Question For Everybody

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: Question For Everybody

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote: Not to mention that it does feel kinda weird that only one or two girls benefitted from Hisao's friendship on any one route. The epilogue I want to see is one where everyone overcame their own demons, and graduate with a "I can take on the world" attitude.

No kidding. Thats why my favorite fanarts are the ones of them all hanging out as a group.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

pandaphil wrote:
YZQ wrote: Not to mention that it does feel kinda weird that only one or two girls benefitted from Hisao's friendship on any one route. The epilogue I want to see is one where everyone overcame their own demons, and graduate with a "I can take on the world" attitude.

No kidding. Thats why my favorite fanarts are the ones of them all hanging out as a group.
The five girls + Misha + Akira + Hisao at the summer house in Hokkaido. Lots of whiskey and other shots. Outasight's "I'll Drink to That" blaring from speakers and MV projected onto a screen (for Shizune's benefit). Rin drinking through a straw. Enjoy.

Alas, en masse chilling out together isn't quite canon.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
swifty

Post by swifty »

depressed? no i ended in laughter after getting rins bad ending :twisted:

but seriausly i cryd by hankos and lillys route
never truly depressed but that might be me being evil
however i can uderstaand why someone wpuld get depressed espacaly if you seen a simmalar scenario
or do i love
well there both in KATAWA SHOUJO THE BEST GAME AVAAAR!!!
Antarus

Post by Antarus »

After playing the game, I'm looking at life in a weird perspective compared to before. Not only that, but I also feel much more invigorated to be more productive.
Not sure if I'll stay active here. It's worth a try though, right?
rz3

Post by rz3 »

Maybe it's just because I'm a bit older, but none of the "seize the day" sort of sentiments lingered or hit me. Rather, I was left feeling a bit reminiscent and regretful for some of the possibilities and opportunities I didn't take when I was younger.

I think KS does a very good job of intimating, if not outright saying, that we all have problems and issues. In a world where those things are readily scrutinized, immortalized, and made fun of, it's something to make you think about your role in such a society, and the impact you can and/or do make.

**Umm, possible gameplay spoilers, I guess, from here on out**

As for the game itself, I've only played through Lilly and Hanako's stories so far, as I naturally likened towards them over the others. Hanako was.. a struggle for me. There was an abundance of subtleties within that relationship that irritated me as much as Hisao in his inner dialogues. "Painful History" is by far my favorite musical piece that I've heard. However, Lilly is the perfect character for my own personality. No, as someone's sig put it, not because she "puts out". The sexual instances are more of an undercurrent to their relationship, in my opinion. Lilly put herself out there for Hisao regularly to start and maintain their relationship; sexually and otherwise. When she really needs him to step up and solidify his feelings and want for her, he doesn't until it's too late. The good ending for her was perfect. Also, I liked Hanako's development a LOT more in Lilly's route.

Still, for whatever reason, Lilly's route depressed me, despite only doing her good ending. Hanako affected me much less than Lilly. I'm sure personal histories play a part in how affecting a character is for you, though. Discounting that, and only having played the two routes, I think Lilly is the best match for Hisao. I just find that their personalities match up very well.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hisao's personality actually have subtle changes according to who he hooks up with. As for Lily, her route actually touched on the most number of girls: herself, Hanako and Shizune. She is a semi-messiah, as I see it.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

The only depressing thing for me is I have played just about every VN and eroge there is. Nothing is as good as this one, not even close.

'Ever 17' & 'Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug That Makes You Dream' were recently tied for first IMO before I played this one. Now they seem woefully childish and pathetic in comparison.

Why is this depressing? Some people get through this game as their first VN and they think something along the lines of, "Wow this was really great, I want more like this," and they seek advice on the forums for other good VNs and the honest answer is, there are no other good VNs compared to Katawa Shoujo. It is all downhill from here. Katawa Shoujo avoids so many mistakes and pitfalls that other VNs tend to have; when you come across them you will see them for what they are and be thrown completely out of the experience. It is exactly the same as playing Persona 4 first and then trying earlier entries in the series or other JRPGS. Persona 4 fixes so many problems that it makes the previous games unplayable.

