Straight Female
8%
Lesbian Female
4%

Total votes: 947

eleventhirtyeight

Re: What gender are most KS fans?

Post by eleventhirtyeight »

Well I'm a straight female :) I'm actually surprised at the ratio of male to female fans, I avtually thought there would be more girls...although I do think this poll isn't the best representation...I actually can see the appeal to males rather than females though.
Sunlight will shine on my life again, so let the past burn now down in flames.

Alas, earwax!

[insert witty or interesting something here]
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Murex wrote:Interesting. I would've guessed the ratio would be about 70-30 between guys and girls, sexuality aside. I remember reading a lot of posts by female fans before the game came out; I wonder if the fanbase has become more male since then. Or maybe guys are just more likely to respond to polls about gender.
I think this shows the forums are very male, but I don't think the fanbase at large is quite such a fête de la saucisse as all that. 70/30 sounds about right, though I have no means of supporting that.

Tangentially sorta related, here's a charming young woman who comes close to losing her composure when describing how beautiful KS is and how it dropped a feel-anvil on her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0S3Vc8VNVc
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Before this thread, I've seen exactly one poster identify themselves as female.

This is highly educational.

How does the female readership break down as far as favorite characters?
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

WorldlyWiseman wrote: How does the female readership break down as far as favorite characters?
I don't see how any female could resist Hisao's sweater vest, to be honest.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Mirrormn wrote:
WorldlyWiseman wrote: How does the female readership break down as far as favorite characters?
This.
His swaggerrific sweater vest.
"Don't die!"
~Anonymous
yummines

Post by yummines »

"The etiquette of Eroge is a single person's dark lonely pleasure. This is the truth!"

i know KS is more like a VN then an Eroge but you get the point. Considering the main character is male and there is no gay option and no way to have a female lead... (unless thats exactly what the bad ending is. dont spoil it. then again maybe im better off not knowing).
Titus

Post by Titus »

Laughed hard at the amount for straight males compared to the rest. But it was kinda expected :mrgreen:
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Titus wrote:Laughed hard at the amount for straight males compared to the rest. But it was kinda expected :mrgreen:
I want to know though. How do girls feel about this game? I didnt think many chicks would play it, because of what most people expect when they first start playing...
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

I know a girl who loves it, but she told me she only played because I suggested it to her.
eleventhirtyeight

Post by eleventhirtyeight »

Mirrormn wrote:
The sweatervest <3
But as far as the girls go, I find Shizune really interesting. I haven't played through all the paths yet though, sooooo... :)
Also, Nurse. *swoons*
Sunlight will shine on my life again, so let the past burn now down in flames.

Alas, earwax!

[insert witty or interesting something here]
Royale

Post by Royale »

The O.H.L. wrote:
Dawnstorm wrote:Bi-sexuals can't vote. I'm not bi-sexual, but if I was, I couldn't vote.
If I were, which I'm not, I'd probably vote gay or lesbian just to split it from the plain straight group. Also, if the person is bi, wouldn't they put the one they prefer? I don't understand how it is for those that are bi so please don't rage at my ignorance.
Ehhhh. I don't think a bisexual person would very much appreciate having their sexuality not included in this. A bisexual person is neither gay or straight so why would they be compelled to choose that option?
Favorite routes ;
Rin > Hanako = Lilly > Emi = Shizune
Titus

Post by Titus »

Royale wrote:
The O.H.L. wrote:
Dawnstorm wrote:Bi-sexuals can't vote. I'm not bi-sexual, but if I was, I couldn't vote.
If I were, which I'm not, I'd probably vote gay or lesbian just to split it from the plain straight group. Also, if the person is bi, wouldn't they put the one they prefer? I don't understand how it is for those that are bi so please don't rage at my ignorance.
Ehhhh. I don't think a bisexual person would very much appreciate having their sexuality not included in this. A bisexual person is neither gay or straight so why would they be compelled to choose that option?
It didn't have to be this way. The OP could have just let it be about gender as the thread title said it would be!
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Titus wrote:It didn't have to be this way. The OP could have just let it be about gender as the thread title said it would be!
Still funny though. If the OP is 'what gender are most KS fans', doesn't that meant the only options available are:
-Male
-Female

Unless there's a new gender called 'Duke', 'Chuck', and 'Russian', then there should only be two options on gender.
Bisexual, straight, gay, lesbian, etc...those are preferences ain't it?

Come on, you're not gonna' find those in the immigration ticket if you're arriving on a foreign country! I'll eat that paper if I find more gender options rather than 'male' and 'female'
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Oh dear. I'm sensing the onset of some university washroom politics.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Breaker deGodot

Post by Breaker deGodot »

Megumeru wrote:
Titus wrote:It didn't have to be this way. The OP could have just let it be about gender as the thread title said it would be!
Still funny though. If the OP is 'what gender are most KS fans', doesn't that meant the only options available are:
-Male
-Female

Unless there's a new gender called 'Duke', 'Chuck', and 'Russian', then there should only be two options on gender.
Bisexual, straight, gay, lesbian, etc...those are preferences ain't it?

Come on, you're not gonna' find those in the immigration ticket if you're arriving on a foreign country! I'll eat that paper if I find more gender options rather than 'male' and 'female'
On the whole you're correct, I probably should've just left it as male and female. Still, the intent of the thread is still clear so it's not THAT big of a deal.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
-Francis Bacon