An ongoing play through Rin's arc

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

horizon

An ongoing play through Rin's arc

Post by horizon »

Hello. This will be a kind of a "let's play KS" experiment, where I'll be going through Rin's arc and posting my thoughts and reporting on my progress. It's not intended to be a comprehensive walkthrough or a guide. I won't be covering every scene, just the things that caught my interest.

Note that I have previously completed two other paths but not Rin's, so beyond Act 1 I'm basically going at it blindly. Please don't post here any spoilers to scenes I haven't seen yet. Comments are welcome, but I want to enjoy this story without knowledge of things to come. If I end up making stupid decisions and crashing headlong into a bad ending, so be it.

I expect trying to understand Rin will be a big challenge to me. I couldn't really make sense of her on my previous times on KS, from the few scenes she actually appears in. She comes across as a likeable personality, but one that's difficult to approach. Hopefully Hisao will be able to solve the puzzle.

All that said, I'll get on with reporting my progress so far:
So I started from the beginning, reading through the prologue and most of Act 1, doing my best to dodge all the other girls' paths at decision points. It seems that Rin is unique in this way (among others ;)) that there aren't any decisions obviously leading to her arc until after you've lost your chances with everyone else.

After reading through familiar scenes, I got to one where Rin was finishing her mural and Hisao again ended up helping by mixing the paints for her. There he met the art class teacher and half-assedly asked to join the art club. Obviously this decision is important to open Rin's path, but the whole thing felt a bit forced to me. It's already been established that Hisao doesn't like the idea of joining a club just for the sake of being in one (he was relieved to learn it wasn't mandatory in Yamaku), but now he's suddenly joining one despite not having any real interest in art? I guess that's something I'll just have to overlook.

During the festival day Rin and Hisao spent hours sitting and doing nothing. Except talking about interpretation of art. And clouds. Then they felt asleep by the wall and were woken up after dark when the fireworks started. That was a very nice scene with some existentialist talk about impermanence of things and stuff. Also, Hisao is apparently a hopeless cynic.

The cinematic for Act 2 was pretty cute, if also odd. Hisao wakes Rin from her sleep but when she looks around, he's nowhere to be seen? And there were plenty of clouds too. I guess those are supposed to be symbolic of Rin's mind - her having 'clouds in her head' as in the name of the final scene from Act 1?

Hisao entered the art club for the first time, and tried to paint Rin's portrait. She questioned him twice if he's enjoying being there. That really got me wondering whether she was having any fun being there herself. So far she's never really looked very happy while painting, neither when working on the mural nor Hisao's portrait, although she definitely puts a lot of effort into it. Of corse Hisao wouldn't think of returning the question, leaving it hanging in my mind.

There was also a decision to be made, the first one in Rin's path. I took the option where Hisao gripes about his own lack of talent instead of just generically praising Rin. That second option struck me as boringly plain, and I don't think Rin's the type to give a damn about flattery anyway.
And that's how far I've gotten by now.
Murkglow

Re: An ongoing play through Rin's arc

Post by Murkglow »

I always felt Hisao just joined because he was moderately interested in Rin (not necessarily in a relationship way just in a curiosity kinda way).
It didn't feel too forced to me so much as she really seemed to be the entire reason for him joining, along with a mild case of "Well why not? I've got nothing better to do."

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the path and look forward to seeing how you feel about the rest of it.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
megiddo

Post by megiddo »

Murkglow wrote:I always felt Hisao just joined because he was moderately interested in Rin (not necessarily in a relationship way just in a curiosity kinda way).
It didn't feel too forced to me so much as she really seemed to be the entire reason for him joining, along with a mild case of "Well why not? I've got nothing better to do."
True. The Rin path Hisao seems like an indecisive, uninterested loser.
horizon

Post by horizon »

So Hisao's started wondering whether he looks as gloomy as in the portrait Rin painted of him, and if he should be smiling more often. I think he's being way too concerned. Can't see how he's going to get any more cheerful spending so much time worrying about it.

