"Italian Emi" to be torchbearer at London Paralympics 2012

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Woody Alien

"Italian Emi" to be torchbearer at London Paralympics 2012

Post by Woody Alien »

Okay, this topic has only the slightest relevance to the game, but I think it's a heartwarmng story that shows many of the emotions conveyed by KS.

Beatrice "Bebe" Vio, age 15, started fencing classes since she was very young. However at age 11 she became victim of a very serious meningitis, that forced her to lose both legs and arms (so one could say that there's also a little bit of Rin in her) and start to use prosthetics. She didn't lose her passion though, and after a short period she began again to take fencing lessons. She expressed the desire to participate to London Paralympics 2012 as a fencer (she is also the only one fencer in the world without both arms and legs), but she wasn't chosen; however, thanks to the Paralympic.org site that started a petition to vote the torchbearers for the ceremony, she received more than 1000 mails and was subsequently asked to be a torchbearer.

I call her the "Italian Emi" not only because she's a cute, petite blonde girl, but also and more importantly because she has a very positive attitude: in every interview she always stresses the fact that she loves life and has no regrets about what happened to her, and sees sport as a mean to improve herself and do what she likes the most (though I have no idea if she also likes to take it in the ass LOL). I also know that she met with cripple runner legend Oscar Pistorius and expressed the desire to wear sometimes those running prosthetics: I couldn't find a photo of her with these, or the illusion would have been complete!

Image She and Pistorius

Jokes aside, I really like this story and I hope that Bebe will one day gain awards for her efforts and find her Hisao (not in the literal sense, obviously). What do you think?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
gRaViJa

Re: "Italian Emi" to be torchbearer at London Paralympics 20

Post by gRaViJa »

Wow... She has had a tough life but she made the best from it. People like her (and pistorius too, the male Emi!) are true inspirations.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Oogy

Post by Oogy »

Thanks for sharing this, always awesome to see people overcome whatever problems they have, especially in her case.
I don't normaly go on forums, but when I do, it's pretty damn sure that needed more of whatever it is the forums is about.
There just had to be -more- to "The Katawa Shoujo Experience". ( 100% completion D: )

100 pushup program, pretest: 55
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Someone said this once...

"Life finds a way"

It's a touching story. Give that fuzzy feeling after you read it, as if everything is OK in this world
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Megumeru wrote:Someone said this once...

"Life finds a way"
That was from Jurassic Park and they were talking about killer dinosaurs.
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

themocaw wrote:
Megumeru wrote:Someone said this once...

"Life finds a way"
That was from Jurassic Park and they were talking about killer dinosaurs.
Speaking of which.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.