Lilly
66%
Other
12%

Total votes: 673

Megumeru

Re: Team Shizune vs Team Lilly

Post by Megumeru »

You know, I just have that feel that we--participants in this board--has practically wring out this topic dry.

Congratulations...is in order?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Megumeru wrote:You know, I just have that feel that we--participants in this board--has practically wring out this topic dry.

Next topic, Team Hanako vs Team Emi!... or ... not.
Not Dead Yet
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Oddball wrote:
Megumeru wrote:You know, I just have that feel that we--participants in this board--has practically wring out this topic dry.

Next topic, Team Hanako vs Team Emi!... or ... not.
I'm for Team Yuuko vs. Team Kenji. I'd be curious where they get their team mates from.
TheMaskedWriter

Post by TheMaskedWriter »

Team Lilly vs. Team Hanako

Let the butthurt flow through you.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

TheMaskedWriter wrote:Team Lilly vs. Team Hanako

Naa, that's Team Emi... 8)
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

ShadeHaven wrote:

Naa, that's Team Emi... 8)
Team Emi vs Team Track Captain. The ultimate showdown.

Team Rin vs Team Manly Picnic sounds fair to me.
Hisao Nakai

Post by Hisao Nakai »

100% Completion - I <3 Lilly! - Where's the Miki Route?
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I'm afraid that would violate the Team L/H non-aggression pact I just made up.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Hisao Nakai wrote:Image
Two can play at this game, Mr. Nakai.

| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

So everyone gives Shizune a lot of flak for not responding to Hisao saying he loves her at her ending.

Did he actually sign it too?

I figured it was one of those, "tell the deaf girl my deepest thoughts because I know she can't hear me" things, like her first H scene.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

themocaw wrote:So everyone gives Shizune a lot of flak for not responding to Hisao saying he loves her at her ending.

Did he actually sign it too?

I figured it was one of those, "tell the deaf girl my deepest thoughts because I know she can't hear me" things, like her first H scene.
It's a bit difficult to tell. During that scene, Hisao speaks to Shizune using quotation marks instead of square brackets, which generally means he's speaking out loud and allowing to Misha to translate. And Misha is present during the entire scene, so there's no reason to think things are working any differently than normal.

Quotation marks are used when he says "I love you", which is honestly really weird. You'd think if Hisao wanted to express such a personal sentiment to Shizune, he would sign it directly instead of depending on Misha to translate. You do have to assume that Misha did translate it, though, because immediately after the statement, Hisao thinks "I pause, wondering if she'll look at me, confused, and ask why I'd say it out of the blue. She doesn't". I think it would be inexplicable for Hisao to expect such a reaction from Shizune if he knew Shizune hadn't gotten the message, and it would be similarly inexplicable for Misha to choose not to translate the message without Hisao specifically noting that refusal. Perhaps the only explanation is that Shizune was looking away from Hisao and towards Misha at the moment (note how Hisao expects her to turn and look at him, which means she was not looking at him in the first place), so Hisao decided to use Misha as a translator instead of signing directly because he didn't want to have to grab Shizune's physical attention beforehand.

Other considerations: Misha was within earshot, so even if Hisao was intending to say "I love you" as a more personal confession than as a message to Shizune, there's no way he could expect Misha not to translate it. Also, after saying "I love you", he continues conversing with Shizune ("Do they do that reunion thing here?") and she is clearly able to understand him, since she responds.

In the end, it's probably just one of those moments in Shizune's route that are just not written very well.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

A good poll would be "Hisao vs Shizune: Which do you hate more?" I personally hate neither, but I believe it would hold some interesting results.

And while I can maybe understand the hate for Hisao, Shizune just seem utterly misunderstood.
Last edited by ShadeHaven on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I think both tend to be misunderstood, just for different reasons.
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

Guest Poster wrote:I think both tend to be misunderstood, just for different reasons.
This. Hisao gets hate because when something bad happens, even if the girl he's with is at just as much fault as Hisao is, people tend to ignore the girl's involvement in the problem and blame Hisao for everything. This is especially common during Hanako's path.
As for Shizune, she tends to get hate for the same reasons that her fans, for what little there are, find her endearing. Her playful nature and being the leader type are either endearing or annoying to the reader. It seems that annoying is the general opinion, though.

Hisao's hatred is really undeserved in my opinion. He doesn't do anything really underhanded or bad, and even when he does screw up, he's always well meaning and thinking of others. I think the problem is that while he doesn't really do anything bad, he doesn't do anything to make us like him, either. He's just a nice guy in high school. And because the heroines get so much love, anything bad that happens is automatically blamed on Hisao, not on the girls for whatever they did to make the problem happen or make it worse, or on the player for guiding Hisao into making the dumb choices.
For my opinion on Shizune, I don't hate her. I didn't really hate her playfulness, and she does certainly do some cute things, like the whole thing with the touching of hands. My problem is that compared to the other girls, I found her rather...boring. I actually found myself being more interested in Hisao during her arc, and he's Average McBrownHair. Not to mention that I thought Misha's character was done so well and I related to Misha so much that she just stole the show.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Fretless wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:I think both tend to be misunderstood, just for different reasons.
This. Hisao gets hate because when something bad happens, even if the girl he's with is at just as much fault as Hisao is, people tend to ignore the girl's involvement in the problem and blame Hisao for everything. This is especially common during Hanako's path.
As for Shizune, she tends to get hate for the same reasons that her fans, for what little there are, find her endearing. Her playful nature and being the leader type are either endearing or annoying to the reader. It seems that annoying is the general opinion, though.

Hisao's hatred is really undeserved in my opinion. He doesn't do anything really underhanded or bad, and even when he does screw up, he's always well meaning and thinking of others. I think the problem is that while he doesn't really do anything bad, he doesn't do anything to make us like him, either. He's just a nice guy in high school. And because the heroines get so much love, anything bad that happens is automatically blamed on Hisao, not on the girls for whatever they did to make the problem happen or make it worse, or on the player for guiding Hisao into making the dumb choices.
For my opinion on Shizune, I don't hate her. I didn't really hate her playfulness, and she does certainly do some cute things, like the whole thing with the touching of hands. My problem is that compared to the other girls, I found her rather...boring. I actually found myself being more interested in Hisao during her arc, and he's Average McBrownHair. Not to mention that I thought Misha's character was done so well and I related to Misha so much that she just stole the show.
This pretty much sums up how I personally feel about each of these characters. Even your point about Shizune being boring. After the first playthrough I thought I just hadn't payed enough attention, but when I played through her arc a second time, nothing changed. It seems somewhat empty, but Misha filled the voids pretty nicely.