While chatting with Yuuko he expressed his amazament of the liveliness of Yamaku students compared to his old school. I had to decide whether it makes him feel "stuck" or refreshed by it. Neither option really seemed to make much sense to me, but I went with the latter.

Then there was the track meet. Rin & Hisao met Emi's mom and watched Emi beat everyone at 4 sprinting events in a row. Rin's remark about Emi being at her Emiest when running led to perhaps the most interesting revelation about Rin so far, when she told him that she feels unsure about who she really is. The scene just cut off then and there, leaving me wondering about the signifigance of this.

Hopefully there'll be more light shed on it soon. And that Hisao will eventually let Rin listen to his heart ^_^

p.s. Emi's mom is pretty hot ^_-
p.p.s. Am I just imagining it, or is Rin's path mottled with Freudian slips? I think I've spotted at least three so far.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

horizon wrote: p.p.s. Am I just imagining it, or is Rin's path mottled with Freudian slips? I think I've spotted at least three so far.
Are you sure you're using the term correctly? I recall a fair bit of innuendo in Rin's route, but most of it seemed intentional (it's only a Freudian slip if it's unintentional).
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
horizon

Post by horizon »

You're right it would be better called innuendo. Although while it's intentional by the writer(s), the characters who say those lines presumably do so unintentionally.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

horizon wrote:the characters who say those lines presumably do so unintentionally.
I don't really remember that happening. Examples?
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

I don't think Rin's comments were "unintentional" on her part (she said what she wanted to say using appropriate words) but at the same time I don't think she meant them as innuendo. All of her comments can be taken fairly literally and are appropriate to the situation. "Do you want me to use my mouth or my feet?" and "I prefer doing it horizontal" (those probably aren't exact quotes but close enough) are the two that come to mind. The first is a valid question for her to ask, seeing as people might feel awkward regarding her disability and one drawing method might seem less awkward for them then another (also her teacher probably wanted her to practice both methods so this could be seen as asking which skill to practice, though I don't think the game says this). The second is a simple statement regarding the fact that it's easier for her to paint while in a horizontal position, again due to her disability. I don't think we're given any indication that she is messing with Hisao (it's been a while since I read it though, I plan on reading it again tomorrow night) and she isn't using the wrong words for what she wants to say so... *Shrug*
Favorite Routes:
amentoraz

Post by amentoraz »

I agree Hisao isn't really interested in Art, he's just somewhat interested in Rin and he probably has some "well why not?" reasons behind joining. He might want to get closer to her, but I doubt he really wants to "understand" her nor gets the sort of effort this would require.

First time I played through the festival with them falling asleep against the wall, I was dumbfounded when he complains she was leaning against him. Had I been through what Hisao's lived and suddenly find myself in such an ever-present, watching the fireworks, and with Rin asleep over me,... I would have never wanted such present moment to change into any other thing, and at the very least my eyes would have been wet from such display of beauty all around me. It would have stayed in me as one of my most beautiful memories.

This created in me the feeling that Hisao would never be able to understand Rin, even if he could ever think he did.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hisao entered the art club for the first time, and tried to paint Rin's portrait. She questioned him twice if he's enjoying being there. That really got me wondering whether she was having any fun being there herself.
Also keep in mind that in Act1, Hisao said that the art club sounds like it's full of interesting people (or something to that affect) and Rin looks bored and says "not really".
Not Dead Yet
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

amentoraz wrote:First time I played through the festival with them falling asleep against the wall, I was dumbfounded when he complains she was leaning against him. Had I been through what Hisao's lived and suddenly find myself in such an ever-present, watching the fireworks, and with Rin asleep over me,... I would have never wanted such present moment to change into any other thing, and at the very least my eyes would have been wet from such display of beauty all around me. It would have stayed in me as one of my most beautiful memories.
I don't think Hisao was complaining about the act itself, but the numbness in his arm. The part about her proximity was more about "awkwardness" and showing just how different Rin is. From what I understand from my average teenage life, falling asleep on someone you barely know is something that doesn't usually happen, not taboo (Unless you're leaning against another guy), just strange.
amentoraz

