Which relationship do you think will last?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Which relationship do you think will last the longest?

Hanako
26%
Emi
12%
Shizune
4%
Lilly
29%
Rin
3%
All of the Above
8%
None (They are all just first loves)
3%
Or More than one of the above
14%

Total votes: 594

Snow_Storm

Re: Which relationship do you think will last?

Post by Snow_Storm »

So...encountered Cpl_Curd's (non-canon) epilogue for Hanako's route "A Runner's Afternoon" a while back ago.

Let's just say...things won't be as crack up as it will be if you think Hanako and Hisao would last after KS.
Logan812

Post by Logan812 »

Snow_Storm wrote:So...encountered Cpl_Curd's (non-canon) epilogue for Hanako's route "A Runner's Afternoon" a while back ago.

Let's just say...things won't be as crack up as it will be if you think Hanako and Hisao would last after KS.
But that's only if one would consider that epilogue to be correct (Cpl_Curd even admitted that he was trolling to some extent.) In the end, it still works out, but it's a very rough road.
Favorite Routes in Order: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
Favorite Characters: Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin > Emi
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Snow_Storm wrote:So...encountered Cpl_Curd's (non-canon) epilogue for Hanako's route "A Runner's Afternoon" a while back ago.

I've read it. It's not a bad story, but I just can't buy into it.

I just can't see Hanako giving up on a person and leaving, especially when they need her.
Not Dead Yet
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Oddball wrote:

I've read it. It's not a bad story, but I just can't buy into it.

I just can't see Hanako giving up on a person and leaving, especially when they need her.
(Marking these as spoilers just in case somebody is planning on reading the story)

The only reason she left him was because she was so distraught over his heart attack that she had a huge mental break down that required her to be in a mental health hosptial for a lil bit in which she had an affair with one of the doctors.

And like somebody stated earlier, it was mostly cpl_curd trolling all the hardcore Hanako fans just to piss them off by making her cheat on Hisao after his heart attack by sleeping with her doctor. Granted, I do like the story because it basically shows you her fully out of her shell and independent.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Megumeru wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Lilly's not perfect. Her flaws simply take more effort to notice than Shizune's. But not that much more effort if you pay attention.
Just like how Shizune's character is easily misunderstood.
Shizune's positive aspects are as subtle as Lilly's flaws. :lol:
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Marking these as spoilers just in case somebody is planning on reading the story)

The only reason she left him was because she was so distraught over his heart attack that [spoilers]she had a huge mental break down that required her to be in a mental health hosptial for a lil bit in which she had an affair with one of the doctors.[/spoilers]

And like somebody stated earlier, it was mostly cpl_curd trolling all the hardcore Hanako fans just to piss them off by making her cheat on Hisao after his heart attack by sleeping with her doctor. Granted, I do like the story because it basically shows you her fully out of her shell and independent.
I wouldn't really call it cheating. She married her doctor, but was convinced that Hisao wanted nothing to do with her anymore. Basically, when Hisao has a heart attack at the Satou summerhouse, they're separated and all the character development from KS gets thrown out. Hisao is once again a bitter person who resents his condition and who stops believing in other people and Hanako is once again a nervous wreck who clings to the closest supplier of safety she can find and since this supplier is male this time instead of blond, blind and motherly, she ends up marrying him, only to divorce him when she realizes how unhealthy the premise of that relationship was.

Hisao believed Hanako gave up on him because she wasn't there at the hospital when he woke up nor ever visited, so he didn't try to contact her anymore. Hanako believed Hisao gave up on her because he never came to visit her or get in contact with her. Once they learned the truth about each other, they quickly got together again. So their bond truly is strong. If Hisao had been made aware of Hanako's breakdown while he was in the hospital, he'd have went after her the moment he was released. But he wasn't and that's kind of my main gripe with the story.

Apparantly Hisao and Hanako were dating for several years by the time of the heart attack and the attack itself took place at a Satou residence, but neither Hisao's parents nor Lilly (white knight) Satou ever bothered to tell Hisao that Hanako wasn't by his side because she had a breakdown. So it's not so much the relationship couldn't last between them, the story just shows their relationship has trouble with diabolicus ex machinas.
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

encrypted12345 wrote:Shizune's positive aspects are as subtle as Lilly's flaws. :lol:
I have to agree. People don't miss Lilly's "flaws" they just don't consider them important enough to matter. Lilly's flaws are so minor and easy to overcome that calling her flawed is kinda hard to take... 90% of people wish they were anywhere close to as perfect as Lilly. I mean when your flaws are "You're too nice and too considerate" it's hard to feel that sorry for you (unless you're being taken advantage of which Lilly is not). Likewise I can't think Shizune is that hard to understand. I personally like her character, I think her drive and competitiveness is charming and challenging in a very good way. Then again there are people who will see those traits in a negative light (and they can be).

