Remove Adult Content?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Paddy
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Paddy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Three words for you: Leisure Suit Larry. A game series pretty much dedicated to getting Larry to score. Yet in the older games, depending on your age and your knowledge of old, 80s trivia, it could be anywhere from "clean" to "downright filthy".

It's a fun oddity about it - really it is - but doesn't the entire premise already boost it into the M for Mature/15+/17+ bracket regardless of what you see and what you don't?

KS with a sex-less or sexually vague plot (or with sex but also with parental guidance) could land a 12+ or 13+ rating and more than a few "recommended for teens" approvals. (I think it's a bit too deep, and probably would bore, preteens, but that might just be me.)

Even "clean" LSL seems rather cheap, sleazy, and shallow, and not at all conducive to being a good person.
/derail
Maybe it's for the best. I could see some people getting rather tensed necks back there.
This is a better direction for the thread to take, it seems. :)
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?

User avatar
Alexbond45
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am
Location: The United States of America

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Alexbond45 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I always wonder what VN I should read next, but everyone is always bashing all the other ones.
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.

User avatar
Paddy
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Paddy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Alexbond45 wrote:I always wonder what VN I should read next, but everyone is always bashing all the other ones.
Well, this came out of the clear, blue sky.
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?

User avatar
Alexbond45
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am
Location: The United States of America

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Alexbond45 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Well, Last time I checked, everyone is talking about other VNs, obviously. >.<
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.

Blaze

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Blaze » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm not complaining about the nudity. I'm complaining about the vagueness of your "disable adult content" checkmark. And frankly that's what the only useful point of the OP's post is, too.

If you meant "disable adult content", make it "adult content". (Given the situation, this is impossible.) If you meant "disable sex scenes", make it "sex scenes". (I'd say this is the best option.) If you meant neither, get rid of the damn thing.
Thank you! :P

I never said anything about my religious views, my nationality, or my views on pornography other than that "I would rather not see it." I never said anything about violence or innocence or marriage. I'm certainly opinionated on those things, but really. There are lots of unfounded assumptions being made here. I'm not here to write my life story - suffice to say that, for personal reasons, I've made a commitment not to view porn.

The main point of my post was that the checkbox is misleading. The manual in particular says "Disables all instances of adult content." It was reasonable for me to think there wouldn't be nudity. We can argue about what constitutes "adult content" but there was no indication of what was censored and what wasn't. That's the root of my problem.

If the nudity and sex is so integral to the game, the checkbox shouldn't be there at all. Just have it be a 18+ game and be straight with the audience so it doesn't cause problems for anyone. If the authors want the censorship option, I think it would be good to do it properly. Transparent sprites, black screens, etc would require very little effort on the programmer's part. It hardly feels like I've been "thrown a bone." If the authors don't have to worry about pleasing anyone, why bother? If the game doesn't change, it couldn't hurt to be more clear about the adult content on the website.

Thanks for listening.
-Blaze

User avatar
ziamatt
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by ziamatt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Blaze wrote:
The main point of my post was that the checkbox is misleading. The manual in particular says "Disables all instances of adult content." It was reasonable for me to think there wouldn't be nudity. We can argue about what constitutes "adult content" but there was no indication of what was censored and what wasn't. That's the root of my problem.
If the nudity and sex is so integral to the game, the checkbox shouldn't be there at all. Just have it be a 18+ game and be straight with the audience so it doesn't cause problems for anyone. If the authors want the censorship option, I think it would be good to do it properly. Transparent sprites, black screens, etc would require very little effort on the programmer's part. It hardly feels like I've been "thrown a bone." If the authors don't have to worry about pleasing anyone, why bother? If the game doesn't change, it couldn't hurt to be more clear about the adult content on the website.

Of course we can we argue about what constitutes "adult content" since that's what's really the issue here. You're upset because you consider nudity to be adult content that wasn't removed by the option. However the developers and some other posters here don't consider nudity to be adult content, so to them there is no vagueness because the option did exactly what it says on the tin: remove adult content (the explicit sexual scenes). What you define as adult content is the only relevant issue.

rydiafan
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by rydiafan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Blaze wrote:
I'm not complaining about the nudity. I'm complaining about the vagueness of your "disable adult content" checkmark. And frankly that's what the only useful point of the OP's post is, too.

If you meant "disable adult content", make it "adult content". (Given the situation, this is impossible.) If you meant "disable sex scenes", make it "sex scenes". (I'd say this is the best option.) If you meant neither, get rid of the damn thing.
Thank you! :P

I never said anything about my religious views, my nationality, or my views on pornography other than that "I would rather not see it." I never said anything about violence or innocence or marriage. I'm certainly opinionated on those things, but really. There are lots of unfounded assumptions being made here. I'm not here to write my life story - suffice to say that, for personal reasons, I've made a commitment not to view porn.

The main point of my post was that the checkbox is misleading. The manual in particular says "Disables all instances of adult content." It was reasonable for me to think there wouldn't be nudity. We can argue about what constitutes "adult content" but there was no indication of what was censored and what wasn't. That's the root of my problem.