Post by amentoraz »

Another Guest wrote:
amentoraz wrote:First time I played through the festival with them falling asleep against the wall, I was dumbfounded when he complains she was leaning against him. Had I been through what Hisao's lived and suddenly find myself in such an ever-present, watching the fireworks, and with Rin asleep over me,... I would have never wanted such present moment to change into any other thing, and at the very least my eyes would have been wet from such display of beauty all around me. It would have stayed in me as one of my most beautiful memories.
I don't think Hisao was complaining about the act itself, but the numbness in his arm. The part about her proximity was more about "awkwardness" and showing just how different Rin is. From what I understand from my average teenage life, falling asleep on someone you barely know is something that doesn't usually happen, not taboo (Unless you're leaning against another guy), just strange.
Hmmm its strange, I wouldn't think it that awkward, even if I'm not an outgoing/extrovert person at all. Nor would it happen to those around me. I could trade the numbness for the warmth any day. Also specially if I like the girl :)

Now that I think of it that might be a cultural thing, I'm spanish and we're used to and appreciate a lot of physical contact. There's people who'd fall asleep on someone s/he barely knows. Its not everyone and I wouldn't do it, but its not *that* strange either. Maybe leaning like that is specially awkward in Japan.
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

amentoraz wrote:Maybe leaning like that is specially awkward in Japan.
Everything is more awkward in Japan (well Anime Japan at least). Casual contact is eyebrow raising activity and confessions of love are heart attack inducing acts.
Favorite Routes:
horizon

Post by horizon »

Time for a new update ^^

After another art club meeting, featuring Nomiya's "discussion circle", Rin went to sort her thoughts under the worry tree, with Hisao tagging along. I learned about her doubts regarding where she should be heading as an artist and how she feels about the proposed gallery exhibition. Hisao though that her problems mirrored his own, and upon the decision point I determined that he wants to be more like her, rather than being more like Emi.

Come the next art club scene Rin confided to Hisao that she feels that she's struggling to express herself by words and is having problems remembering things. She thinks there must be something wrong with her. Painting is her way to preserve her thoughts, so that she wouldn't forget them.

When Nomiya appeared, Rin suddenly told Hisao that she fears change, and didn't know if she could change herself to fulfill the art teacher's wishes even if she tried. I had to make a decision right away, but all three options meant encouraging her to have her works put on display. Out of those choises I elected to telling her that she should do it anyway just because she can. Hisao made a jerk of himself at wording it, calling her wishy-washy. She didn't like that and left. -_-

I'm starting to dislike Nomiya. It seems to me that he is pressuring Rin out of his own vanity, to see one of his students attain success now that his own art career is over for a reason he wouldn't reveal. And he hasn't really shown much consideration for her wishes.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Walking back in the rain from Emi's Shanghai-derailed picnic, Rin and Hisao had an interesting conversation under the umbrella. Is her feeling of disconnect the reason why she's into painting, as Hisao suspects?

Next day they met on the school's roof. Rin talked some more about her fear of changing into someone she's not, although she admitted to sometimes wanting to be different. She also revealed that she chose to enter Yamaku despite having an opportunity to go to a normal school instead. She challenged Hisao's perception of the disabled students not being part of the "real" world, and then gave him an armless hug. Which could have been rather heartwarming if not for his feeling so awkward about it >.<

While it does look like Hisao is slowly getting closer with Rin in some ways, he also seems to be hopelessly held back by his inability to cope with his and others' conditions. I think he's even more angsty and irresolute in this story arc so far than the ones I played before, if only slightly so.