Anyway on to the topic: Being a hopeless romantic about these kinds of things I have to hope they all make it (if only for my own sanity in some cases). Still some did leave me hanging.
1) Lilly has a perfect relationship. Her "major problem" in her path wasn't even a problem between her and Hisao it was the classic "Oh I've been called away to live elsewhere" plot point. With that out of the way we have zero indication that they have anything but a loving and caring relationship.

2) Emi and Hisao seem to go well with each other. Hisao was the person who stuck with her even after she pushes him away (as well as being the only person she ever really opened up to on her own choosing) and Hisao finds her charming. Again I don't think we as the reader were given any real indication that there was any fear their relationship wouldn't last or that they have lingering problems. The comment that she might freak out if Hisao ever did have a heart attack does kinda hit home for me, though I could see it working out to only make her hold on to him that much harder (plus she is aware of his condition, being there when he had a problem on their first run, as well as knowing he'll chase after her anyway even with his condition when he does so in the "bad path" to the good ending).

3) Hanako has a pretty positive ending. They both laid out their faults and feelings to each other which is quite important. Beyond that they have good chemistry with similar tastes and personalities. While it might be true that Hanako is probably the character who will go through the most changes in the future I don't see that as necessarily being a sign that she and Hisao won't stay together. I like to think that her growth will bloom into a deeper and closer bond moving away from the protector/protected and into being a couple.

4) Rin is where I say I hope they do for my sanity. The thought of them not being together is really sad to me (though after the good ending I suppose them drifting apart and still being friends wouldn't be that bad). All the same after the trials they faced along their path (they had by far the harshest one), if Hisao can still be with her at the end of it (he has seen and been with Rin at one of her lowest points and experienced one of his own) then I have very good feelings that they can make it into the future. As for the idea that she will follow after Hisao in life (or he after her), being dependent instead of independent, I would probably say I agree but then I also don't think that would be such a bad thing. I can't say I see Rin as a person who will ever make enough money for herself to live on (it's just not her) but there are relationships that don't hinge on both parties having a career. Thinking about it now I kinda giggle at the idea of Rin trying to be a housewife... And then there is the image of them sitting in a modest garden, Rin painting and looking at the sky and Hisao reading and looking at her, content in their silence. I think it would work.

5) Shizune is the one I doubt and it's entirely the fault of the story as to why. As I was reading their story I had no problems believing they could make it but then the end just made me go "Wha?" Hisao is talking about how he will "chase after her" and being focused on the 10 year reunion and I'm just sitting there going "Seriously? What is stopping you from going with her now? This is the good ending?" And I'm still not sure why it ends like that. Especially after I read all the others (Shizune's was my first) I can't understand why it left it unclear like that. Still I hope Hisao pulls his rear in gear and sticks with her because outside of the weird ending I think they would make it just fine.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly

Post by Guest »

One thing that's always struck me about the Shizune path (the end is vague, yes, but very hopeful), is that scene on the roof in act IV (The Summit). She basically says she admires you (pretty high praise from Shizune) and that you made her feel like everything was worthwhile, implying that was not the case before she met you, though in a sort of backhanded sort of way (was very surprised, but also thought you might 'kind of' be easily influenced [the use of 'very' and 'kind of' seems to make me think she was just hedging her bets - she really was surprised, but of course thought of all the possible reasons that this might be the case - either you made a real change, or you were just being sheep... real change is what I am betting on, and what she was betting on as well, giving her use of very and kind of - duh!]). To me it seems like a pretty valid and heartfelt expression of love, even if she doesn't use the term itself. I mean, if some one can make you feel that 'everything' is worthwhile (and Hisao does ask 'everything?') where it was not before than perhaps this person is pretty damn important to you.

