigarette. It dawned to me that the poor guy didn't have a lighter or matches, and it seemed that I was the only guy in the train with a fire tool. I showed him my Zippo and saved the dude's day. I lit up his fag in the smoker's compartment, and gave him a thumb up. He seemed pretty satisfied. It went pretty well, considering we didn't have a common language.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

metalangel wrote:Google reveals that "thank you" in Auslan is the same as it is in ASL: palm of your dominant hand towards you, touch chin with fingers and move hand away (hand held flat, movement not unlike blowing a kiss). Is that what she did for you, BlackWaltz?
alien.marksman wrote:Well done.
Funnily enough, I started my course in Auslan this week also.
Indeed it is. That's another sign memorised. Best of luck in your own studies, sirs.
metalangel wrote:
Tomate wrote:A nice experience, but i don't think its a great idea to start a conversation with her on sign language, aye, you can ask her "how are you" with sign language, but what will you do when she answer with a series of signs of her own?
Learn the signs for "don't know" and "sign language", maybe also "learn" "want" "help" and "please". Oh, and "slow".
Or just punch that into your phone and show her so she understands.
EDIT: "hearing" also a useful one.
I think she will appreciate the sentiment, at the very least. Of course, if I find I cannot understand her, its easy enough to say so. Especially if I learn the signs metalangel lists.
themocaw wrote:Just don't actually kiss your fingers. That apparently means, "Kiss off." My dad found this out by accident.
Duly noted. Thanks, themocaw.
metalangel wrote:
NoOne3 wrote:One thing man. If you ever get your chance, don't date her 'cause she's deaf. That's not a proper reason.
He also noticed she was hot. :o
That she was. And perhaps a very interesting and possibly smart person too, who knows? Of course, I wouldn't date her simply because she's deaf and I'm a cripple fucker; firstly I've not such fetish or whatever you call it and secondly I'm not that shallow. Or at least, that's what I think I am.

Everyone else; thanks for the words of support and encouragement. Really hoping I see her again, however slim the chances may be.
Cheers, BlackWaltz.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it!

That was an awfully good thing of you to do. Frankly I am an embarrassingly lazy and selfish person, so even just the idea of doing something like that probably wouldn't have even come to me.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

Life is kinda cool sometimes.
Kudos if you get that reference.

I couldn't help but smile. I really hope you can date her if you geniunely feel something for her.
I really hate when I idiotically restrain myself from doing something I should. I'm glad that you are not like that. That's being proactive.
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Xerxes wrote:Life is kinda cool sometimes.
Kudos if you get that reference.

I couldn't help but smile. I really hope you can date her if you geniunely feel something for her.
I really hate when I idiotically restrain myself from doing something I should. I'm glad that you are not like that. That's being proactive.
I dont know why, but that is the coolest thing Ive heard all day...

Had the urge to write that, no idea why

BUT, as to the OP I am jealous. Sign language hardly makes any sense to me no matter how hard I try to learn it
TheMaskedWriter

Post by TheMaskedWriter »

Well done, Black. I'm proud you took the initiative to help out a family in need.
We can all put a little more goodwill out into the world.
Libra

Post by Libra »

Great story but you didn't get her number...

:_(
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote: I think she will appreciate the sentiment, at the very least. Of course, if I find I cannot understand her, its easy enough to say so. Especially if I learn the signs metalangel lists.
The sentiment will probably be appreciated, yes. I have heard from a number of Deaf people their frustration that their own (hearing) families aren't that interested in learning and using sign with them. Whenever there's a language barrier I think it is crucial you clearly communicate that you do not understand their language well, so they can try to accomodate. Writing it down is probably best to start with, both to avoid them thinking you're fluent and to avoid accidentally misunderstandings due to mispronunciation or mis-signing (is that a word?)
Camoufrage wrote:BUT, as to the OP I am jealous. Sign language hardly makes any sense to me no matter how hard I try to learn it
Really? Which one have you tried? I like what I've seen of ASL so far. It's clever and efficient. Many signs are symbolic too: hours, minutes and seconds look like clock movements while the signs for parts of the day remind me of the position of the sun in the sky. I really wish I had proper professional instruction, though.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

metalangel wrote: Really? Which one have you tried? I like what I've seen of ASL so far. It's clever and efficient. Many signs are symbolic too: hours, minutes and seconds look like clock movements while the signs for parts of the day remind me of the position of the sun in the sky. I really wish I had proper professional instruction, though.
There's a lot of onomatopoeia in ASL. Well instead of it is what it sounds like, it is what it looks like. Octopus and rainbow for example are hilariously straightforward.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Add my voice to the people saying well done.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic