Replaying KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

retroraygun

Replaying KS

Post by retroraygun »

I had completed KS (100%) about a month or two ago, and wondered if it would ever really have replayability down the line. Would I get some nostalgic feels? Would the game be better, worse, or the same the second time around? I've gone back to specific scenes via the gallery, but I've never really just sat down and replayed any story line in full.

Really, I'm interested to hear thoughts on replaying KS, and if you have, what it was like. Thoughts?
I'm an Engineer

Re: Replaying KS

Post by I'm an Engineer »

From what people have said, they do enjoy going through KS a second time as it can help you understand the routes better than you did the first time round.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I did it, was still quite enjoyable but didn't get quite the impact of the first run. But that's to be expected. As he said, it allows you to notice nuisances that can be better understood after seeing the big picture
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."
Hisao Nakai

Post by Hisao Nakai »

It took me a while to get to 100% the first time, but I think I would definitely want to come back in a month or two and do it again.

One of the best parts of going a second time around is, you're able to experiment a little more. The first time, you want to get to 100%, and see all the endings, so you try to make the right choices to pursue a certain girl, but the second time, you can just choose freely and see what you end up with. xD
100% Completion - I <3 Lilly! - Where's the Miki Route?
Logan812

Post by Logan812 »

I like to think of it like watching The Matrix again after a while. You don't get quite the impact and amazement of the first time, but you understand it better and find it even more enjoyable.
Favorite Routes in Order: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
Favorite Characters: Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin > Emi
SirLadette

Post by SirLadette »

The only route I replayed in it's entirety was Rin's because I got distracted by the flowery language the first time through and didn't give her a fair shake. Aside from that i've only looked at a couple of scenes in Shizune's and Lilly's routes in the gallery.

Once i've seen everything there is to see of something I usually get bored of it pretty quickly.
Ship all the characters!

Reppin' Team Misha, all day ere-day.
Felgenhauer

Post by Felgenhauer »

I've been meaning to play through it again, but I can't get myself to do it, just yet. I want to come back to it when the story is no longer fresh in my head and I'm able to relive the experience.
Favorite Routes:
Lilly > Hanako > Emi > Shizune > Rin
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

You'd probably need to leave it a very long time, and even then a lot of moments will trigger memories.
Felgenhauer

Post by Felgenhauer »

Yeah, I know that, but I believe I'll be able to come back to it down the road and appreciate it the same way I did the first time I played it. The amazement and wonder of what will happen next will most likely be gone, but I know I'll still feel the same way about it.
Favorite Routes:
retroraygun

Post by retroraygun »

Hisao Nakai wrote:It took me a while to get to 100% the first time, but I think I would definitely want to come back in a month or two and do it again.

One of the best parts of going a second time around is, you're able to experiment a little more. The first time, you want to get to 100%, and see all the endings, so you try to make the right choices to pursue a certain girl, but the second time, you can just choose freely and see what you end up with. xD
That's a good point, I always used the guide because I was more interested in the story opposed to the choices. Except for the first playthrough, in which I got Emi, and then I enjoyed her story a lot more than I thought I would. But yeah, I might do that! :U
Aili

Post by Aili »

Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum, despite lurking since the beginning of March.

I think that there is some kind of replay value to KS - maybe you won't get the ''feels'' you got on your first play, but you'll be able to understand some routes better, and learn to appreciate the little details that you may have not noticed the first time you played.
In my case, I have 100%, and a replay of Shizune's route made me not only understand her better, but to see the little things she did for Hisao, and how much she cared for him. Rin's route, however, was a bit hard for me to understand at first, and while I got the good ending in my first play, I had to replay to get her even better than before. It was all worth it.

And of course, the occasional replay of Lilly's good ending - it's my favorite route, and it's too good to only play it once...
Lilly > Misha> Shizune > Hanako > Emi > Rin
Hisao Nakai

Post by Hisao Nakai »

Aili wrote:Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum, despite lurking since the beginning of March.

I think that there is some kind of replay value to KS - maybe you won't get the ''feels'' you got on your first play, but you'll be able to understand some routes better, and learn to appreciate the little details that you may have not noticed the first time you played.
In my case, I have 100%, and a replay of Shizune's route made me not only understand her better, but to see the little things she did for Hisao, and how much she cared for him. Rin's route, however, was a bit hard for me to understand at first, and while I got the good ending in my first play, I had to replay to get her even better than before. It was all worth it.

And of course, the occasional replay of Lilly's good ending - it's my favorite route, and it's too good to only play it once...
Welcome! You have such great tastes! (Lilly lover xD)

I think I definitely need to run through Rin's route a few more times to completely understand it.
100% Completion - I <3 Lilly! - Where's the Miki Route?
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

I highly recommend reading Rin's route several times. I didn't even start to understand it well until my second time through. Shizune's route is pretty similar in that respect.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Felgenhauer

Post by Felgenhauer »

Mirrormn wrote:I highly recommend reading Rin's route several times. I didn't even start to understand it well until my second time through. Shizune's route is pretty similar in that respect.
After completing both, for a first time, I felt unsatisfied. Maybe going back a second or third time might change that, I can't be sure. All I know is that going through Rin's route was a tough read for me. I felt so distant and it was hard for me to feel any sort of connection, although I think that's the entire point. Shizune's route just felt uneventful. Well, it doesn't help that I completed Hanako's route, right before. If I replay this sometime soon, it will most likely be to understand Rin's story and relive Hanako's and Lilly's. I can't put into words how much Lilly's route affected me.
Favorite Routes:
Izzy_t/r

Post by Izzy_t/r »

It's always fun to take a trip down memory lane especially when it's playing a fun game like KS.
Shut up heart! Since when I ever listen to you anyways? .......HHNNNGGG!!!!