Anyhow, loved this VN and all the characters... but Shizooooon was my favorite. I also really liked Lilly. Seems to be rare to like both. Different, but nice to see both sides. I also really liked seeing Shizune make the first move to reconcile with Lilly in her path (as she was leaving for Scotland) after playing Shinuze's first. Loved the weekend at Hasio's fanfic as well (they made up there, too). INTP, btw. Saw the Meyers-Briggs in an earlier discrussion, thought it was sort of interesting.

Oh... another thing from a different thread... her being selfish and leading folks around, for selfish reasons, including you (bad end [she explains this in the good end])... She clearly states that leading without a goal (as she has been doing) is selfish,lash this way and that.... in the good ending she realizes that goal; to help others, to become a philanthropist (what she always wanted anyway, just now realized)... it is only in the bad ending that she condemns herself and decides she is just destructive (thus bad ending... duh).

Anyway my 2 cents on my favorite character.
Cossack Commissar

Post by Cossack Commissar »

If anything, the "Final Finale" should be taken as a more probable epilogue.
Last edited by Cossack Commissar on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best girl: Image
Cossack Commissar

Post by Cossack Commissar »

Murkglow wrote: 3) Hanako has a pretty positive ending. They both laid out their faults and feelings to each other which is quite important. Beyond that they have good chemistry with similar tastes and personalities. While it might be true that Hanako is probably the character who will go through the most changes in the future I don't see that as necessarily being a sign that she and Hisao won't stay together. I like to think that her growth will bloom into a deeper and closer bond moving away from the protector/protected and into being a couple.
I completely agree with you. Her changes will result, if anything, in a more balanced relationship, in which Hanako and Hisao are equals.
Best girl: Image
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I think any of them can and will last forever, though I admit that's an experiential bias. I've been in precisely one relationship, and I'm still in it. I met her in high school 12 years ago, and she's now my wife.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
darkrei

Post by darkrei »

I readed that "epilogue" of hanako's story.

I couldn't think to anything else than trololo singing while I was reading,honeslty. :lol:
I think he did that just to laugh a bit at hanako's fans,so,if you take it this way it's pretty funny.
though,if you take it seriously,this is,of course,pretty stupid.

otherwise,it is very probable that hanako is the one likely to have the longest relationship with hisao...after all,he is kinda the first to treat her as his egal,in the end...
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Guest wrote:One thing that's always struck me about the Shizune path (the end is vague, yes, but very hopeful), is that scene on the roof in act IV (The Summit). She basically says she admires you (pretty high praise from Shizune) and that you made her feel like everything was worthwhile, implying that was not the case before she met you, though in a sort of backhanded sort of way (was very surprised, but also thought you might 'kind of' be easily influenced [the use of 'very' and 'kind of' seems to make me think she was just hedging her bets - she really was surprised, but of course thought of all the possible reasons that this might be the case - either you made a real change, or you were just being sheep... real change is what I am betting on, and what she was betting on as well, giving her use of very and kind of - duh!]). To me it seems like a pretty valid and heartfelt expression of love, even if she doesn't use the term itself. I mean, if some one can make you feel that 'everything' is worthwhile (and Hisao does ask 'everything?') where it was not before than perhaps this person is pretty damn important to you.
Wow. That should be in one of our Shizune threads, it's really nice insight.

Some of us have said how Shizune develops alongside Hisao in her route and that they build a very strong connect over the course of the game, and that is a great example of it.
Lolzster

Post by Lolzster »

Well personally:

Emi: Yeah I would say this could definitely last as they both really love each other by the end of the routes and Hisao proves himself to be the caring lover he is

Lilly: Another one I would say that would last. When the good ending plays out, you just feel so emotionally overwhelmed, its so well written you just know that its a lasting relationship
Hanako: This could last although I have doubts. Depends whether or not Hanako will become more confident in future

Shizune: I found the good ending of this very abrupt and didn't know what to make of it.... I don't think this could last very long because I don't see Shizune being a compassionate lover as with the other girls, she never was an understanding person from my perspective

Rin: well.... I don't think so... this could be a relationship where one day Rin says 'Hello Hisao, lets break up... goodbye'

Therefore I voted for more than one of the girls
ImageImage
Favourite routes: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune

Most Feels in route: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Rin (frustration doesn't count as feels)> Shizune

Yes I love Lilly and hate Shizune... deal with it :)
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I think Emi. Lilly probably as well,but my pessimism says that eventually Lilly would resent having to stay away from her family.