Alot like Kana ??

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

rydiafan

Alot like Kana ??

Post by rydiafan »

Simple Question .... was Kana little sister motivation for KS ??

Im loving Kana alot and i noticed some simularities between the two ... nothing big mind you but for one how the H-scenes are more story based then a fan service , the style of writing and the music is used to drive the story

im love ks more at this point but kana as a character is stunning ... she almost belongs in KS ( the writing is on par with ks )
Hisao Nakai

Re: Alot like Kana ??

Post by Hisao Nakai »

I've never heard of Kana, so I can't tell you that.

What I can tell you is the motivation for this game came from this image on 4CHAN.

100% Completion - I <3 Lilly! - Where's the Miki Route?
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Hisao Nakai wrote:I've never heard of Kana, so I can't tell you that.

What I can tell you is the motivation for this game came from this image on 4CHAN.

[img]
That image only inspired the main idea and character design for Umineko no Naku Koro NI.

Anyway, KS drew many of inspiration from other visual novels so maybe Kana was one of the main ones.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Snow_Storm wrote: That image only inspired the main idea and character design for Umineko no Naku Koro NI.

....huh? Umineko?
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D

Post by Guest »

Sajomir wrote: ....huh? Umineko?
Umineko is a VN known for having terrible art. Though, Higurashi is worse than even that and more or less unplayable without the graphics patch.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Snow_Storm wrote:
Hisao Nakai wrote:I've never heard of Kana, so I can't tell you that.

That image only inspired the main idea and character design for Umineko no Naku Koro NI.

Anyway, KS drew many of inspiration from other visual novels so maybe Kana was one of the main ones.

Sorry Snow Storm, but you would be wrong. If you read the KS blog, you'd know that image is specifically what started interest in making KS.

Kana was written to use tragedy to effect the player's emotions. Its a damn depressing game to me. While KS was rather inspiring.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Daitengu wrote:
Kana was written to use tragedy to effect the player's emotions. Its a damn depressing game to me. While KS was rather inspiring.
i love Kana because of that .... well i like KS a little more ( more girls for more verity ) ... Kana drained me of my tear ... i found it was much sadder .. much more touching when the happy moments happen ( which are few and far between ) ... KS is uplifting after a bad moment ... Kana Keeps kicking you when your down

I recommend playing it for only the ppl who can handle it emotionally ... because its down right depressing ( and i only got 1 of 6 endings lol ... i need a hug )
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Guest wrote:
Sajomir wrote: ....huh? Umineko?
Umineko is a VN known for having terrible art. Though, Higurashi is worse than even that and more or less unplayable without the graphics patch.
Shit,the artwork for this CG is better than the entire art for the PC version of Umineko/Higurashi.

compare to this:

Pretty obvious that Katawa Shoujo has the better art.

Anyway, on the subject of me saying RAITA's artwork inspired Umineko: I meant to say that his artwork inspired Katawa Shoujo, NOT Umineko no Naku Koro Shit.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

As far as I can remember, none of the developers mentioned anything about Kana - Little Sister being an influence for KS. And while there are some similarities between both games, on the other hand there are obvious differences as well.

Both games obviously stand out due to their exceptionally deep and meaningful story-lines, but in comparison Katawa Shoujo is a little bit more light-hearted and less gloomy, while Kana - Little Sister is more melodramatic and tear-jerking. Since KLS is my all-time favourite among computer games, when I learned about KS I was happy to have an opportunity to play another game with comparable depth and force of expression - there are definitely not many games out there which are able to reach that level and allow that much of emotional attachment.

And although it is indeed a very sad story, I'd still characterize KLS not as much as a depressing, but rather as a quite uplifting experience. Nevertheless, if you intend to play it, be prepared to watch poor Kana die (in five of six possible endings); and even the "good ending" isn't really a cheerful one. Still it's certainly worth-while to give it a try if you want a game that is able to keep pace with the quality of writing and the amiability of the characters we enjoy so much in Katawa Shoujo.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Guest wrote:As far as I can remember, none of the developers mentioned anything about Kana - Little Sister being an influence for KS. And while there are some similarities between both games, on the other hand there are obvious differences as well.

Both games obviously stand out due to their exceptionally deep and meaningful story-lines, but in comparison Katawa Shoujo is a little bit more light-hearted and less gloomy, while Kana - Little Sister is more melodramatic and tear-jerking. Since KLS is my all-time favourite among computer games, when I learned about KS I was happy to have an opportunity to play another game with comparable depth and force of expression - there are definitely not many games out there which are able to reach that level and allow that much of emotional attachment.

And although it is indeed a very sad story, I'd still characterize KLS not as much as a depressing, but rather as a quite uplifting experience. Nevertheless, if you intend to play it, be prepared to watch poor Kana die (in five of six possible endings); and even the "good ending" isn't really a cheerful one. Still it's certainly worth-while to give it a try if you want a game that is able to keep pace with the quality of writing and the amiability of the characters we enjoy so much in Katawa Shoujo.
yeap i got 2 of the endings ... and the yumi ending is fucked up to say the least ... and the best ending is quite depressing as well
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It's true, the Yumi ending is indeed strange; but I think it still fits quite well with the general tone of the story. My favourites are the "intellectual endings" (# 5 and # 6), though; in my opinion, the intellectual path contains some of the most touching scenes of the game, like the trip to the ocean, the farewell at Kana's deathbed, Taka's dream, or Taka reading Kana's diary; really sad, but at the same time really, really good.

Maybe my predilection for sad stories is the reason why I liked Rin's path the most when playing KS, even though Hanako is my favourite character in the game; but when following Rin's path there was a lot of that gloom and sombreness I love so much about Kana - Little Sister.
Last edited by Bookworm on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Bookworm wrote:It's true, the Yumi ending is indeed strange; but I think it still fits quite well with the general tone of the story. My favourites are the "intellectual endings" (# 5 and # 6), though; in my opinion, the intellectual path contains some of the most touching scenes of the game, like the trip to the ocean, the farewell at Kana's deathbed, Taka's dream, or Taka reading Kana's diary; really sad, but at the same time really, really good.

Maybe my predilection for sad stories is the reason why I liked Rin's path the most when playing KS, even though Hanako is my favourite character in the game; but when following Rin's path there was a lot of that gloom and sombreness I love so much about Kana - Little Sister.
god please use the spoiler tags ... i only got 2 endings as i said ... but i love KLS
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Sorry, I surely didn't intend to spoil anything for you. I haven't used spoiler tags before, but I'll try to add them from now on.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Bookworm wrote:Sorry, I surely didn't intend to spoil anything for you. I haven't used spoiler tags before, but I'll try to add them from now on.
no prob ..... i know u didn't do it on purpose ... Kana rocks
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

I just finished one possible path through Kana - Little Sister. It had its moments. I feel a bit drained right now. The ending hurts. Its definitely emotional, and it does not leave you on a high note like KS does if you get a good ending. With a good ending KS will kill you, then bring you up again and your alright. Kana leaves you almost feeling dead. (at least in the path I got, Im not sure if any of the other possible ones are different).

I can see where they would have some similarities. KS is about getting around your problems and living your life. Kana is about living life to its fullest until the very end.

As far as writing goes, I think KS is far better. I wasnt impressed with the overall writing in Kana. At all. The h-scenes were painful, though better than some because they werent just smut. Even though Kana had moments that made me smile, and others that made me nearly start sobbing, I think the difference between Kana and Katawa Shoujo is night and day. Ive played a few VNs, and none of them have touched Katawa Shoujo.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.