I realize I am in the minority when I feel that great games can obsolete older ones, but it is a very real thing for me, and it leaves me often feeling like there is nothing to do but replay and wait for the next great game.
Preferences: 1-Lilly 2-Emi 3-Hanako 4-Rin 5-Shizune
Play Order: 1-Hanako 2-Shizune 3-Emi 4-Lilly 5-Rin
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Coleman wrote:The only depressing thing for me is I have played just about every VN and eroge there is. Nothing is as good as this one, not even close.

'Ever 17' & 'Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug That Makes You Dream' were recently tied for first IMO before I played this one. Now they seem woefully childish and pathetic in comparison.

Why is this depressing? Some people get through this game as their first VN and they think something along the lines of, "Wow this was really great, I want more like this," and they seek advice on the forums for other good VNs and the honest answer is, there are no other good VNs compared to Katawa Shoujo. It is all downhill from here. Katawa Shoujo avoids so many mistakes and pitfalls that other VNs tend to have; when you come across them you will see them for what they are and be thrown completely out of the experience. It is exactly the same as playing Persona 4 first and then trying earlier entries in the series or other JRPGS. Persona 4 fixes so many problems that it makes the previous games unplayable.

I realize I am in the minority when I feel that great games can obsolete older ones, but it is a very real thing for me, and it leaves me often feeling like there is nothing to do but replay and wait for the next great game.
The main reason is that the setting is hyper-realistic compared to many VNs out there. When you get realistic settings, the results can be awesome.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Coleman wrote:I have played just about every VN and eroge there is.
Shenanigans. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Have you played RL? My sex slave is a classmate? ;)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

OtakuNinja wrote:

I have a feeling that second one does not have a realistic setting. I could be wrong though.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oddball wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:

I have a feeling that second one does not have a realistic setting. I could be wrong though.
The setting is mostly a school/house...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Umber

Post by Umber »

Answering OP.

Depressed? In a sense. To be honest, I'm usually depressed (issues and whatnot, not suicidal, no medical attention necessary), and Katawa Shoujo has put my life on hold, but at the same time, pushed it forward. In three days, I've only done two story arcs (Emi/Rin), yet my heart has been a nonstop tsunami of emotion. I would say earthquake, but that might insult Hisao THUMP THUMP THUMP MOTHERF///ER

This VN connected to me in more ways than one. Honestly, it was surprising. I, myself, have moved to a new school quite a few times, but unlike Hisao, I did not find and was not offered a companion. Wasn't as lonely as Hanako, but I definitely had (and still have) the hair-over-one-side thing going on. I also joined Art club those years, albeit with more success that Hisao. Or did I? My art is, after all, an interpretation. Regardless, the teachers, both in KS and IRL, were equally insane.

Family and friends are close, but few and far between. Like Emi, I lost my father in a car crash, and it was at this arc, my first one, that I really began to become emotionally connected. I have my limbs, but regardless, no "Dad" in my life. I lost him early on, so I don't remember much, but the thought of him still saddens me. My mother and I share this pain deeply.

Hopefully for you, this will wear off quicker than it might for me. Most of my life has changed because of this VN, and I'm striving to make those changes long term, unlike most of my post-[impacting story here] motivation bursts. I already loved running and sketching to begin with, and I'm working on those more, fitting in daily runs (I gave up on those frequently in the past, but provided with an inspiration...!) and lots of drawing, but sad to say I'm still as 'meh' about school as Rin. Nor as overly-cheerful and energetic as Emi.

My heart still aches. I went to school an emotional, sleep deprived shell of a human. However, my prediction is that it will turn into inspiration, that actions being done during this period of distress will stay long after my heart and mind finally settle down.

I've typed too much. First Post syndrome and lots of feels don't make a good combination. My point is that you should be fine. Most, if not everyone, seems as though their lives have been changed for the better, and I'm hoping us newcomers will follow through.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
McPiranha

Post by McPiranha »

It's weird, i'm doing my second play though, I can't remember how I felt on the first play though, but i'm more or less half way though the game, I saved and quit the game, then I felt like complete shit...kinda hard to explain...like my life at the moment isn't what I want it to be at all, like I should be doing something (I'm only 16 as well O_O), so glad there are others that feel the same, god damn I hope this feeling goes away -.-