If the nudity and sex is so integral to the game, the checkbox shouldn't be there at all. Just have it be a 18+ game and be straight with the audience so it doesn't cause problems for anyone. If the authors want the censorship option, I think it would be good to do it properly. Transparent sprites, black screens, etc would require very little effort on the programmer's part. It hardly feels like I've been "thrown a bone." If the authors don't have to worry about pleasing anyone, why bother? If the game doesn't change, it couldn't hurt to be more clear about the adult content on the website.

Thanks for listening.
-Blaze
What is adult content in your opinion ??

User avatar
Alexbond45
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am
Location: The United States of America

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Alexbond45 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Shouldn't It be obvious? The Political Term of "Adult Content" is anything that is shown that is something that has sex, nudity, and Ridiculous Violence that should not be viewed by children.
Source": http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adult_content.
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.

Blaze

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Blaze » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Well, yes. I do think that pornography is adult content.

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6041
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:17 am

Alexbond45 wrote:Shouldn't It be obvious? The Political Term of "Adult Content" is anything that is shown that is something that has sex, nudity, and Ridiculous Violence that should not be viewed by children.
Source": http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adult_content.
"should not be viewed by children" is another thing that is very subjective.
I think the plot of Rin's arc would do more to disturb children than a few drawn boobies.
And children shouldn't read KS anyway.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
SephkaBlight
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by SephkaBlight » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:39 am

And children shouldn't read KS anyway.

I think this pretty much sums this topic up.

User avatar
Daitengu
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Daitengu » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:35 am

Blaze wrote:nationality, or my views on pornography other than that "I would rather not see it." I never said anything about violence or innocence or marriage. I'm certainly opinionated on those things, but really. There are lots of unfounded assumptions being made here. I'm not here to write my life story - suffice to say that, for personal reasons, I've made a commitment not to view porn.

Wait a second. What kind of super pervert does it take to thinks the KS sex scenes are porn? hell KS is like anti-porn. I didn't fap for a week <.<

I can't support your views because you view of what porn is in relation to KS is objectionable.

Guest Poster

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Guest Poster » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:13 am

Porn is an extremely subjective term. Some people believe that everything that depicts nudity is porn (which would include biology books and art galleries), others believe everything that depicts sexual intercourse is porn (including stories where it makes sense) and others believe something is only porn if sexual tintillation is the core purpose of the work.

The term according to wikipedia is: "Pornography or porn is the explicit portrayal of sexual subject matter for the purposes of sexual arousal and erotic satisfaction."

If a sex scene is enough to make the entire work pornographic, then The Matrix: Reloaded is a porn movie too. Obviously, most people don't see it that way. Seeing the mature handling of sexuality in KS, I can't really classify it as porn myself.

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Aura » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:13 am

Alexbond45 wrote:Shouldn't It be obvious? The Political Term of "Adult Content" is anything that is shown that is something that has sex, nudity, and Ridiculous Violence that should not be viewed by children.
Source": http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adult_content.
Note how your "source" does not mention nudity.
Blaze wrote:Well, yes. I do think that pornography is adult content.
Yes, we do too. That's why "disable adult content" toggle removes the sex scenes. Nudity, however, is not adult content for us just like swearwords, darker story themes and drinking are not, and that's what matters here. The toggle is not there to make KS "clean", it's for the people who have a distaste of explicit sex (the feature was requested a lot, and about half of 4LS loathes it being there). Too bad you didn't get what you expected, but it's our game, we go by our standards.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
Daitengu
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Remove Adult Content?

Post by Daitengu » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 am

Guest Poster wrote:Porn is an extremely subjective term. Some people believe that everything that depicts nudity is porn (which would include biology books and art galleries), others believe everything that depicts sexual intercourse is porn (including stories where it makes sense) and others believe something is only porn if sexual tintillation is the core purpose of the work.

The term according to wikipedia is: "Pornography or porn is the explicit portrayal of sexual subject matter for the purposes of sexual arousal and erotic satisfaction."

If a sex scene is enough to make the entire work pornographic, then The Matrix: Reloaded is a porn movie too. Obviously, most people don't see it that way. Seeing the mature handling of sexuality in KS, I can't really classify it as porn myself.
The dictionary lists it as: writings, pictures, films, etc, designed to stimulate sexual excitement.

Which is similar to Wiki's definition. The goal of porn is to sexually stimulate. By definition if the creator's goal is not sexual stimulation, it would not be porn. The kama Sutra for example is more of a textbook on sex positions for yoga practitioners.

Calling all nudity and sex, porn, just because it's personally objectionable is a gross misuse of words. It'd be like the government calling protestors terrorists. I've said it once before but there's 3 kinds of nudity and sex. Artistic, natural, and porn. Lumping it all together is just tossing out the baby with the bathwater. There's plenty of nudity and sex in National Geographic and fine art, but no one in a reasonable mind would call it porn.


Besides, I think it takes a pretty messed up person to get aroused from scenes in KS. Some I actually cringed at reading.

Post Reply